Glastonbury Veteran

shuttlep

Glastonbury Veteran   

199 members have voted

1. 1. How many Glastonbury's do you have to go to before you become a Veteran?

• 10+

On 4/16/2022 at 9:25 AM, HowdyBoss said:

Back in 1999 I shared some of my photos with Neil and they ended up in an eFestivals gallery for a good while. That was the days of Julian Oolian and William of Walworth. Who remembers the forums back then?

Very much so, I'll have a pint with Wow and festivaldeb over Glastonbury w/e I'm sure

14 hours ago, clarkete said:

For anyone who considers themselves a veteran, this place I stumbled across has some intriguing old content...

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/flyers/glastonbury/index.html - "We got some of the earlier posters/advertisments when we went to interview Michael for a college project"

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/photographs_rave.html - "This section contains photographs of raves we went to, parties and other events involving myself and friends" - which includes Glastonbury 1992-2002

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/newspaper_clippings.html - "This is a collection of news paper articles collected from 1990 onwards, mostly dated around 1992" - also includes the newspaper from 94 when the pyramid burned down, some stuff about Johnny Cash etc.  Some of the clippings include some of the darker stuff which you used to hear rumours about on site but struggle to find out about before mobiles and t'internet - violent crime etc.

Love the links - well done - will go hunting later

13 hours ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

Just spent a very pleasant 30 minutes looking at these photos and reading the newspaper clippings.  Thanks for posting the links.  I was there in 94 and remember some of our group coming back to our camp saying that they'd seen / heard people shot!!!  

13 hours ago, clarkete said:

I too remember hearing that! 

I was nowhere near the shooting but it was all over Security radio on that Saturday Evening - bar was roughly 1/2 between the Pyramid and the Acoustic area. 

Any incident near any Bar and the message is sent to every other Bar
and for a short period the Tent Manager {the boss of that Bar} Closed the bar I was working in - time for a smoke out the back and then the all Clear message came though and the Bar was reopened again

## Big Note here - Not every bar closed ## 

Bar Security { real name 'Specialized Security' although most people call them Scottish Security - the mob you see at the barrier of the Pyramid } was on high alert although most Customers I doubt would have knowing anything had happened.

but by the Sunday there was loads of people claiming they had seen it - I doubt they had.  

A news report of it   

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, glasto-worker said:

Love the links - well done - will go hunting later

I was nowhere near the shooting but it was all over Security radio on that Saturday Evening - bar was roughly 1/2 between the Pyramid and the Acoustic area. 

Any incident near any Bar and the message is sent to every other Bar
and for a short period the Tent Manager {the boss of that Bar} Closed the bar I was working in - time for a smoke out the back and then the all Clear message came though and the Bar was reopened again

## Big Note here - Not every bar closed ## 

Bar Security { real name 'Specialized Security' although most people call them Scottish Security - the mob you see at the barrier of the Pyramid } was on high alert although most Customers I doubt would have knowing anything had happened.

but by the Sunday there was loads of people claiming they had seen it - I doubt they had.  

A news report of it   

Interesting that if you google the witness Esmond Holden at 1.27 this is what comes up 😄

image.thumb.png.71ed1b1e908f92c713753e18c22bca21.png

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Interesting that if you google the witness Esmond Holden at 1.27 this is what comes up 😄

image.thumb.png.71ed1b1e908f92c713753e18c22bca21.png

well spotted - just a shame the guy was blocking the view of the bar as 
I may have been able to work out its location.

ba2r.thumb.jpg.6682ce125d16eef38c5777829b46c415.jpgba24r.thumb.jpg.cb165240bb5a4c39643791478dc05e43.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

well spotted - just a shame the guy was blocking the view of the bar as 
I may have been able to work out its location.

ba2r.thumb.jpg.6682ce125d16eef38c5777829b46c415.jpgba24r.thumb.jpg.cb165240bb5a4c39643791478dc05e43.jpg

looks like the tree line that leads into the other stage area from the pyramid on the side that the bandstand is on?

and also since when did 1994 look so dated?! 😄 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

looks like the tree line that leads into the other stage area from the pyramid on the side that the bandstand is on?

and also since when did 1994 look so dated?! 😄 

Come on Grandad, it's time for your meds again 🧓

I also find it hard to admit that '94 was nearly 30 years ago.  The birth of my daughter prevented me going with mates who bunked in that year, but I got to go to phoenix as a compromise, being a few miles down the road and a month later.

4 hours ago, Spindles said:

I also find it hard to admit that '94 was nearly 30 years ago.  The birth of my daughter prevented me going with mates who bunked in that year, but I got to go to phoenix as a compromise, being a few miles down the road and a month later.

‘94 was 6 years ago and always will be.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:18 PM, Neil said:

my first, yeah. 😛 

Me too, (1986) as you know. Every one a winner.. in one way or another. Except maybe my second and third weren't the best.

Edited by Boris

On 4/16/2022 at 10:25 AM, HowdyBoss said:

I first went in 1990. Felt a connection like no other and have been to every one since. Last 17 years have been making the pilgrimage from Western Australia. I make it ~114 nights spent on the farm. Thanks to the recent resale that run will continue this year.
I guess that confers veteran status upon me, but as has been discussed there are many others who have been going longer. I would also agree that if you return once, you’re well on your way to veteran-hood.

You wouldn’t know it, but I’m a veteran round these parts too. I don’t post a lot, but a couple of my photos were quite popular a few years back. I do enjoy reading all of your musings however and feel like a silent member of a pretty cool club.

Back in 1999 I shared some of my photos with Neil and they ended up in an eFestivals gallery for a good while. That was the days of Julian Oolian and William of Walworth. Who remembers the forums back then?

William of Walworth has been working on the Greenfields Festival Information point for several years now.