Volunteering 2022

stuie

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

That’s pretty embarrassing all round…turn up late, get shite shifts then have to be separated for arguing?! That must have been one hell of a row!

what was it about?! 

Don't know , I saw the lady briefly on the Saturday and she was crying talking to other stewards... Only after did I hear that they were late and got different shifts and weren't working together 

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

Don't know , I saw the lady briefly on the Saturday and she was crying talking to other stewards... Only after did I hear that they were late and got different shifts and weren't working together 

To be blunt about it - if they did turn up two days late, then they're astonishingly lucky to have any shifts at all or indeed wristbands. Have to assume that there was some form of very serious reason that one of the coordinators had signed off on, as I can't imagine that being accepted if it was just "the car won't start" or similar.

3 minutes ago, Giraffe Man said:

Just had my email, fri-mon morning pick West Holts, always had Silver Hayes before but happy with this.

I did West Holts for 3 years and was good.  The stall called Good Thai Dins used to open up early for us and gave us tea/coffee and cakes at a discounted rate.

I got a veteran shift Wednesday and Thursday 8am to 5.30pm, Friday 6pm to 10pm. Pleased with that

5 minutes ago, dondo said:

I did West Holts for 3 years and was good.  The stall called Good Thai Dins used to open up early for us and gave us tea/coffee and cakes at a discounted rate.

I got a veteran shift Wednesday and Thursday 8am to 5.30pm, Friday 6pm to 10pm. Pleased with that

I have never asked for a vet shift as prefer the earlys but they are always over subscribed so thats a result. I think most stay on the crews once they have done it the first time so more people ask each time. Just so so happy to be going back after the break

35 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Would love a vet shift but as a charity team member you cant have them...

That is a shame given how many years yourself and other charity teams have done.

I was surprised to get it (I think it was my 2nd choice) as a veteran friend of mine didn't get any of the veteran shifts- which was the same for me in 2019

22 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

If you come back late to Toms Field and make lots of noise (because you dont have to get up at 5am) then you're going to get a severe tutting 😁

I know where you are coming from with that . All my previous shifts were early during fest.

4 minutes ago, Pipine said:

It’s one of the other upsides of volunteering, when you want to go to sleep it’s generally pretty quiet in the crew camping field, it was (mostly) in the oxfield anyway.. 

Yes I agree. A couple of times when people have been loud late at night coming back to their tents I have heard them being asked to keep it down 

5 minutes ago, Pipine said:

It’s one of the other upsides of volunteering, when you want to go to sleep it’s generally pretty quiet in the crew camping field, it was (mostly) in the oxfield anyway.. 

Random things often stick in the memory post Glastonbury.  In 2019, It was quite a sight to see the amount of people that had dragged bedding into the woods adjacent to Toms Field to try and get a nap somewhere that was cooler than a tent.  So hot

I got myself a decathlon fresh and black for this reason!  In 2019 working for oxfam I struggled to sleep for long after my night shift due to the heat. I’m on early mornings with the recycle crew so shouldn’t be an issue but I can definitely see the value in fresh and black tents.

I have managed to get shifts with WaterAid that will reduce the sleep deprivation (typed optimistically) and reckon I should be able to burn the candle at both ends and still get 4 or 5 hours night which is the most I would realistically expect to get.

48 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I got myself a decathlon fresh and black for this reason!  In 2019 working for oxfam I struggled to sleep for long after my night shift due to the heat. I’m on early mornings with the recycle crew so shouldn’t be an issue but I can definitely see the value in fresh and black tents.

I have one and they are great. Even though I was on earlies with recycling crew in 2019 it was good for an afternoon nap and respite from the heat

2 hours ago, Pipine said:

Yeah it is much better the past coupe of years, before that we had some occasional weird non recycling crew in the field who could get a bit noisy.