Volunteering 2022

stuie

working with shelter this year. First time volunteering am excited to do the festival in a different way. Anyway got a question, how strict are they in crew camping about the size of your tent?  Lots of comments in the online training and also in the newsletter about not bringing a 6 man tent for two people. Spending 6 nights in a tent I don’t want to be squeezed in a small tent or willing to go and buy another tent to make this work.  Would a 3/4 man tent for one be acceptable?  Where do they draw the line or do they even check?

Also does crew camping get very crowded too due to limited space?

Thanks

18 hours ago, Maurice Mecca said:

working with shelter this year. First time volunteering am excited to do the festival in a different way. Anyway got a question, how strict are they in crew camping about the size of your tent?  Lots of comments in the online training and also in the newsletter about not bringing a 6 man tent for two people. Spending 6 nights in a tent I don’t want to be squeezed in a small tent or willing to go and buy another tent to make this work.  Would a 3/4 man tent for one be acceptable?  Where do they draw the line or do they even check?

Also does crew camping get very crowded too due to limited space?

Thanks

I think you should be fine, last time had a decent size 3-man (with a fair porch) just for me because that's all I have and it was fine. I think they're more focussed on discouraging those really big palatial structures

• Upvote 1

There are still jobs going with DC Services doing the stewarding in the campervan fields. It's good work but it is 12 hour shifts all festival. You will have to be on-site Monday evening/ early Tuesday. You don't get your wristband until Thursday evening though.

I cancelled my job as I could not see how I would find the time to party as I need a full night's sleep.

10 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

There are still jobs going with DC Services doing the stewarding in the campervan fields. It's good work but it is 12 hour shifts all festival. You will have to be on-site Monday evening/ early Tuesday. You don't get your wristband until Thursday evening though.

I cancelled my job as I could not see how I would find the time to party as I need a full night's sleep.

Yeah I wouldn't do well with that sort of role - I want to be able to party too!

22 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Avalon sent out texts today now offering car parking from Monday rather than mandating bus travel into site on the Tuesday.   Their and a Glastonbury's response to the threatened train strike. 

Oh that really is good of them. I'd jump on that. Especially with the new Bristol only thing this year. Plus it's an extra day on site isn't it? Gonna be a pain on their end re ticket and wristband distribution I'd imagine.

Is that for all of their volunteers? (i.e. I volunteered with Shelter, but they were under Avalon. So does this include them and their ilk or is it just for directly employed by Avalon people?). That means hundreds of extra cars on site doesn't it?

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Oh that really is good of them. I'd jump on that. Especially with the new Bristol only thing this year. Plus it's an extra day on site isn't it? Gonna be a pain on their end re ticket and wristband distribution I'd imagine.

Is that for all of their volunteers? (i.e. I volunteered with Shelter, but they were under Avalon. So does this include them and their ilk or is it just for directly employed by Avalon people?). That means hundreds of extra cars on site doesn't it?

Text sent to Shelter volunteers so everybody but I think places are limited.  Have to be there by 10pm or the gates close! Bit game of thrones isn't it...

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Text sent to Shelter volunteers so everybody but I think places are limited.  Have to be there by 10pm or the gates close! Bit game of thrones isn't it...

And Mad Max and Escape from New York.

And other 80s cult apocolyptic joy

2 hours ago, Flysheet said:

We’re on site Monday lunch with Festaff, what’s the crack with food stalls etc? Plenty open?

Not a huge amount open from my recollection. I would imagine that there should be catering in the Festaff field?

A few places are open on the Tuesday 

Edited by dondo

2 hours ago, Flysheet said:

We’re on site Monday lunch with Festaff, what’s the crack with food stalls etc? Plenty open?

There will be some open, there's already thousands of people there by Monday and they need feeding! 

20 minutes ago, stuie said:

There will be some open, there's already thousands of people there by Monday and they need feeding! 

That’s what I thought. We can always pile back out to the pub 😂

2 hours ago, ohmygod said:

On the Monday? When do the gates open? I'd be aiming for that. It's An Extra Day! I mean it's already a bonus to volunteering getting there on the Tuesday. But an extra extra day...

No brainer personally but I'll bet that some people will have arranged their work life etc on it being the Tuesday thing.

8 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

People are paying them to work for them? 

That's what I thought. I believe with other organisations they do take some kind of admin fee (Festaff springs to mind) so it maybe that?