Volunteering 2022

stuie

56 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I’m driving, from Scotland, leaving on the Monday, and staying overnight just off the M5 near Birmingham. I’ve booked a car park spot near where the bus leaves Bristol. I also plan to stop over Monday night on the way back at the same location. No way could I safely do that drive in one go after 6 nights at the festival.

My bus time is 10am on the Tuesday. I’m travelling solo, so have plenty room in my car. If the timings fit in with you, happy to give you and your gear a lift from the train station to nearer the bus departure point, DM me if that’s something you would like to arrange. That goes for any other Shelter volunteers on here struggling to work out how to get to the bus.

Thanks for that. Much appreciate the offer. I have a ticket for this year but Shelter have always been my lifeline in the ticketless years.

You are making it sound doable. How close is the parking spot to the pick up point and how much is the parking if you don't mind me asking?

3 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Thanks for that. Much appreciate the offer. I have a ticket for this year but Shelter have always been my lifeline in the ticketless years.

You are making it sound doable. How close is the parking spot to the pick up point and how much is the parking if you don't mind me asking?

It’s about a 10 minute walk, and £53 for 6 days. I looked into several alternatives, especially given the price of fuel, and how tiring the drive would be. They were all ridiculously pricey, and/or logistically really troublesome with the amount of stuff. 

12 minutes ago, ThatCubT said:

Ooh, do these come up often?

Missed out, but desperately want to be in this year!

Well you're certainly leaving it until the pips squeek. You can see things are coming up regularly, maybe you check this topic regularly or hit the button at the bottom to follow the topic and it can notify you when someone posts again? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Well you're certainly leaving it until the pips squeek. You can see things are coming up regularly, maybe you check this topic regularly or hit the button at the bottom to follow the topic and it can notify you when someone posts again? 

Sadly, I was unable to grab the Oxfam spots when they came up, phone was having none of it. Have followed this topic now (did not know that was a thing ,thank you) and will have my fingers crossed I am lucky in grabbing one if it comes up again!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, ThatCubT said:

Sadly, I was unable to grab the Oxfam spots when they came up, phone was having none of it. Have followed this topic now (did not know that was a thing ,thank you) and will have my fingers crossed I am lucky in grabbing one if it comes up again!

Randomly check Oxfam through out the day, and what ever your doing also keep refreshing the Oxfam page apart from when your driving 🤣 There's still time to get a place, a few of us in 2019 got our places a week before 🤞

Edited by gazzared
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 11:50 PM, acidhoose said:

Hi.

I just got my email too. I’m new to the recycling team this will be my first year as a volunteer, I’m on the co op team and was wondering if I should bring a Litter picker and hoop? 
thanks

I really wouldn't. Litter pickers make you slower and the hoops are far too fiddly. You can easily hold 2 of the bags in one hand, sometimes three if you get the technique right.

1 hour ago, LeeHC said:

I really wouldn't. Litter pickers make you slower and the hoops are far too fiddly. You can easily hold 2 of the bags in one hand, sometimes three if you get the technique right.

That’s 2 definite no‘s to hoops and a picker so I’ll listen to the pros😁

• Like 1

Anyone on here managed to secure a volunteering spot with Greenpeace? I have been a volunteer with the for 4 years and this year i'm on the waitlist. I was counting on being there with GP. 

I feel like it might not happen this year... And this is my last year in the UK, as I am returning to Australia at the end of the year 

1 hour ago, highnrg123 said:

Anyone on here managed to secure a volunteering spot with Greenpeace? I have been a volunteer with the for 4 years and this year i'm on the waitlist. I was counting on being there with GP. 

I feel like it might not happen this year... And this is my last year in the UK, as I am returning to Australia at the end of the year 

This close l’d start trying for Oxfam, I think you can cancel the place within 7 days without a penalty. So if GP come through for you soon after, you won’t have lost anything.

I think someone also mentioned that Wateraid have opened up again for volunteering 

9 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I’m driving, from Scotland, leaving on the Monday, and staying overnight just off the M5 near Birmingham. I’ve booked a car park spot near where the bus leaves Bristol. I also plan to stop over Monday night on the way back at the same location. No way could I safely do that drive in one go after 6 nights at the festival.

My bus time is 10am on the Tuesday. I’m travelling solo, so have plenty room in my car. If the timings fit in with you, happy to give you and your gear a lift from the train station to nearer the bus departure point, DM me if that’s something you would like to arrange. That goes for any other Shelter volunteers on here struggling to work out how to get to the bus.

Can I ask where you booked parking space as I need to do the same

On 5/21/2022 at 9:15 PM, MrZigster said:

So 40 minutes with a rucksack and an unfit body probably then? Are you driving to Bristol or getting a bus or train?

