Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

Also worth adding that Amyl and the Sniffers are playing on JP on the Sunday and are on tour with Green Day; if they can travel from Huddersfield and do it and then on to Dublin next day why can't Green Day.  And as others have pointed out Green Day played a secret set in the R1 Tent at Reading a few years back so have done short secret sets before and won't need the full production suite that they have on tour.  

I actually think this may happen with Green Day going on to headline Glastonbury and Download next year.  Download is going to be 4 days next year so could easily accommodate Green Day along with more traditional rock headliners.  

I'm thinking Green Day is just too hard logistically. Killers had a few days off after their secret set, so I'm thinking Green Day isn't happening.

I'm going with 1975 for JP, Jack White for Park and Mumfords for WG.

I think War on Drugs just haven't been booked.

Not hating whatsoever (i enjoyed the read). But That Eminem info is the worst i've seen on this platform. As if 

a) he books his room in his name

b) comes to just 'scope out' the worlds biggest festival

c) performs just as a guest with an artist he's not remotely (strongly) linked to really

It's Eminem. 

Come on lads and lasses let's keep suggestions at least relatively plausible on here. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, august1 said:

How busy would Jack White be at the Park if announced early? 

Busy, but hard to gage if it’d be ridiculously so. He’s still a big name who plays a lot of his old bands bangers, but has also gotten pretty weird with his solo stuff lately and isn’t quite the name he once was. The field would still be packed, but I’m unsure if they’d need to close it off for him…

edit: but I’m probably underestimating his appeal with a Glastonbury audience. Still a huge name regardless.

Edited by FloorFiller

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Busy, but hard to gage if it’d be ridiculously so. He’s still a big name who plays a lot of his old bands bangers, but has also gotten pretty weird with his solo stuff lately and isn’t quite the name he once was. The field would still be packed, but I’m unsure if they’d need to close it off for him…

I'm thinking if he's announced early could be a lesser crowd than AM/1975/GD fans all going up on the off chance. 

Depends on how many casual fans go up for a couple of hits. 

1 minute ago, Cuboid said:

Not hating whatsoever (i enjoyed the read). But That Eminem info is the worst i've seen on this platform. As if 

a) he books his room in his name

b) comes to just 'scope out' the worlds biggest festival

c) performs just as a guest with an artist he's not remotely (strongly) linked to really

It's Eminem. 

Come on lads and lasses let's keep suggestions at least relatively plausible on here. 

When I went to T in the Park he was on stage extremely late, apparently because they had to hire a coach to drive him across the muddy road to the stage so he didn't get his trainers dirty! Not sure how true that was, but can definitely see it 😀

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

edit: but I’m probably underestimating his appeal with a Glastonbury audience. Still a huge name regardless.

I would guess it wouldn't be as busy as Foals on The Park last time, would you say that's fair?

The Green Day "logistics" argument is just going round and round in circles. It doesn't prove, or disprove anything.

Being in Huddersfield the day before, and Dublin the day after is meaningless in figuring out whether it's them playing or not. Far greater distances are travelled by acts on consecutive tour dates, all around the world, every week. It's really not an issue.

There are two travel routes:

• Tour bus through the night. It's extremely common for the tour bus to set off immediately after a show, and travel during the night. Every touring act is entirely used to this.
  • Helicopter. As mentioned, it's around an hour.

Almost none, if any, of the equipment will be shared between the main tour and Glastonbury. Everything will be in place waiting for them. They are one of the most successful bands of the past 30 years, it really isn't a problem, any logistics are very easily arranged.

But none of this means that they are playing. All I mean to say is the "logistically impossible" argument is just wrong. And especially since Amyl and the Sniffers, literally on the same tour as them, are playing the same stage, on the same day. There is no logistical challenge here at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

This thread is starting to resemble transfer deadline day when players are spotted at airports or motorway service stations. 

P.s. did someone not mention Due Lipa on the telly this morning when talking about the 50th anniversary TV show on Sunday night.

She has a gig on the Sunday too.

My nerves can't cope with another 'please let it happen' thread akin to the weather one!

Green Day are one of my all time favourite bands and seeing them at Glastonbury would be a dream. I would rather someone just came up with something now to rule them out completely, as I think its highly improbable, yet still possible 😬

40 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Just seen that the drive from Huddersfield to Glastonbury is over 5 hours. Let's say they're off stage by 11 and somehow managed to set off by midnight. They'd have to drive through the night on their tour bus, or set off around 7am the next morning. All of this also rubbishes the rumour of them staying at that hotel near Glastonbury (unless that's the night after the set). Makes it very unlikely unless they have a private jet or are that set on playing a 1 hour Glastonbury set that they are willing to forego a proper night's sleep in between a successive run of tour dates. 

They ain't gonna be driving the bus. Isn't that one of The Sniffer's jobs?

8 minutes ago, Sku said:

The Green Day "logistics" argument is just going round and round in circles. It doesn't prove, or disprove anything.

Being in Huddersfield the day before, and Dublin the day after is meaningless in figuring out whether it's them playing or not. Far greater distances are travelled by acts on consecutive tour dates, all around the world, every week. It's really not an issue.

There are two travel routes:

• Tour bus through the night. It's extremely common for the tour bus to set off immediately after a show, and travel during the night. Every touring act is entirely used to this.
  • Helicopter. As mentioned, it's around an hour.

Almost none, if any, of the equipment will be shared between the main tour and Glastonbury. Everything will be in place waiting for them. They are one of the most successful bands of the past 30 years, it really isn't a problem, any logistics are very easily arranged.

But none of this means that they are playing. All I mean to say is the "logistically impossible" argument is just wrong. And especially since Amyl and the Sniffers, literally on the same tour as them, are playing the same stage, on the same day. There is no logistical challenge here at all.

100%. And this is also why The Smile shouldn’t be ruled out for the Park slot.

Can't handle all this chat of Green Day, Arcade Fire, LCD, The Smile and 1975 (my gf's absolute favourite band), I cannot believe that any of them are going to play, just to be left heartbroken.

Wouldn't the bigger surprise set be on The Park rather than John Peel? I just noticed they have a 45 min set-up time for that TBC, compared to 30 for everyone else on that stage... also going up against Elbow, Kacey M, Turnstile and Mcfly (lol) means theres good competition there, surely this is the bigger surprise act??