Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, HamishA. said:

Can't handle all this chat of Green Day, Arcade Fire, LCD, The Smile and 1975 (my gf's absolute favourite band), I cannot believe that any of them are going to play, just to be left heartbroken.

Wouldn't the bigger surprise set be on The Park rather than John Peel? I just noticed they have a 45 min set-up time for that TBC, compared to 30 for everyone else on that stage... also going up against Elbow, Kacey M, Turnstile and Mcfly (lol) means theres good competition there, surely this is the bigger surprise act??

Yeah it would make sense that the later Park slot is the ‘bigger’ one, although that’s not to say that they can’t both be massive as they can just close off the tent/field once it reaches capacity either way to stop it getting overcrowded. 

Although there being nothing of real note against that JP slot means it’s gonna get busy fast I feel - definitely gonna get there very early, pre-Sports Team if it sounds like it’s gonna be somebody worth seeing. 

26 minutes ago, Sku said:

The Green Day "logistics" argument is just going round and round in circles. It doesn't prove, or disprove anything.

Being in Huddersfield the day before, and Dublin the day after is meaningless in figuring out whether it's them playing or not. Far greater distances are travelled by acts on consecutive tour dates, all around the world, every week. It's really not an issue.

There are two travel routes:

• Tour bus through the night. It's extremely common for the tour bus to set off immediately after a show, and travel during the night. Every touring act is entirely used to this.
  • Helicopter. As mentioned, it's around an hour.

Almost none, if any, of the equipment will be shared between the main tour and Glastonbury. Everything will be in place waiting for them. They are one of the most successful bands of the past 30 years, it really isn't a problem, any logistics are very easily arranged.

But none of this means that they are playing. All I mean to say is the "logistically impossible" argument is just wrong. And especially since Amyl and the Sniffers, literally on the same tour as them, are playing the same stage, on the same day. There is no logistical challenge here at all.

No-one has said it's logistically impossible, just that it would be hard. 

"Far greater distances are travelled by acts on consecutive tour dates, all around the world, every week. It's really not an issue."

Please can you point out a few recent stadium shows going from the UK to Ireland with no days in between? These are the ones I was able to find, but maybe I'm missing a whole bunch who go direct from UK to Ireland without a day inbetween.

RHCP - 2 travel days London -> Ireland

Guns n roses - 2 travel days Ireland -> London

Stereophonics - 3 travel days Ireland -> Cornwall

westlife - 2 travel days Cardiff -> Belfast

3 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

"Far greater distances are travelled by acts on consecutive tour dates, all around the world, every week. It's really not an issue."

Please can you point out a few recent stadium shows going from the UK to Ireland with no days in between? These are the ones I was able to find, but maybe I'm missing a whole bunch who go direct from UK to Ireland without a day inbetween.

Amyl and the Sniffers are making the exact same journey Green Day will need to make. Why can one do it and not the other? 

1 minute ago, ErnestWorthing said:

They wouldn’t bring their whole stadium tour headline setup though for an hour slot. 
Nothing to stop most of the trucks going one way and them bringing a smaller selection of kit this way. 

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

Amyl and the Sniffers are making the exact same journey Green Day will need to make. Why can one do it and not the other? 

Because one is significantly larger than the other, one has more restrictive insurance regulations, one doesn't halt a multi million pound show if there's an issue and they don't make it.  Green day can do it, I just don't think they will.

3 minutes ago, t0paz said:

They wouldn’t bring their whole stadium tour headline setup though for an hour slot. 
Nothing to stop most of the trucks going one way and them bringing a smaller selection of kit this way. 

Nope, it is possible, but it would need a lot of sorting out, which is why I (and others) are saying it would be logistically tricky.  Tour managers for stadium shows don't like tricky, they like smooth, easy, simple.

On 6/16/2022 at 7:52 AM, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen him mentioned elsewhere but could one of the secret sets be George Ezra? He has a new album, has performed there before, has a gap in his schedule 🤷‍♀️

wonder if he could be doing one of the Sunday slots?

Wouldnt be suprsied if he's also a covid back up, staying in the fests good books

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

This Green Day chat is based on nothing other than hearsay at the minute, right? Like, we don't have anything remotely close to being from credible sources?

Somebody said they’d heard they’re booked to stay somewhere 12 miles from the festival. 

7 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

This Green Day chat is based on nothing other than hearsay at the minute, right? Like, we don't have anything remotely close to being from credible sources?

It's just hearsay. Someone said they are staying nearby. Someone said they know a mate working JP who says its them. But that is just hearsay.

However, Amyl and the Sniffers, who are their support on the tour are also playing JP that day.

And the other thing, is that the same secret set was also being widely discussed in 2020. And the dates line up exactly the same again in 2022, which lends the idea some credit.

Edited by Sku

6 minutes ago, Sku said:

It's just hearsay. Someone said they are staying nearby. Someone said they know a mate working JP who says its them. But that is just hearsay.

However, Amyl and the Sniffers, who are their support on the tour are also playing JP that day.

And the other thing, is that the same secret set was also being widely discussed in 2020. And the dates line up exactly the same again in 2022, which lends the idea some credit.

Also Billie Joe was there in 2019. I know his son was playing, but his son also played a bunch of other shows that he could’ve gone to so there’s definitely reason to believe he was there to take a look at the festival before playing (although why it’d be just as a secret set and not headlining outright I’m not sure - maybe secret set first, gage reception, then do the full thing?)

Edited by FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Also Billie Joe was there in 2019. I know his son was playing, but his son also played a bunch of other shows that he could’ve gone to so there’s definitely reason to believe he was there to take a look at the festival before playing (although why it’d be just as a secret set and not headlining outright I’m not sure - maybe secret set first, gage reception, then do the full thing?)

If they do play this year, surely it is with the view of headlining next year. 

They would absolutely smash a headline slot and are every inch big enough to do so. 

36 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Because one is significantly larger than the other, one has more restrictive insurance regulations, one doesn't halt a multi million pound show if there's an issue and they don't make it.  Green day can do it, I just don't think they will.

That's the point being made though, that feasibly they could do it. Not necessarily that they will, but it's really not beyond the realms of possibility.

I’ve been very against the idea of it being Green Day for a multitude of reasons and I’m not gonna get so sucked in that when it isn’t them I’m disappointed, but I’m certainly coming round to the idea of it being a possibility - there are a few things that point to it being them more than any other act right now, anyway, although I’m sure we’ll get a some kind of indication of who it actually is prior to the festival (or at least before the actual set).

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although there being nothing of real note against that JP slot means it’s gonna get busy fast I feel - definitely gonna get there very early, pre-Sports Team if it sounds like it’s gonna be somebody worth seeing. 

Same - I'm torn between Sports Team and Sea Girls, though can see one here and one at Kendal so it's not a huge clash. Sports Team are very good live so should keep the crowd entertained