Have they moved the campsite then? If not I'd hardly call it central. Outside the fence at the extreme East I'd call it. A fair plod from Ped Gate C. And right next door to THE NOISY CORNER.  Rest is good though (not that you'll likely get much rest).

So glad too hear that but not optimistic. Once a cost has been cut they tend to stay cut in my experience.

I think the train and then overnighting on the Monday would be the only way for me to do it if the Bristol thing remains. Unless anyone knows where I could park in Bristol for a week nearish the pick up point. Did you have much problem booking accommodation? Is it close to the pick up point?

I stayed in the Ibis on Millennium Square in Bristol right next to the pick up point ahead of me volunteering with Shelter in 2019, cost me £80 but I preferred that to paying for an on-peak rail fare to Bristol that morning, then having to lug all my stuff to the pick up point at rush hour.

There were two or three other Shelter volunteers who did the same as me and I struck up conversation with one of them in the bar the night before and we wound up spending a fair bit of the festival together. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

My first time volunteering, so a question.... part of what I really enjoy in the build up is following the line up on here, working out who I’ll see when, updating the clash finder.... everything this year has to be read with the caveat in the back of my mind that an act or acts may also clash with my shifts! Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked to be going, and it’s a nice problem to have, but I’d prefer if I knew my shifts well in advance in order to temper my expectations! How do you all cope?!

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I stayed in the Ibis on Millennium Square in Bristol right next to the pick up point ahead of me volunteering with Shelter in 2019, cost me £80 but I preferred that to paying for an on-peak rail fare to Bristol that morning, then having to lug all my stuff to the pick up point at rush hour.

There were two or three other Shelter volunteers who did the same as me and I struck up conversation with one of them in the bar the night before and we wound up spending a fair bit of the festival together. 🙂 

I looked into that, but didn’t fancy the drive in one go from Scotland, so opted to stay outside Birmingham. However, your post got me thinking... I plan to arrive in Bristol in loads of time for the bus, to avoid the risk of traffic etc delaying me. If any other Shelter volunteers on here are doing the same, DM me if you fancy meeting up for a coffee on the Monday morning... Hotel Ibis seems as good a place as any!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I looked into that, but didn’t fancy the drive in one go from Scotland, so opted to stay outside Birmingham. However, your post got me thinking... I plan to arrive in Bristol in loads of time for the bus, to avoid the risk of traffic etc delaying me. If any other Shelter volunteers on here are doing the same, DM me if you fancy meeting up for a coffee on the Monday morning... Hotel Ibis seems as good a place as any!

This may have completely changed this year...however when I came down (a bit hungover!) the following morning the volunteers who were running it were all from Dublin had flown over that morning and were sat having breakfast in the Ibis and I went over and introduced myself...they actually offered to look my name up and tell me my shifts there and then rather than wait until like everyone else on the coach or on site.

Word of warning we were due to leave at 10am and I think due to people being late/stuck in traffic/general chaos we didn't get going till nearly 11am.

26 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

My first time volunteering, so a question.... part of what I really enjoy in the build up is following the line up on here, working out who I’ll see when, updating the clash finder.... everything this year has to be read with the caveat in the back of my mind that an act or acts may also clash with my shifts! Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked to be going, and it’s a nice problem to have, but I’d prefer if I knew my shifts well in advance in order to temper my expectations! How do you all cope?!

It is just one of those things that you have to roll with.  I still did my Clashfinder plan in 2019 and then just rejigged slightly when I got there.  I don't remember my shifts causing that much clashing anxiety but the WaterAid shifts are almost all daytime heavy focus (apart from a small number).  The biggest challenge was starting a shift at 06:30 Saturday morning after 2 hours sleep and it being absolutely fucking roasting by 08:00.

Sometimes when volunteering you really have to channel your inner Mandolorian more than when a paying customer..

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

This is one of the reasons we changed back in the day from Oxfam to litterpicking. The work is much physically harder but you know that you wont miss any bands (nightlife, well thats another matter).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, abiwish said:

Really feels like it's so close now. So excited to be back and to be volunteering for the first time.

Does anyone know when you hear if you are one of the lucky few to get early shifts with Oxfam?

It'd usually be about 2 weeks (give or take a couple days) before you'd need to arrive at the festival, so not for a while yet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

It is just one of those things that you have to roll with.  I still did my Clashfinder plan in 2019 and then just rejigged slightly when I got there.  I don't remember my shifts causing that much clashing anxiety but the WaterAid shifts are almost all daytime heavy focus (apart from a small number).  The biggest challenge was starting a shift at 06:30 Saturday morning after 2 hours sleep and it being absolutely fucking roasting by 08:00.

Sometimes when volunteering you really have to channel your inner Mandolorian more than when a paying customer..

I try to think of it or at least remind myself of the fact that its still a job really, but with an extremently attractive perk, thus anything you get to see that you wanted to see is kind of a bonus.