Volunteering 2022

stuie

27 minutes ago, ThatCubT said:

Oxfam have spaces that they have just released! Managed to grab one!

congrats! excellent work! 

its worth remembering for future readers of this thread (hello future people, im in late may 2022) that places do become available well after they've 'sold out' so checking the site regularly and incessantly will tend to see reward for those people willing and able to put in a bit of effort!

that scrum in feb to grab the new spots doesnt have to be quite so be-all-and-end-all . . . 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

My first time volunteering, so a question.... part of what I really enjoy in the build up is following the line up on here, working out who I’ll see when, updating the clash finder.... everything this year has to be read with the caveat in the back of my mind that an act or acts may also clash with my shifts! Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked to be going, and it’s a nice problem to have, but I’d prefer if I knew my shifts well in advance in order to temper my expectations! How do you all cope?!

The first time I volunteered (with Shelter - I’m now Oxfam), I found that so didn’t only have to adjust my expectations due to my times on shift, but it can have quite a big impact on your downtime too!

I found myself opting for things that were nearer than what I’d planned, or things that would allow me to sit down for a bit! 

Also - if you have an early shift it can be a killer if you’ve been out late, & an overnight we can be a killer if you’ve been out all day!

That said, I have ended up having Glastonbury’s much more akin to my early ones - wheee I go where the day takes me rather than having so much of a schedule. I’ve seen some great stuff I wouldn’t have seen if I’d been able to stick to a planner - whilst the stuff you put on a planner will pretty much always appear somewhere again. x

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 8:06 PM, philipsteak said:

I got offered earlies quite late on for Latitude last year so was still holding out for Bearded but that ship has very much sailed now.

Bearded is quite a small crew I think for Oxfam, so apart from logistics, they probably only need a couple of people to do registration and parking camper vans on the early shift

On 5/23/2022 at 9:09 AM, Tranquility of Solitude said:

My first time volunteering, so a question.... part of what I really enjoy in the build up is following the line up on here, working out who I’ll see when, updating the clash finder.... everything this year has to be read with the caveat in the back of my mind that an act or acts may also clash with my shifts! Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked to be going, and it’s a nice problem to have, but I’d prefer if I knew my shifts well in advance in order to temper my expectations! How do you all cope?!

My approach has always been to pick one headliner that's a must-see and swap my shifts on-site to accommodate if needed - not a guarantee obviously, but it's worked out so far! Beyond that I just mark things I'd quite like to catch on the clashfinder so that when I'm off I've got an idea of what's happening, although more often than not plans go out the window based on tiredness/proximity to position etc. It's an interesting way to experience the fest! I find it quite fun to be honest. 

Not sure what I'd do with the freedom to do whatever I wanted from Wednesday to Sunday... Drink far too much and sleep through a lot of it probably. 

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

Bearded is quite a small crew I think for Oxfam, so apart from logistics, they probably only need a couple of people to do registration and parking camper vans on the early shift

About 170 they said during briefing. Think it was around 100 last time I did it 5 years ago

1 hour ago, SGS said:

Just saw this on a closed fb site I am a member of - don’t pm me as it is not my job to give - just saying there are jobs out there

Production runner needed for Glastonbury, Tuesday 21st to Sunday 26th. Someone who knows the site and won't get obliterated. The wage isn't huge so we won't expect full days all week, and you can book time off for specific things you want to see. 

How do you expect people to find out more about this opportunity without DMing you?

You shouldn't just tease positions out there if you aren't willing to give information.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:39 PM, SGS said:

Just saw this on a closed fb site I am a member of - don’t pm me as it is not my job to give - just saying there are jobs out there

Production runner needed for Glastonbury, Tuesday 21st to Sunday 26th. Someone who knows the site and won't get obliterated. The wage isn't huge so we won't expect full days all week, and you can book time off for specific things you want to see. 

I'm struggling to find volunteering jobs... let alone paid ones! 

26 minutes ago, abiwish said:

If anyone is still looking for a role, CTM posted an hour ago to say they have some spots!

Thanks @abiwish  Is this the one asking for 6 x 13 hr paid shifts and one day off during the festival?

I'm still desperately looking for tickets, but CTM seemed less of an opportunity to experience the festival and more of a 'proper job'.

11 minutes ago, prestonmanc said:

Thanks @abiwish  Is this the one asking for 6 x 13 hr paid shifts and one day off during the festival?

I'm still desperately looking for tickets, but CTM seemed less of an opportunity to experience the festival and more of a 'proper job'.

ah yes I thought it was less than that but seems you're right. Pays decently so still an option for those not in full-time work but probably not a good option if you'd have to take time off work to do it.

I’ve gone and got the much-heralded early shifts! Woop! I’ll be there from Saturday 18th now, which is great, but also means it’s a really long stretch meaning extra clothes, money, food to bring, etc etc . . . I’d really best start sorting out a bed too, seeing as I’ll be sleeping in it for a week . . . 

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’ve gone and got the much-heralded early shifts! Woop! I’ll be there from Saturday 18th now, which is great, but also means it’s a really long stretch meaning extra clothes, money, food to bring, etc etc . . . I’d really best start sorting out a bed too, seeing as I’ll be sleeping in it for a week . . . 

That's amazing. Rare as rocking horse 

I wonder what your shifts will entail. Anyone on the forum got previous experience?

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Well that confirms we haven't got them.

Congrats

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rockandnoll said:

That's amazing. Rare as rocking horse 

I wonder what your shifts will entail. Anyone on the forum got previous experience?

Not personally, but friends have had them.

Mostly vehicle gates and the same shift all 3 days. Sucks if you get nights

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Well done! That’s amazing - it’s the dream!

See you on arrival then!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Same here with the early shifts! Buzzing for it but yeah extra planning needed now for food especially 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, JayBalls said:

Same here with the early shifts! Buzzing for it but yeah extra planning needed now for food especially 

Nice problem to have though, I’ll not moan about it! Food vans etc on the main site don’t really rock up and start operating til Monday at the earliest, so we’ll be at the behest of oxfam catering and what we bring ourselves - and id imagine we might get an extra couple of shower tokens for the extra duration of time we’re there - but I’m set on completing that last shift and strolling back to the oxfield with it all in front of us, marvellous scenes! 

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Not personally, but friends have had them.

Mostly vehicle gates and the same shift all 3 days. Sucks if you get nights

Yeah nights would be a bit harsh, but if it’s them then so be it - the benefits of a fresh n black tent will be a fair bit more obvious with trying to sleep during the day. Id say it’d be pretty slow and boring overnight shifts but I can live with that

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

Nice problem to have though, I’ll not moan about it! Food vans etc on the main site don’t really rock up and start operating til Monday at the earliest, so we’ll be at the behest of oxfam catering and what we bring ourselves - and id imagine we might get an extra couple of shower tokens for the extra duration of time we’re there - but I’m set on completing that last shift and strolling back to the oxfield with it all in front of us, marvellous scenes! 

Absolutely brilliant problem to have, I remember talking to a fellow steward when I'd just got there in 2017 and he told me he'd already done all his shifts and the festival was now his oyster, I remember how jealous I was but now that's meeeee 😎