Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah but at the same time as the Legend slot - there was a huge opportunity for splitting the crowd - even indie fans might miss that for the legend slot. If you put a big band on this year vs Herbie Hancock and Lianne La Havas there's not a whole lot of competition 

Being able to close the whole JP field makes it not much of an issue. Besides, The 1975 aren't as popular to a Glastonbury crowd as Reading & Leeds - just look at how they go down on here.

If it counts for anything (it doesn’t), The 1975 are good friends with Sports Team - the two lead singers have collaborated on things previously. Obviously Frank Carter was hardly mates with The Killers sooo yeah.

also the fan bases are similar-ish that maybe crowd control wouldn’t be a nightmare.

The one thing that feels off to me is why The 1975 would do a secret set two weeks before they are meant to come back. They’re a very “aesthetic”-oriented group; they definitely wouldn’t play their first new song in years, ten days before it’s meant to release. Even The Killers were promoting their new stuff. So it would be a friendly “remember us?” set.

11 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

If it counts for anything (it doesn’t), The 1975 are good friends with Sports Team - the two lead singers have collaborated on things previously.

Hahaha I thought it was the opposite? Swear Alex was joking that Matty/George wrote fishing?

1 minute ago, Supreme2 said:

Hahaha I thought it was the opposite? Swear Alex was joking that Matty/George wrote fishing?

Yeah I think you're right, dont think they get on.

15 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

If it counts for anything (it doesn’t), The 1975 are good friends with Sports Team - the two lead singers have collaborated on things previously. Obviously Frank Carter was hardly mates with The Killers sooo yeah.

also the fan bases are similar-ish that maybe crowd control wouldn’t be a nightmare.

The one thing that feels off to me is why The 1975 would do a secret set two weeks before they are meant to come back. They’re a very “aesthetic”-oriented group; they definitely wouldn’t play their first new song in years, ten days before it’s meant to release. Even The Killers were promoting their new stuff. So it would be a friendly “remember us?” set.

i dunno, i agree theyre all about the aesthetic, but then they played too shy live before they released it, and numerous other songs.. matty has already played a couple of new songs live when he surprised and supported bridgers in america.

I think they have a fairly big social media following but something that would really propel them forward prior to releasing their new stuff would be a glasto secret set on bbc

Aha you know what, looks like you might be on to something!! Think I misread some tweets many moons ago. I remember Sports Team released a shirt that Matty endorsed/posted on his socials that was related to their "beef". Maybe the secret set will be them all holding hands and doing karaoke for an hour

5 minutes ago, Btyler said:

i dunno, i agree theyre all about the aesthetic, but then they played too shy live before they released it, and numerous other songs.. matty has already played a couple of new songs live when he surprised and supported bridgers in america.

and yeah that's a good point. I was thinking more because it would be their first appearance after going quiet for over a year would just mean they'd be very conscious with how they go about it

3 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Could Kasabian be an option for one of these sets? Seem to be getting themselves out there at the moment, and it's a big name which can get away with being lower billed than in the past with Tom now missing

Think somebody asked them on social media (or possibly even in person) and they said they’re not there.

This could mean absolutely nothing. But on the Williams Green page on the Glastonbury website there is a video - and on the first frame there seems to be a cut out of Taylor Swift (and Daft Punk, amongst some others) with the caption - We've been going a while with secret shows, singalongs and general rambunctious behaviour. 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/williams-green/ 

Could this mean Tay Tay was planned to do a smaller secret set back in 2020 and this could be the one carried over into 2022?

I could be totally reaching here but thought I'd mention it in case 

8 minutes ago, Bat_89 said:

This could mean absolutely nothing. But on the Williams Green page on the Glastonbury website there is a video - and on the first frame there seems to be a cut out of Taylor Swift (and Daft Punk, amongst some others) with the caption - We've been going a while with secret shows, singalongs and general rambunctious behaviour. 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/williams-green/ 

Could this mean Tay Tay was planned to do a smaller secret set back in 2020 and this could be the one carried over into 2022?

I could be totally reaching here but thought I'd mention it in case 

I think you are reaching, and to be honest I hope you are. Not sure I could bare missing out on that. There was some talk of Taylor on her own thread as doing an acoustic set at the Park. I just can't see it happening unless it really is kept as a complete and utter secret..

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

No chance Taylor is doing anything by herself. Maybe a 0.1% chance she shows up as a guest with Macca but that's about it

Agreed.  If Glastonbury made sense for her schedule, she'd have taken up her headliner slot that was announced in 2020, just the other three headliners (including D Ross)

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Agreed.  If Glastonbury made sense for her schedule, she'd have taken up her headliner slot that was announced in 2020, just the other three headliners (including D Ross)

Don't kill the dream man!

Doesn't make sense for her in terms of touring a big production show and her album cycles. She can still do an acoustic set of Folkmore + All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor's Version).

The field will be closed off 5 minutes after Polachek finishes before the DiRo crowd can make it.

Edited by fightoffyour

Just now, GlastoFlow said:

Could Bombay Bicycle Club be an option? they’ve done a few smaller ‘warm up’ shows and are headlining some festivals. Plenty of space in their schedule too!

Somebody asked them a while back and they said they haven’t been asked back since their last performance (2014?).