Volunteering 2022

stuie

Shelter volunteers working the Avalon bars have been contacted today and told that mandatory coach travel into the site will only be departing from Millenium Square, Bristol this year.  Used to depart from London and up North as well.  Any ideas on cheap long term parking in Bristol closest to this location?

53 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Been available since last night around 7pm!

Can't believe they've lasted so long!

Probably because people were not aware they were available 😂

edit: because it’s not on any socials etc 

Edited by March Hare

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Probably because people were not aware they were available 😂

edit: because it’s not on any socials etc 

1 hour ago, leath02 said:

Been available since last night around 7pm!

Can't believe they've lasted so long!

Still available now! 
unbelievable.

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

It doesn’t make any sense. How many places are there? Two of my mates have signed up

I can’t see that many people cancelling so close so I think Glasto must have upped the numbers.  

Is there anyone left on this thread that was still trying I wonder?

Just now, stuie said:

I can’t see that many people cancelling so close so I think Glasto must have upped the numbers.  

Is there anyone left on this thread that was still trying I wonder?

I went back a couple of pages and didn’t spot anyone, I think we are all in.

I agree, must have upped the numbers

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think they will stay available till it gets posted on socials … although word of mouth surely would have spread to those wanting them by now 

I posted it in oxfam group and it’s already on glasto chat! Bizarre. 

It just goes to show that ye olde saying ‘there’s always a way to get to glasto if you want to’ is still true. 

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

I posted it in oxfam group and it’s already on glasto chat! Bizarre. 

It just goes to show that ye olde saying ‘there’s always a way to get to glasto if you want to’ is still true. 

I guess the pot of people wanting to do it is limited … it’s not quite the same and if you haven’t done it once I guess you don’t know what you are missing … some just won’t want to work it 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess the pot of people wanting to do it is limited … it’s not quite the same and if you haven’t done it once I guess you don’t know what you are missing … some just won’t want to work it 

At this stage, if they don’t have a ticket already and they pass up this offer, they don’t really wanna go! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ohmygod said:

Shelter volunteers working the Avalon bars have been contacted today and told that mandatory coach travel into the site will only be departing from Millenium Square, Bristol this year.  Used to depart from London and up North as well.  Any ideas on cheap long term parking in Bristol closest to this location?

I wish we knew this way earlier. I travel down from Glasgow normally staying in London on Monday night before and after festival. Had to book my rail tickets there and accomodation in advance to get reasonable Rail fair. Now left with extra expense and if I choose to stay in Bristol on way back, real limited accommodation choice at short notice. This should have been out way earlier . 

2 minutes ago, garc1a said:

I wish we knew this way earlier. I travel down from Glasgow normally staying in London on Monday night before and after festival. Had to book my rail tickets there and accomodation in advance to get reasonable Rail fair. Now left with extra expense and if I choose to stay in Bristol on way back, real limited accommodation choice at short notice. This should have been out way earlier . 

I am shocked that they haven't mentioned this when people applied. I volunteered twice for Shelter and all the coaches in London left from Kings  X but there were a few people who were travelling down and staying the night before in London. Much too late in the day if they have only said now.

2 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

I am shocked that they haven't mentioned this when people applied.

Me too, I'm that peeved I've sent an email back with my thoughts. It's All I can do, have the cheek to mention us hurrying up so we can book cheap transport to Bristol .. that window has long passed for us! 

Thought I had everything sorted, it's the way back that's screwed as my return train on Tuesday morning from Euston means I need to get to London somehow on the Monday .

Like you say, there were lots of people from round the country who do this, I reckon we ain't the only ones screwed over by this late announcement.

17 hours ago, ohmygod said:

What’s the point of mandatory coach travel from one place, when you’ve recruited from all over the country? What a joke! 

There's quite a lot of, understandably, unhappy people in the Shelter facebook group right now. I have to say it is very poor form to drop this with such comparatively short notice, especially since when everyone signed up/paid their deposits we were told London, Sheffield and Bristol, as it had been in the past.

Wondering if they realise that these volunteers aren’t a never ending supply and word of mouth about issues this year isn’t going to help them recruit in the log run …. Awful decision by shelter that one … can’t see how that’s beneficial in any way apart from saving them a few quid on fuel …. 

Edited by crazyfool1

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Wondering if they realise that these volunteers aren’t a never ending supply and word of mouth about issues this year isn’t going to help them recruit in the log run …. Awful decision by festaff that one … can’t see how that’s beneficial in any way apart from saving them a few quid on fuel …. 

Don’t you mean shelter?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks to all on here one of my twitter followers is over the moon today … he saw my tweet about this and got in a few mins before they sold out 🙂 … 

That’s what we like to hear! 😀😀