Glastonbury Veteran

shuttlep

Glastonbury Veteran   

199 members have voted

1. 1. How many Glastonbury's do you have to go to before you become a Veteran?

• 10+

12 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Yep, those who have been every year since they were born are a special kind of veteran. 

I know quite a few 'kids' in that category, some in their mid 30s.

How do they keep getting so lucky with tickets is my question?!! 🍀

8 hours ago, am00 said:

I know a girl originally from Bristol, who's uncle is a trader and does one of the jerk chicken stalls.  On years that she hasnt been lucky enough to get a ticket, she goes with him and works a few shifts.  she's near 40 and been every year bar one since she was a wee one.  The dream, isnt it?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 7:30 PM, crazyfool1 said:

so this year will be 15 for me ... I look at some of the other posters on this Thread and dont consider myself one .... despite me saying over 8 would be a veteran ... pails into insignificance when the likes of glastoworker post 

On 4/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, clarkete said:

Very true, @glasto-worker is a colossus who dwarfs most of us, in terms of years, experience and recollections. 

You would not think so if you saw me now - I have the Flu {possible Covid}

The Big question that always gets me 

## last time asked Tuesday 20th of June 2017 in the ' Pre Operating Room ' at Royal free which was packed and someone asked me where I would be if I was not having a artery bypass operation ? and I said ' well actual I would be down at Glastonbury today' - Now there was 2 Doctors and 3 or 4 Nurses ## and None of them had ever been to Glastonbury but they all planned to attend sometime in the future ##

and then the Killer Question !!!! how many times had I been ? - would be dead easy with no gaps but impossible to calculate within a few seconds

I think I said 30 ' and I was out like a stone ' 

But I did get a message to that anaesthetics team Via my Consultant a day or two later as none of them was aware about 

https://www.festival-medical.org/

so you never know you may run into some nurses or Doctors at Glastonbury from the Royal free London { Hampstead }.

seeing how difficult it is to get tickets { I imagine as I have never bought a ticket since 1987 } I am amazed that some people who have not worked at the event can clock up so many events.

My last Drink I had in June 2017 {pub opposite the Hospital - Monday 19 June 2017 } - I had not a clue I would have the operation the very next day { it had been cancelled 3 or 4 times }

My friend Oli {from Iceland} flew in and came to visit so we went for a quick drink - Oli pushed me out on a wheelchair and we sat down on a bench - by the time he arrived at Glastonbury on the Crew Coach Tuesday I already had the Operation but ICU has a block on phones so I could not send a message to my Team that I had survived. { and they also did not have TV's in ICU so I missed the whole live Broadcast }

_BURST000_COV8ER.thumb.jpg.2fcc250f3e1330b18bac552a4a83362a.jpg_BURST000_COVER.thumb.jpg.3c40531c00ba49404de85e430f4b266a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

But I did get a message to that anaesthetics team Via my Consultant a day or two later as none of them was aware about 

https://www.festival-medical.org/

so you never know you may run into some nurses or Doctors at Glastonbury from the Royal free London { Hampstead }.

Look how even in the most serious of situations you were helping people who wanted to get to the festival and simultaneously the fest get vital staff. 

Bless you and hope you're still soldiering on OK 😊

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Look how even in the most serious of situations you were helping people who wanted to get to the festival and simultaneously the fest get vital staff. 

Bless you and hope you're still soldiering on OK 😊

they had been asking me how I was able to get Volunteer places but I could not remember the web address of Festival Medical Services { or the correct name } but lucky enough a friend dropped in to ICU so she could take my phone outside and reach my Efest account as I knew I had sent that link to someone via Private message.

I am sure its a bog standard question they ask ' just to distract the patient ' so you don't spot all the needles going in - I am glad my Consultant was able to track them down and pass on the message.

## if they had given me a bit more time I am sure I could have roped in some of the Surgery team as well ## 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:31 AM, moogster said:

I'm guessing being a Veteran could involve not having to THINK about planning. You just KNOW deep inside that if you want to see band A at Williams Green, have a bite at Goan Fish Curry then see band B at the park, grab a Cider Bus cocktail and see band C at John Peel, you just know you will be able to have a shower at 16.38 and grab your hoodie at the tent at 20:47. And if it rains then your shower will be at 17.23 and that the hoodie run will involve grabbing an extra bottle of something high ABV.

No no. Veterans don't plan.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, am00 said:

I’m one of these kid and, honestly, I’ve only actually got through for my own ticket twice I think. Every other year it’s someone else. I’ve got a pretty huge circle of friends who all go and try to get tickets, I’ve just been lucky that someone always gets through and I’m usually on their list.

Also the first ticket I ever had was when I was 18, before then I was always believed to be under 12 staff on the gates (I looked young but swear I didn’t look that young…)

On 4/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, am00 said:

I've been every year since 1992 and this often comes up when discussing the festival. The simple answer is - I'm not sure?

It's only been hard to get tickets from about 2010 onwards I would say, although the memory is hazy. Each year it's just somehow happened - often in the resale, often through someone else - although we're by no means a large group. 

I supposed I've just been lucky, apart from 2017 when I didn't get one at all in any of the sales, but managed to find a 'premium priced' ticket through a contact. That's the only time I've paid over face value though.

