Volunteering 2022

stuie

14 hours ago, Gxxx said:

Hiya! im just packing now - will there be places to charge your phone in the shelter volunteering area? or is a powerbank a must? thanks!

like everyone has said, there will be a few ext plug things at the canteen on the campsite, for charging here it will be busy at peak times,. bfast and dinner etc. at the bars you work at, you wont have an issue. will be able to make sure all charged up including your power bar for back at the campsite . 

• Thanks 1

Hi all. This year I'm with Oxfam. I willl be a Team Leader at Gully's Gate in the South West corner behind Cineramageddon. Keep an eye out and if you see me and don't scream something like "I'm a f****** Swiftie!" at the top of your lungs I will be offended. I won't know my actual shifts until I get to site on Tuesday so, potentially, I might be on duty during the Efestival Meet. This would be DIFFICULT as you can imagine. Basically, if I'm not there assume I am indeed working at Gully's Gate.

4 hours ago, Martin Ashford said:

Hi all. This year I'm with Oxfam. I willl be a Team Leader at Gully's Gate in the South West corner behind Cineramageddon. Keep an eye out and if you see me and don't scream something like "I'm a f****** Swiftie!" at the top of your lungs I will be offended. I won't know my actual shifts until I get to site on Tuesday so, potentially, I might be on duty during the Efestival Meet. This would be DIFFICULT as you can imagine. Basically, if I'm not there assume I am indeed working at Gully's Gate.

Gully Gate... Isn't that Sticklinch Gate? 

I'm in Sticklinch, if I knew who you were I'd happily shout at you. 🙂 

That was amazing, Oxfield was great, got great shifts but lost Saturday late evening onwards as I had to be up at 04:00 the next day. Monday and Tuesday on site were brilliant as always. Tuesday was noticeably busier than 2019.  I’ll be back with Oxfam next year.

*one negative - how could there be no loo roll in the Oxfield for the whole week?!

Thanks for organising the workers meet @dondo, sorry I was 3 hours late

Edited by March Hare
  • Thanks 1

I did the early shifts with oxfam, so was on-site from sat 18th onwards; camping for that long is absolutely knackering. I had three 6am starts on sun, mon, tues and it was hot and sunny each day - the work was fine, and I was then off for the whole festival which was a right result, but each night of camping takes about 10% off my ability to be up and at em, and by the Sat of the festival I had the slowest of slow mornings and didn’t get into the festival site til 2pm. I had a decent bed set-up, and don’t really drink to excess (3 or 4 beers a day, no more than that) so it’s just the cumulative effects of camping for nine nights. 

I actually feel pretty damn good now I’m home, I think stopping getting shitfaced drunk is definitely the way forward! All in all the oxfam experience was excellent, but I’d think on about signing up for earlies again - the normal shift pattern during the fest is absolutely fine (for me, who isn’t too fussed about the lineup) 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I did the early shifts with oxfam, so was on-site from sat 18th onwards; camping for that long is absolutely knackering. I had three 6am starts on sun, mon, tues and it was hot and sunny each day - the work was fine, and I was then off for the whole festival which was a right result, but each night of camping takes about 10% off my ability to be up and at em, and by the Sat of the festival I had the slowest of slow mornings and didn’t get into the festival site til 2pm. I had a decent bed set-up, and don’t really drink to excess (3 or 4 beers a day, no more than that) so it’s just the cumulative effects of camping for nine nights. 

I actually feel pretty damn good now I’m home, I think stopping getting shitfaced drunk is definitely the way forward! All in all the oxfam experience was excellent, but I’d think on about signing up for earlies again - the normal shift pattern during the fest is absolutely fine (for me, who isn’t too fussed about the lineup) 

Glad you enjoyed it! Overall, Oxfam is a good way of festivalling.

Last time we got earlies but had the 2-10 shift pattern which was fine. Our friends got earlies with the 6-2 pattern this time and it was a whole different kettle of fish. They were already quite broken at the start of the festival, & I’d imagine getting 3 nights is even harder.

Having not got earlies this time we did console ourselves with it not being as long on site. It is a long time to be there!

However, the shifts we got this time did make us think twice about whether we would do Glastonbury with Oxfam again. At other festivals, you can easily see a fair few bands and rest up between shifts, but at Glastonbury, the distance between stages is so huge, and once you’ve been on your feet for 8 hours a couple of times, your ability to ‘bimble’ in true Glastonbury style is significantly reduced!

We were at Stickleball gate, so far out it’s not on the map. We joked that it might not even be in Somerset! For our 5.45 am start we had to be up at 4.15 (& that was without a wash!). Nothing happened there! Ever! The overnight on Saturday/Sunday was excruciating. 

