Volunteering 2022

stuie

9 minutes ago, March Hare said:

It could be, I’ve chosen to avoid social contact this week for fear of catching it

I did consider this but we had standing tickets for Queen at the o2 last night... whatever will be will be.  Can't be assed living in fear any more! 

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

I did consider this but we had standing tickets for Queen at the o2 last night... whatever will be will be.  Can't be assed living in fear any more! 

Don’t blame you, decent gig?

Also, imagine being that person who just bagged a place. What a buzz!

Didn't get an email about it until I reached out to them myself, so just in case anyone is in the same boat, Oxfam have confirmed extra buses to site on Monday! If you were considering changing your travel plans to avoid the strikes, it may be worth checking if there's any spaces left.

9 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Don’t blame you, decent gig?

Also, imagine being that person who just bagged a place. What a buzz!

Brilliant!  Adam Lambert is actually amazing, doesn't try to be Freddie and it's all very respoectful and emotional.  Guitar solo's with Freddie on the screen and stuff like that.  One of the biggest singalongs I've had the pleasure of.  *****

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

Brilliant!  Adam Lambert is actually amazing, doesn't try to be Freddie and it's all very respoectful and emotional.  Guitar solo's with Freddie on the screen and stuff like that.  One of the biggest singalongs I've had the pleasure of.  *****

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that how it was played but makes sense

Anyone know how strict the Avalon coaches are for Shelter volunteers in terms of luggage? Guide says 2 pieces of luggage. Not planning to take masses but it adds up to more. I could strap various items together but also have a fold up trolley. 

Edited by 4519dennis

19 hours ago, acidhoose said:

Does anyone know if there is a bus from Glastonbury town centre to the festival/bath and west on Monday 20th?

I don't think so mate. I usually end up getting a taxi. The bus service from Glastonbury to Pilton is bobbin's pretty much all the time and during the festival is probably worse.  I have used it. I think it is ran by Frome coaches / buses and drops outside the Crown in Pilton.

Can see me getting a taxi again despite the festival surcharge. 

Im pretty sure they don't put on any kind of staff buses on that route as usual default is Temple Meads and Castle Cary

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 4519dennis said:

Anyone know how strict the Avalon coaches are for Shelter volunteers in terms of luggage? Guide says 2 pieces of luggage. Not planning to take masses but it adds up to more. I could strap various items together but also have a fold up trolley. 

We got told on our training session when we queried this that its 2 pieces of luggage and your tent.  I'm therefore taking a  backpack onto the coach with me, and throwing a rucksack and tent into the coaches hold.  Stuffing my wellies into the tent bag.

1 minute ago, 4519dennis said:

Yes I heard that on training and it’s in the guide but are they going to refuse to take anything more even if it’s a fold up small trolley to help at the other end.

Who knows - this is my first time with Shelter.    Wouldn't think you'd need a trolley though at the other end as the bus drops virtually outside the campsite.

9 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Who knows - this is my first time with Shelter.    Wouldn't think you'd need a trolley though at the other end as the bus drops virtually outside the campsite.

It didn’t when I went, but tbh I went with serious planning in order to get everything in my rucksack & tent bag. My rucksack actually split and I had to hold it together with gaffa tape on the way home!

2 minutes ago, amfy said:

It didn’t when I went, but tbh I went with serious planning in order to get everything in my rucksack & tent bag. My rucksack actually split and I had to hold it together with gaffa tape on the way home!

mental note - add gaffa tape to packing list.....

• Upvote 1

Hi team 

Random question time - does anyone know the nearest place to the Oxfam campsite you could get a taxi from?  Also, what are the roads called around that area? Is it Pylle Road that you cross to get to the Oxfam field?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Hi team 

Random question time - does anyone know the nearest place to the Oxfam campsite you could get a taxi from?  Also, what are the roads called around that area? Is it Pylle Road that you cross to get to the Oxfam field?

Thanks 

Winding Lake Farm is about 5 mins from the Oxfam camp if memory serves.   You pretty much want to get as close to PGB as you can.  

8 minutes ago, Gxxx said:

Hiya! im just packing now - will there be places to charge your phone in the shelter volunteering area? or is a powerbank a must? thanks!

Yes in the Oxfam marquee tent buts its like spaghetti junction 🤣

1 hour ago, Gxxx said:

Hiya! im just packing now - will there be places to charge your phone in the shelter volunteering area? or is a powerbank a must? thanks!

Sorry I thought I read Oxfam...🤦‍♂️

On 6/16/2022 at 8:10 AM, Jay Pee said:

I don't think so mate. I usually end up getting a taxi. The bus service from Glastonbury to Pilton is bobbin's pretty much all the time and during the festival is probably worse.  I have used it. I think it is ran by Frome coaches / buses and drops outside the Crown in Pilton.

Can see me getting a taxi again despite the festival surcharge. 

Im pretty sure they don't put on any kind of staff buses on that route as usual default is Temple Meads and Castle Cary

Thanks mate.

I didn’t think there was just couldn’t find any info anywhere. Taxi it is.