Glastonbury Veteran

shuttlep

Glastonbury Veteran   

199 members have voted

1. 1. How many Glastonbury's do you have to go to before you become a Veteran?

• 10+

1 hour ago, incident said:

I reckon the criteria should be at least 10, including:
- at least one properly muddy year (only 2007 and 2016 count as that in the last 20 years)
- at least one pre-superfence year
- at least once working it

So I'll never qualify because I can't go back in time to before the fence went up.

What about 2005 if you camped in Pennards and had a river running through your tent x

1 hour ago, incident said:

I reckon the criteria should be at least 10, including:
- at least one properly muddy year (only 2007 and 2016 count as that in the last 20 years)
- at least one pre-superfence year
- at least once working it

So I'll never qualify because I can't go back in time to before the fence went up.

I agree with 1 and 3, but surely point two can’t be counted - as it means eventually there’ll be no one considered a veteran, despite them having done 20+ Glastonbury’s  

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I didn't go to 2011, but it seems the worst of the almost-mudbath years. Worse than 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2014, but not up there with 97,98,07 and 16.

05 is in a category all of its own.

2011 was sort of similar to 2016 in a way that the build up had a lot of bad weather so it didn't take long for it to churn once punters started arriving on the Wednesday....

21 minutes ago, mike46 said:

I agree with 1 and 3, but surely point two can’t be counted - as it means eventually there’ll be no one considered a veteran, despite them having done 20+ Glastonbury’s  

Possibly subject to change in the future - but at this point I think it should stand, as it's a distinct and different era of the festival.

I’d say it should include at least one Glastonbury before the super fence, having never experienced the ‘old’ festival with such a different character to now I don’t consider myself as a veteran. But, hey, I’ll take veteran status if it’s going….

Edited by Avalon_Fields

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I've worked 3 for Oxfam, and been to 21, all since '94. Don't feel like a veteran especially; just feel lucky to have gone all the times I have and seen so much develop and change.

my first was 04 and didn't make it back until 2010.  The amount of changes in that amount of time ... incredible.  I mean, there was no SE corner in 04.  I was gobsmacked 

Makes me glad the one year I worked was ‘16  because I don’t remember it being that muddy.

this year will be my 9th.. don’t feel close to being a veteran - A veteran needs plenty of stories from back in the day

15 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

my first was 04 and didn't make it back until 2010.  The amount of changes in that amount of time ... incredible.  I mean, there was no SE corner in 04.  I was gobsmacked 

There was Lost Vagueness. If I recall, there had been 'stuff going on up there' in that area since about '97...

• Upvote 1

This year will be my 17th. I’ve been absurdly lucky with the F5 gauntlet.

Getting through 2005 was hard going, but only for the Friday. The storm itself was nuts, the flooded tent was a right nuisance and we had a few early leavers, which I’ve never had before or since. But I’ve always felt like 2016 was the most challenging physically…the 8 hour car queue, the mud bath arrival and the sheer effort it took to get about all weekend when the mud was so sticky.

I’d say lasting out either of those years should earn you a badge of honour - even if it you’re not allowed to claim ‘veteran’ status.

Edited by dogeggs

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so this year will be 15 for me ... I look at some of the other posters on this Thread and dont consider myself one .... despite me saying over 8 would be a veteran ... pails into insignificance when the likes of glastoworker post 

Very true, @glasto-worker is a colossus who dwarfs most of us, in terms of years, experience and recollections.