When we woke on Sunday, we felt like we’d spent the whole festival wishing it away because we knew that overnighter was coming, & now it was pretty much over; and we hurt so much we didn’t think we had anything left for the first day that was really ours. Nonetheless, we started slowly, gradually built to a great night, and ended up still out in a crew bar at 2am.

For the first time in about 5 years we will be trying for tickets next time, but in the end, after all our reservations in the exhaustion of early Sunday  afternoon, Oxfam does remain a good option as back up! (& a great option for any other festival!)

• Upvote 2

First time with Oxfam and really enjoyed the experience, shifts worked out well for me with location and seeing the the bands I really wanted to see( missed Phoebe Bridgers unfortunately)

would still try for general sale as a first option in the future as I’m really feeling it after 7 days on site!

big thanks to @dondofor arranging the Monday meet at the tow and hitch, really great to meet up with you all! On the whole a really great experience 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

🤣 being on a gate where nothing happens is both a blessing and a curse - it’s nice to relax and chill, but it also crawls by and you end up clock watching all the time - having stuff to do definitely quickens up the pace. I was on a vehicle gate that was shut, so the majority of my time was spent telling people to go to another gate. Pointless, in the grand scheme of things, I could have been a cone with a sign and done just as good a job 😂 but it’s easy to forget it’s for charity, and we have both raised a good £300-odd for oxfam, and that’s a very good thing 👍

it’s just so hard on the feet. Walking to get to your shifts, being on your feet for eight hours, and then finishing and wanting to get amongst it without at least a good half hour of sitting down, Is physically taxing. I hike and walk long distance paths and half of me doing that is to train for the physical demands of Glastonbury! 

edit; hey blue6field, nice to have a pint with you mate 🤝

Edited by balti-pie
  • Upvote 1

Our first shift was the road right outside Oxfield on Wednesday afternoon. The heat, dust and fumes had us all on the verge of collapse by mid afternoon.....but I loved that shift, I felt genuinely useful & it absolutely flew! 

Overall I had a great time.

Worked all day on the Wednesday covering area from stone circle to Gate D.  Not loads of litter as people just arrived. But a lot of walking especially as Tom's Field was pretty much at the opposite corner from where we were picking. It was bloody hot though but had a great team leader who ensured we had plenty of water breaks.

Thursday was cooler but loads more litter.  Did stone circle above the tipi field and the top of the Park.  Lots of up and down hills so my calf and thigh muscles knew about it.

Friday evening was up in the Park again which was good as managed to hear St Etienne whilst working.

Then had the rest of weekend off which was good as managed to stay up a bit later on the Friday and Saturday night.

Great to meet you that were there at Tow and Hitch (sorry didn't chat to you all and for probably being a bit drunk towards the end) and at other times.

Will no doubt do it again next year and whilst pre festival shifts will always be my 1st choice the ones I had were pretty darn good

• Upvote 1

My mate volunteered one year and because he can drive lorries his shifts were really easy.

Just driving round the festival site doing jobs for them mainly in the quiet early mornings.

So anyone with a driving licence it is worth pointing that out possibly.

Have worked for Oxfam on and off for 15 years at various festivals and can concur that imho many shift positions, especially at much larger festivals, exist to satisfy the licensing, H&S requirements etc. for the festival organiser. Oxfam will tend place anyone on any position they can regardless of whether its boring or even of much value cos at the end of the day they want the money for covering that position.

With Shelter after previously volunteering with Oxfam.  Have to say that the Shelter offering is infinitely better (only in my opinion of course!) for the following reasons:

1. Campsite is closer - no long trudge up Muddy lane last thing at night.
  2. Food - more vouchers and better maintained tea/coffee
  3. Showers - no limits to the number unlike Oxfam and 10 minute queues max.
  4. Shift patterns - no overnighter or early starts.  Always finished by 3am and never started before 11am so didn't have to really rain in the night beforehand.
  5. Always busy - those long 8hours on a random road crossing with Oxfam compared to ours shifts which flew by.
  6. Better fun - we were on Stonebridge which was a massive party - crew bar dancing along with the punters, etc and Fat Boy Slim and Roger Sanchez playing in your tent - what could be better than being in the middle of a party!    

Disadvantages vrs Oxfam?   Struggling really.  You can drive onto site with Oxfam rather than have to catch the bus.  This way you can take more stuff and leave when you want I suppose.    Aside from that ....we'll be back with Shelter next year!

• Upvote 1

Overall had a great time!

Was hard to find a balance with the shifts and sleep but I would definitely do it again if I had no other route.

We were on Gate B for all shifts so feel for the people up in places like sticklinch. 

Edited by joeltg