Volunteering 2022

stuie

7 hours ago, dondo said:

That's what I thought. I believe with other organisations they do take some kind of admin fee (Festaff springs to mind) so it maybe that?

Yeah - but they give them it ALL back surely! and its not over £300! Doesn't seem very, ethical? 

Edited by irnkrtn

43 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

Yeah - but they give them it ALL back surely! and its not over £300! Doesn't seem very, ethical? 

Good organisations give back all of the deposit.

Some (Festaff, this one) keep a chunk and pretend that it's an Admin fee.

Personally that'd be a deal breaker, as I'm not prepared to pay to work, but enough people don't seem to mind that they can get away with it.

22 hours ago, MrZigster said:

On the Monday? When do the gates open? I'd be aiming for that. It's An Extra Day! I mean it's already a bonus to volunteering getting there on the Tuesday. But an extra extra day...

No brainer personally but I'll bet that some people will have arranged their work life etc on it being the Tuesday thing.

10am I think? Its usually 10am til midnight. I'll double check on our paperwork for you tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

Oxfam places were available again. Just missed the first lot about 30 minutes ago as bank declined payment. Thought all was lost but about 10 minutes ago they were back up again. Managed to bag a place for my daughter as I was already sorted.She’s  gonna be one happy bunny when she gets home from work as she doesn’t know she’s  going yet.

Edited by Field of Avalon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Field of Avalon said:

Oxfam places were available again. Just missed the first lot about 30 minutes ago as bank declined payment. Thought all was lost but about 10 minutes ago they were back up again. Managed to bag a place for my daughter as I was already sorted.She gonna be one happy bunny when she gets home from work as she doesn’t know she going yet.

That’s amazing, she’s going to be so happy!

• Like 1

Just now, amazingfly said:

What kinds of shift times / patterns have people done in the past at Glastonbury with Oxfam? And what / where were you positioned doing? - just wondering what might be in store for myself! 

Someone will be along with the ABCDE pattern thingo soon, or go back a couple of pages - last time I got pattern c, which involved a night shift on weds night, a late shift on Friday, and an early on Sunday - it all worked out quite brilliantly, cos the late ended just about half an hour before Gojira played the Truth stage so I had time for a wee, a can of imperial stout or two, and a dive to the front of the stage . . . 
I was on a vehicle gate in the SE corner, which had a workers gate next to it - basically eight hours of zapping peoples wrists as they came in and out. Fairly dull, but quite easy, and I should think a decent representation of work duties. A bit hard on the feet, being stood for that long, but it made a post-shift sit down with a pint an absolute delight 👍

5 minutes ago, amazingfly said:

What kinds of shift times / patterns have people done in the past at Glastonbury with Oxfam? And what / where were you positioned doing? - just wondering what might be in store for myself! 

Try page one of the thread. The ABCDE thingi is posted there 

4 minutes ago, amazingfly said:

Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun
6am - 2pm   A    D    B    E    C
2pm - 10pm  B    E    C    A    D
10pm - 6am  C    A    D    B    E

I’ve had shift pattern D so early Thur, Friday night shift, Sunday day - it’s a bad pattern IMO

Anybody have this issue. My daughter managed to get an Oxfam place on Monday. On her account part that she has to fill in there’s a section about training. She has to select a date to do online training. Only problem is all the dates available after the festival finishes. In that case would she still have to do the training as would seem pretty pointless.

Just now, Field of Avalon said:

Anybody have this issue. My daughter managed to get an Oxfam place on Monday. On her account part that she has to fill in there’s a section about training. She has to select a date to do online training. Only problem is all the dates available after the festival finishes. In that case would she still have to do the training as would seem pretty pointless.

Email them.

Just now, Field of Avalon said:

If she contacts the office they will arrange online training for her.  They will probably contact her to be honest!  In the old days before online training, you'd have to do it when you arrived at the festival but I don't think that's the case any more. 

24 minutes ago, stuie said:

If she contacts the office they will arrange online training for her.  They will probably contact her to be honest!  In the old days before online training, you'd have to do it when you arrived at the festival but I don't think that's the case any more. 

Yeah just phoned them. Last online training for Glastonbury finished on Tuesday. There gonna sort something out for her.

5 minutes ago, Field of Avalon said:

Yeah just phoned them. Last online training for Glastonbury finished on Tuesday. There gonna sort something out for her.

theyll email you a link to watch a pre recorded training video and then you just confirm to them that youve watched it all

• Like 1

I’ve applied for a ‘real world’ job which is absolutely made for me, and I am pretty sure I will be shortlisted, but interviews are set for 24th June.

I am really hoping they can be flexible and interview me after I get back! I could try a video interview but I won’t know if I’m working on any of Friday until I arrive next week! I’ll also have to contend with a dodgy signal, looking like a tramp, & probably being hungover!

If I had a ticket I could work around the interview, much as it would grieve me to come away from the festival, but with Oxfam it’s all or nothing.

7 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Oxfam places have come up again, move quick if you need

I wonder why people are pulling out at this late stage.  Could it be due to dear old Rona?