Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

14 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

I’d pay good money to see exactly that.

Would be absolutely incredible to see on the Park just as the sun was going down.

I want their headline R/L set this year to just be TBHC in full to a bunch of very confused teenagers.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I want their headline R/L set this year to just be TBHC in full to a bunch of very confused teenagers.

Or for their new album to be even less filled with bangers to really infuriate people. Bring on the three hour spoken word free-jazz oddysey. 

I’d love a Tranquility Base-heavy Mellow Monkeys set.

Four Out of Five

Star Treatment

Cornerstone

Piledriver Waltz

American Sports

TBH&C

Love is a Laserquest

Batphone

One Point Perspective

Riot Van

Reckless Serenade

Suck it and See

That’s Where You’re Wrong

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They did Leeds just after Humbug came out and this is exactly what happened then. Humbug is now maybe regarded as their best work but a lot of people hated it at the time I remember it well. 

I enjoyed it and was called pretentious at the time. I really enjoyed THBC when it came out and was also labelled pretentious. It’s a great record.

Thank god they’re not still singing songs about bumping into a bird from school on the way to the chippy for your Nan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Arctic Monkeys don’t have a problem producing great albums, they have a problem performing them.

Great albums. Absolute pony live.

(I’d still be there for a secret set though). 

That 2013 set is one of the best headline sets ever.

But I said a while back they deserved to tour TBHAC on the Pyramid so would certainly go for a full album secret set. 

2013 really wasn’t that bad. I was down in the pit and loved it.

I have a feeling a lot of people here watched it from the back or on the sidelines twitching to go and see someone else. Very few headline sets are enjoyable if you’re stood at the back.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

2013 really wasn’t that bad. I was down in the pit and loved it.

I have a feeling a lot of people here watched it from the back or on the sidelines twitching to go and see someone else. Very few headline sets are enjoyable if you’re stood at the back.

I’ve said time and time again most of the “Arctics fucked it” narrative is driven by people who weren’t even there.

I had a great time that night.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I’ve said time and time again most of the “Arctics fucked it” narrative is driven by people who weren’t even there.

I had a great time that night.

I’ve seen AM a few times. 2014 at both TITP and Reading.

TITP they actually stunk the place up. Setlist sucked. Crowd strangely wasn’t that into it either. That’s a time the “arctics fucked it”. Reading was slightly better but you could tell that Alex was exhausted. 

Glasto was miles ahead of the rest of the times I’ve seen them. 

I wasn’t there in 2013.

My comments re their live show come after seeing them at Reading 2006, Glasto 2007 and Finsbury Park on the AM tour (forget the year). 

Just one of those bands who are great on record, but lacklustre live. 

12 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I wasn’t there in 2013.

My comments re their live show come after seeing them at Reading 2006, Glasto 2007 and Finsbury Park on the AM tour (forget the year). 

Just one of those bands who are great on record, but lacklustre live. 

Can’t believe me eyes. I’ve seen them at least twice on each tour since 2007 and I’ve always thought they were mega live. Glastonbury 2013 set was class. Last time I seen them at Sheffield they were class. One of the most consistent live bands I think. 

What exactly is it you think they’re lacking live?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Can’t believe me eyes. I’ve seen them at least twice on each tour since 2007 and I’ve always thought they were mega live. Glastonbury 2013 set was class. Last time I seen them at Sheffield they were class. One of the most consistent live bands I think. 

Hard to say exactly. Guess it feels like they’re just going through the motions. 

The Maccabees were the same, loved them on record but the 3 or 4 times I saw them live it was just OK. No wow factor.

Compare that to a band like Hot Chip, who sound good on record, but live they are something else. Always such energy. 

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The common criticism is that they lack a bit of energy live and the band can look a bit blasé. 

Oh right. 

25 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Hard to say exactly. Guess it feels like they’re just going through the motions. 

The Maccabees were the same, loved them on record but the 3 or 4 times I saw them live it was just OK. No wow factor.

Compare that to a band like Hot Chip, who sound good on record, but live they are something else. Always such energy. 

I’m a fan of Hot Chip but I’d say Arctic Monkeys blow them out the water live. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I will say if you’re saying it’s a lack of energy when you’ve seen them live maybe get to a gig in the North and see if that crowd does it for you. Atmosphere is usually brilliant whenever I’ve seen them but the crowd was a bit shit at Primavera laughably tame really. 

45 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Same. Seen them 9 times in total and not once did they seem lacklustre. The Finsbury Park gig pissed me off but that was down to the dog shit sound system. As soon as I heard Tame Impala when I walked in, I hoped it was just them who sounded a million miles away. Twas not.

Certainly weren't lacking energy in Bham during TBHC tour. The jam leading into the title track was incredible. Turner was back and forth on his wheely piano chair absolutely loving it. Cannot fucking wait to see them again nor can I wait to see what brilliance he's come up with for the next album.

I wasn't at the 2013 set (opted for Portishead) but I've seen AM a number of times and thoroughly enjoyed each one! 

I have, however, realised how easy I am to please when it comes to live acts. Which is a good thing I suppose 😁