Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

If Sault do end up playing then I really don’t see it being one of the big JP or Park secret sets - thousands of people turning up and not having a clue who the band on stage is even when the banner is dropped and then streaming back out again isn’t really what they want. 

Especially if they open with the new album 🤣

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

If Sault do end up playing then I really don’t see it being one of the big JP or Park secret sets - thousands of people turning up and not having a clue who the band on stage is even when the banner is dropped and then streaming back out again isn’t really what they want. 

Has to be the bbc intro spot. But so odd to give a band like that 30 mins and thats how they debut.

48 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

The Smile in France on Friday night and Luxembourg Monday night. But given Thom and Jonny's relationship to the festival, I don't think it's out the realms of possibility for them to fly back for the weekend. 

Yep, The Smile and TWOD for those Sunday slots. Calling it

You forgot theyre on Werchter Classic on the 25th. Thus why theyre truly out

There's a load of TBAs at Strummerville, so maybe Billy Joe does a solo acoustic set, rather than getting the whole band and their crew to travel?

I'm starting to think War on Drugs just haven't been booked. I remember the other year when Bonobo was booked at Bristol on the Friday and everyone assumed he'd appear at some point, but never did. He confirmed after that he'd never even been contacted by the festival. I've got a feeling it's a similar story here.

I think Jack White on The Park is more plausible.

Obviously, all hunches.

Gotta say that nearly all of these rumours are very underwhelming to me.

As most people have said, why would TWOD be secret if they were playing? Also, I feel like there's potential for me to look stupid here but what on earth is Sault???

I'm hoping they've got something hidden up their sleeve that's being kept very quiet at the moment if I'm honest.

Pure speculation and nothing more, but Arctic Monkeys are opening their new era in Turkey of all places at the start of August. You'd feel like a secret Glasto set to kick it off would be a massive deal. Arguably the biggest secret set there's ever been at the festival?

9 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Pure speculation and nothing more, but Arctic Monkeys are opening their new era in Turkey of all places at the start of August. You'd feel like a secret Glasto set to kick it off would be a massive deal. Arguably the biggest secret set there's ever been at the festival?

Unless they announce some shows nearer the time then it seems unlikely they’d kick off their tour with a single show over a month before their actual tour starts. Not impossible, and there’s still time for them to announce some maybe small warmup shows in the U.K., but unlikely I’d say, although they’re yet another act where somebody claimed they’d heard they were playing a secret set a while back, so who knows? They’d certainly be the biggest one yet, but I suppose this is supposed to be the biggest year yet so would make sense that they’d try and get at least one massive secret act. 

11 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Too big of a gap from end of June to August, they won't have rehearsed, got their shit together yet 

40 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I feel like there's potential for me to look stupid here but what on earth is Sault???

Me too, i have absolutely never seen that name, heard it, their music, anything. And theyve got five or six albums out ffs! i'm VERY out of touch, you'll find me in shangri-la desperately trying to find a DJ to play some Motley Crue 😆

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Me too, i have absolutely never seen that name, heard it, their music, anything. And theyve got five or six albums out ffs! i'm VERY out of touch, you'll find me in shangri-la desperately trying to find a DJ to play some Motley Crue 😆

Im jealous you get to find them for the first time. Inflo (the main guy from Sault) is a genius. (Produced Adele, Lil Sims and The Kooks).

Most of the posts on here are looking at the 3 big secret sets (WG Thursday, Park and JP Sunday) which is fair enough as they're by far the biggest, but thought i'd throw in a mention for the 'Special Un-Birthday Surprises' at the Rabbit Hole on Friday as part of Transgressive Records taking over there.

Few names picked out as current/previous artists on the label below who are active, would be for the 23:30-00:15 (overlaps Foals) and 01:00-01:45. Can't imagine the first one will be that big with the Foals overlap but who knows. Might not be anywhere this big, but not sure why it would be a surprise if it wasn't! Throw in your other suggestions too.

The Subways - First band they signed so would be rather apt. Just done a European run of shows and have UK Festivals lined up this summer.

Flume - New album released in May, just toured US and doing European festivals in July/August.

Loyle Carner - More of a wish than a prediction but played Parklife and has other festivals this summer so isn't completely silent although no new music or tour. Will be sprinting across from Foals/Little Simz if it happens.

