Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

41 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

IF (big if) it turned out one of them was Green Day, would that be the first instance of a big TBA/secret set being the acts first time playing the festival and them not already being an established friend of the festival type? Not counting the likes of Kesha who were relatively small at the time of their secret sets.

Aerosmith?

17 minutes ago, Toto Schillaci said:

Based on what? They're playing in Huddersfield the night before at a big event. They'll get off stage, full of adrenaline, no doubt indulge a little bit.

They'd have to either travel down towards Glastonbury immediately after their huddersfield gig late into the night, or get up the next morning and set off no later than 8am to make sure they arrive at the festival in time, leaving enough time to get to where they need to be within the festival.

Don't get me wrong I would love it, but the odds are very much stacked against.

Incredibly stacked against. It's almost impossible in fact.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

We never found out if they were gonna be billed or left a secret, so although they popped in my head, bit of a question mark overall.

Who knows. Billie was there in 2019. Maybe there is something to this.

23 minutes ago, Toto Schillaci said:

Based on what? They're playing in Huddersfield the night before at a big event. They'll get off stage, full of adrenaline, no doubt indulge a little bit.

They'd have to either travel down towards Glastonbury immediately after their huddersfield gig late into the night, or get up the next morning and set off no later than 8am to make sure they arrive at the festival in time, leaving enough time to get to where they need to be within the festival.

Just seen that the drive from Huddersfield to Glastonbury is over 5 hours. Let's say they're off stage by 11 and somehow managed to set off by midnight. They'd have to drive through the night on their tour bus, or set off around 7am the next morning. All of this also rubbishes the rumour of them staying at that hotel near Glastonbury (unless that's the night after the set). Makes it very unlikely unless they have a private jet or are that set on playing a 1 hour Glastonbury set that they are willing to forego a proper night's sleep in between a successive run of tour dates. 

Edited by downtherabbithole

Got to JP about half way through Frank carter's set. Managed to get right in the middle too for the Killers was perfect. Quite a few people left when Frank carter finished too.

I had a feeling we knew about the killers from the beginning of the week of the festival, was an open secret by then.

If it is Green Day I think you'll defo be ok getting there an hour before. 

2 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Just seen that the drive from Huddersfield to Glastonbury is over 5 hours. Let's say they're off stage by 11 and somehow managed to set off by midnight. They'd have to drive through the night on their tour bus, or set off around 7am the next morning. All of this also rubbishes the rumour of them staying at that hotel near Glastonbury (unless that's the night after the set). Makes it very unlikely unless they have a private jet or are that set on playing a 1 hour Glastonbury set that they are willing to forego a proper night's sleep in between a successive run of tour dates. 

In short, it's not happening.

So who else we got?

2 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Just seen that the drive from Huddersfield to Glastonbury is over 5 hours. Let's say they're off stage by 11 and somehow managed to set off by midnight. They'd have to drive through the night on their tour bus, or set off around 7am the next morning. All of this also rubbishes the rumour of them staying at that hotel near Glastonbury (unless that's the night after the set). Makes it very unlikely unless they have a private jet or are that set on Glastonbury that they are willing to forego a proper night's sleep in between a successive run of tour dates. 

Logistically I can't see it making sense, if they were going to do it they'd have built an extra day in to move a stadium show across the water to Ireland.  Technically they could do it, and I'd love it if they did, but practically it sounds like a stretch.

2 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Logistically I can't see it making sense, if they were going to do it they'd have built an extra day in to move a stadium show across the water to Ireland.  Technically they could do it, and I'd love it if they did, but practically it sounds like a stretch.

This is worse than the weather thread for any big Greenday fans (of which I am) I thought it was nailed on 2 pages ago so messaged the group 🤦‍♂️

Edited by watsonjm

6 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

I thought a lot of bands their size arrived by helicopter. Not saying it will happen just not impossible 

5 minutes ago, GmasterWomble said:

Got to JP about half way through Frank carter's set. Managed to get right in the middle too for the Killers was perfect. Quite a few people left when Frank carter finished too.

I had a feeling we knew about the killers from the beginning of the week of the festival, was an open secret by then.

If it is Green Day I think you'll defo be ok getting there an hour before. 

I was there for Frank Carter and left after. I did know it was The Killers but I didn't want to see them, I thought it was fairly solid info by then.

Just now, Hotchilidog said:

I was there for Frank Carter and left after. I did know it was The Killers but I didn't want to see them, I thought it was fairly solid info by then.

Yep I had never listened to Frank carter before but we only got there to get a good spot for The Killers but really enjoyed his set, made me wish I saw all of it. 

4 minutes ago, tarw said:

I thought a lot of bands their size arrived by helicopter. Not saying it will happen just not impossible 

It is technically possible, there are enough hours in the day for it to happen.  They would need two sets of equipment, because one of them will be on a boat.  They'd need to split the touring party up so fall out boy, weezer and their crew go onwards to Ireland and Green Day and their crew get a different bus to Glastonbury, perform, then get on a boat to Ireland the next day.  They'd be risking a multi million pound performance to do a secret set.  If there were problems with the ferries there's no margin for error.  I can't imagine any tour manager in their right mind approving it.

But it is possible.

Edited by ErnestWorthing

32 minutes ago, Toto Schillaci said:

Sleep on the 5 hour journey on a tour bus to Glastonbury?

I think it will happen. 

Another angle: if you were Glastonbury Festival and you were going to put a stadium sized act on for a secret set knowing full well that in 2022 everyone on site has internet access and word will be out in advance - would you schedule it for early doors at 2pm with no competition or would you choose to slot them in later in the afternoon/early evening to help with safety?

Can’t see any reason why they’d choose that time slot if it was someone huge, just doesn’t make sense from the festivals pov. 

Edited by MrRadioactiveCake

1 minute ago, ErnestWorthing said:

It is technically possible, there are enough hours in the day for it to happen.  They would need two sets of equipment, because one of them will be on a boat.  They'd need to split the touring party up so fall out boy, weezer and their crew go onwards to Ireland and Green Day and their crew get a different bus to Huddersfield, perform, then get on a boat to Ireland the next day.  They'd be risking a multi million pound performance to do a secret set.  If there were problems with the ferries there's no margin for error.  I can't imagine any tour manager in their right mind approving it.

But it is possible.

A band of this size have more than one set of equipment and it's not them who carries it! 

1 minute ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Another angle: if you were Glastonbury Festival and you were going to put a stadium sized act on for a secret set knowing full well that in 2022 everyone on site has internet access and word will be out in advance - would you schedule it for early doors at 2pm with no competition or would you choose to slot them in later in the afternoon/early evening to help with safety?

Can’t see any reason why they’d choose that time slot if it was someone huge, just doesn’t make sense from the festivals pov. 

It will get fenced off when the tent hits capacity, the same as they did for Killers. Still massive having 20k outside of the tent watching it too. Good press for the festival too. It isn't going to be someone like Paulo Nutini.

It will be someone like:

Mumford, Florence, 1975 or Green Day