I guess those that go from a young age have a large festival crowd and people do say that's the key to tickets !! 

Ive been trying for tickets since 2014ish, my boyfriend got through in 2016 for me and a friend but he hadn't registered in time so not himself...this year I got through for himself (now husband) and myself and I'm so so excited. He said after seeing the impact it had on me he can't wait for his first year too !

8 minutes ago, am00 said:

I guess those that go from a young age have a large festival crowd and people do say that's the key to tickets !! 

Ive been trying for tickets since 2014ish, my boyfriend got through in 2016 for me and a friend but he hadn't registered in time so not himself...this year I got through for himself (now husband) and myself and I'm so so excited. He said after seeing the impact it had on me he can't wait for his first year too !

Many of those recent years I was in a duo, so it's not always large groups, as the non-efesters have been told that technique too by metro etc, so the advantage is less than it used to be. 

I wouldn't be going this year but for that resale group and the kindness of others 

16 minutes ago, am00 said:

I think posting quite a bit on forums helps too .., my glastonbury camping group is just 4 this time … 

I first went in 1990. Felt a connection like no other and have been to every one since. Last 17 years have been making the pilgrimage from Western Australia. I make it ~114 nights spent on the farm. Thanks to the recent resale that run will continue this year.
I guess that confers veteran status upon me, but as has been discussed there are many others who have been going longer. I would also agree that if you return once, you’re well on your way to veteran-hood.

You wouldn’t know it, but I’m a veteran round these parts too. I don’t post a lot, but a couple of my photos were quite popular a few years back. I do enjoy reading all of your musings however and feel like a silent member of a pretty cool club.

Back in 1999 I shared some of my photos with Neil and they ended up in an eFestivals gallery for a good while. That was the days of Julian Oolian and William of Walworth. Who remembers the forums back then?

• Upvote 2

I’ve been coming to Glastonbury for forty years (although I missed 84, 85 and 89) and I reckon to be just about a veteran as I got my bus pass two years ago. I’ve been to too many muddy ones, many pre super fence ones and I’ve worked for the Glade stage since 2000 so yes I am indeed a veteran.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:25 AM, HowdyBoss said:

I first went in 1990. Felt a connection like no other and have been to every one since. Last 17 years have been making the pilgrimage from Western Australia. I make it ~114 nights spent on the farm. Thanks to the recent resale that run will continue this year.
I guess that confers veteran status upon me, but as has been discussed there are many others who have been going longer. I would also agree that if you return once, you’re well on your way to veteran-hood.

You wouldn’t know it, but I’m a veteran round these parts too. I don’t post a lot, but a couple of my photos were quite popular a few years back. I do enjoy reading all of your musings however and feel like a silent member of a pretty cool club.

Back in 1999 I shared some of my photos with Neil and they ended up in an eFestivals gallery for a good while. That was the days of Julian Oolian and William of Walworth. Who remembers the forums back then?

17 years circumnavigating the globe is incredible and contributing pics to the old efests gallery is a cherry on top too.  You've got to take it steady or you might increase your posts per year to nearly two 😉 

2 hours ago, the beadle said:

I’ve been coming to Glastonbury for forty years (although I missed 84, 85 and 89) and I reckon to be just about a veteran as I got my bus pass two years ago. I’ve been to too many muddy ones, many pre super fence ones and I’ve worked for the Glade stage since 2000 so yes I am indeed a veteran.

I'm impressed that anyone could survive 22 years in the Glade, even just going there for one festival can feel pretty intense at times 👴

For anyone who considers themselves a veteran, this place I stumbled across has some intriguing old content...

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/flyers/glastonbury/index.html - "We got some of the earlier posters/advertisments when we went to interview Michael for a college project"

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/photographs_rave.html - "This section contains photographs of raves we went to, parties and other events involving myself and friends" - which includes Glastonbury 1992-2002

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/newspaper_clippings.html - "This is a collection of news paper articles collected from 1990 onwards, mostly dated around 1992" - also includes the newspaper from 94 when the pyramid burned down, some stuff about Johnny Cash etc.  Some of the clippings include some of the darker stuff which you used to hear rumours about on site but struggle to find out about before mobiles and t'internet - violent crime etc.

Edited by clarkete

37 minutes ago, clarkete said:

For anyone who considers themselves a veteran, this place I stumbled across has some intriguing old content...

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/flyers/glastonbury/index.html - "We got some of the earlier posters/advertisments when we went to interview Michael for a college project"

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/photographs_rave.html - "This section contains photographs of raves we went to, parties and other events involving myself and friends" - which includes Glastonbury 1992-2002

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/newspaper_clippings.html - "This is a collection of news paper articles collected from 1990 onwards, mostly dated around 1992" - also includes the newspaper from 94 when the pyramid burned down, some stuff about Johnny Cash etc.  Some of the clippings include some of the darker stuff which you used to hear rumours about on site but struggle to find out about before mobiles and t'internet - violent crime etc.

Just spent a very pleasant 30 minutes looking at these photos and reading the newspaper clippings.  Thanks for posting the links.  I was there in 94 and remember some of our group coming back to our camp saying that they'd seen / heard people shot!!!