Two Door Cinema Club - 1% chance if that, but imagine.

Bloc Party - Just done a UK Tour and have a fairly new album out. 

Arlo Parks - Already playing (twice I think based on the Introducing stage rumours) but might make sense in the earlier slot, especially as her set is in the Park on Friday.

There's also the 01:45-03:00 DJ Set, plenty of time for Yannis and co to get over from The Other Stage for a Foals DJ set right?

*EDIT - Just seen that there's another Un-birthday surprise slot on the Saturday at 19:00-19:45. Also another DJ set as a surpsise at 00:00-01:00. Opens it up even more. 

Edited by sjl97
Noticed extra set on lineup

5 minutes ago, sjl97 said:

Most of the posts on here are looking at the 3 big secret sets (WG Thursday, Park and JP Sunday) which is fair enough as they're by far the biggest, but thought i'd throw in a mention for the 'Special Un-Birthday Surprises' at the Rabbit Hole on Friday as part of Transgressive Records taking over there.

Few names picked out as current/previous artists on the label below who are active, would be for the 23:30-00:15 (overlaps Foals) and 01:00-01:45. Can't imagine the first one will be that big with the Foals overlap but who knows. Might not be anywhere this big, but not sure why it would be a surprise if it wasn't! Throw in your other suggestions too.

The Subways - First band they signed so would be rather apt. Just done a European run of shows and have UK Festivals lined up this summer.

Flume - New album released in May, just toured US and doing European festivals in July/August.

Loyle Carner - More of a wish than a prediction but played Parklife and has other festivals this summer so isn't completely silent although no new music or tour. Will be sprinting across from Foals/Little Simz if it happens.

Arlo Parks - Already playing (twice I think based on the Introducing stage rumours) but might make sense in the earlier slot, especially as her set is in the Park on Friday.

There's also the 01:45-03:00 DJ Set, plenty of time for Yannis and co to get over from The Other Stage for a Foals DJ set right?

Yeah I had a look at their roster. Subways or Bloc Party would be great. Mystery Jets have to be an option too, even if not active? They played basically this thing in 2019.

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Rabbit Hole Saturday TBA slot has gone, Delores Forever announced. That throws up the Paolo question. Still got a special unbirthday surprise 19:00-19:45 though I suppose.

There's two slots on the Rabbit Hole saturday night

*edit - two slots marked as 'Unbirthday' still available 

Edited by leath02

11 minutes ago, sjl97 said:

Where did it say Transgressive are doing these slots?

Are they also doing the UnBirthday slots on the Saturday too?

7 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Where did it say Transgressive are doing these slots?

Are they also doing the UnBirthday slots on the Saturday too?

Their anniversary or 'birthday' is always around this time of year and in 2019 they took over The Rabbit Hole with their own DJ's around their acts. http://www.transgressiverecords.com/news/detail/transgressive-takeover-the-rabbit-hole-at-glastonbury.

Although there hasn't been a formal announcement, it seems very much like they are doing the same again with their own DJ's already showing on the lineup.

51 minutes ago, sjl97 said:

*EDIT - Just seen that there's another Un-birthday surprise slot on the Saturday at 19:00-19:45. Also another DJ set as a surpsise at 00:00-01:00. Opens it up even more. 

I'm sure The Subways won the Glastonbury Battle of the bands thing many moons back so they've got links with the festival.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, leath02 said:

I thought the reading of the 'Un Birthday Slots' had been because they were special slots carried over from the 50th anniversary year that didn't happen in 2020. ie The festivals big birthday

That also adds up too, trying to cross-reference now from the 2020 poster (although they would have had more booked of course so may not be that useful). Potential artists from that lineup who aren't on in 2022 but would have a reason to play includes Fontaines DC, Kano, London Grammar, Aitch, AJ Tracey, Happy Mondays, Tom Misch, Soccer Mommy, Manic Street Preachers. Some huge ones there but without looking too much into it, Fontaines would be a very good shout.

1 minute ago, fingers_mark said:

I don't think it will happen personally, but The 1975's drummer George is going out with Charli XCX, who headlines JP on the Sunday....

How come you don't think so? I feel pretty good about this one given their recent activity, as well as I believe Matt42's information which places them there.