Volunteering 2022

stuie

30 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Don't think there were any briefings on Monday, as there'd still be a lot of people to arrive. I remember it as Tuesday briefings for people working Wednesday, and Wednesday briefings for the rest. I think. Three years is a long time.

I arrived on the Monday at about 13.30 and by the time I had collected my wrist band and welcome pack I just made it to the first meeting. Which was great because i could then go exploring.

54 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Don't think there were any briefings on Monday, as there'd still be a lot of people to arrive. I remember it as Tuesday briefings for people working Wednesday, and Wednesday briefings for the rest. I think. Three years is a long time.

I went to the Monday one in 2019. 

On 4/25/2022 at 9:35 AM, stuie said:

I went to the Monday one in 2019. 

Yeah, me too. If I remember correctly people didn’t enjoy them because they thought the speaker was a bit condescending. Think it was the bit when the listed reasons your wristband could be cut off 😂

I thought they were pretty good. Covered the basics well.

Edited by March Hare

On 4/27/2022 at 6:51 PM, March Hare said:

Yeah, me too. If I remember correctly people didn’t enjoy them because they thought the speaker was a bit condescending. Think it was the bit when the listed reasons your wristband could be cut off 😂

I thought they were pretty good. Covered the basics well.

Yeah, there's quite a lot of stuff in the Oxfam brief which is there so no one can say "you didn't tell me I couldn't do that"...  I've sat through a fair few of them now at various festivals - think my favourite one was where someone bought a little "ding" counter bell thing which they hit every time the coordinator made the same joke he'd made the previous year.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

For anybody still looking for an Oxfam place don't give up. I know somebody who randomly logged in last Friday and a place was there - he's now going.

I dream of this happening to me! I have page change alerts set up but obviously not working. Any idea what time he logged in? I wonder if the page gets updated at a certain time of day or something...

2 minutes ago, Greengoblin said:

I dream of this happening to me! I have page change alerts set up but obviously not working. Any idea what time he logged in? I wonder if the page gets updated at a certain time of day or something...

It's not a certain time of day thing - it's when the admin is done to release the place(s) back into the pool.

I'd guess that office hours are most likely, but @abiwish got one randomly at something like 11pm one night so it can be later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, incident said:

It's not a certain time of day thing - it's when the admin is done to release the place(s) back into the pool.

I'd guess that office hours are most likely, but @abiwish got one randomly at something like 11pm one night so it can be later.

Thanks, I'll just keep checking throughout the day I guess 🙏

1 hour ago, Greengoblin said:

It was about 4:30 but as @incident says, I don't think there is a pattern. 

Best of luck and don't give up, in 2019 I know somebody who got a place the week before the festival.

2 hours ago, Greengoblin said:

The distill extension on chrome has worked in the past

On 4/23/2022 at 9:53 AM, gazzared said:

When a couple arrived late in 2019 on the Thursday they were given terrible shifts because people had to be moved to cover the shifts they missed on the wednesday and Thursday so they ended up getting Friday late shift, Saturday nights and Sunday Nights then they had to be separated because they were arguing but but this was unplanned lateness so maybe you could contact Oxfam . In 2019 the meetings were twice a day on Monday and Tuesday about 15.30 and 17.30.

That’s pretty embarrassing all round…turn up late, get shite shifts then have to be separated for arguing?! That must have been one hell of a row!

what was it about?!