Wet Leg

MaxPower

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah this certainly feels like an album a lot of critics will be slightly overpraising initially in the fear of lowballing it and getting it horribly wrong. I’m sure it’ll be decent though. The singles have all been pretty enjoyable and then add in a couple of album (and possibly filler) tracks and you’ve still got a nice selection of songs for people to belt along to that their live show seemingly needs if accounts on here are to be believed. 

Excited to see Pitchfork’s review. Hard to guess whether they’ll like it or go against the grain and give it a 5.4 or something equally as silly. 

As I said earlier I've held off listening to large chunks of it so looking forward to getting into it on Friday.

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah this certainly feels like an album a lot of critics will be slightly overpraising initially in the fear of lowballing it and getting it horribly wrong. I’m sure it’ll be decent though. The singles have all been pretty enjoyable and then add in a couple of album (and possibly filler) tracks and you’ve still got a nice selection of songs for people to belt along to that their live show seemingly needs if accounts on here are to be believed. 

Excited to see Pitchfork’s review. Hard to guess whether they’ll like it or go against the grain and give it a 5.4 or something equally as silly. 

Itll get a best new music. They just gave The Linda Lindas an 8.0 without a BNM. Theyre saving it for Wet Leg.

Rhian had an EP out a few years back that I loved and played a lot.  It's very different.  a little kate bush. 

https://rhainmusic.bandcamp.com/album/oscar-november-echo-ep

Wet Leg were in the US twice already this year and saw them 4 times in the past few months.  I like the songs, and even at one they did a talking heads cover (psycho killer, naturally).  

I think this record is fun, and I hope for their sake it will stand the test of time, even if it is a little novel.  But judging by her old EP, she has the chops to go beyond.  

Without passing judgement on the substance of the review (I haven’t settled on how I feel about the album yet) the way that pitchfork piece reads is absolute torture. Like a GCSE English Literature essay, excruciating to get through.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/wet-leg-wet-leg/?mbid=social_twitter&utm_brand=p4k&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

Without passing judgement on the substance of the review (I haven’t settled on how I feel about the album yet) the way that pitchfork piece reads is absolute torture. Like a GCSE English Literature essay, excruciating to get through.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/wet-leg-wet-leg/?mbid=social_twitter&utm_brand=p4k&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter

That’s Laura Snapes for you

2 hours ago, MaxPower said:

I've got a headache after reading that. Totally overwritten. Excruciating to get through....unlike the album which I am happily listening to right now. Looking forward to seeing Wet Leg on the farm.

1 hour ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Was their aim when writing Being in Love to be as annoying as possible? 

Actually was one of my favourites on the record. I think the record slumps in the middle saved by Wet Dream and picks back up at Your Mum but they may be down to needing a few listens but I defo think I Don't Want To Go Out, Convincing and Loving You are the low lights and having them pretty much in a row felt like a slog the 2nd time through. Can't fault the final 5 though and ending on what is my favourite song of the year so far Too Late Now is hugeeeee. 

Edited by Slugy

After a couple of listens I really like it. I don’t think it’s a classic that we’ll be talking about for years but it doesn’t have to be, it’s just a fun album full of catchy songs. I see it as being a bit like The Vaccines debut, plenty of hype, a couple of breakthrough hits and a great summer at festivals. I’m guessing they’ll be in the JP tent but they’d pack out either there or the Park, looking forward to it either way. 

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

After a couple of listens I really like it. I don’t think it’s a classic that we’ll be talking about for years but it doesn’t have to be, it’s just a fun album full of catchy songs. I see it as being a bit like The Vaccines debut, plenty of hype, a couple of breakthrough hits and a great summer at festivals. I’m guessing they’ll be in the JP tent but they’d pack out either there or the Park, looking forward to it either way. 

Love that first Vaccines debut comparison. I was at Isle of Wight fest just before it was released watching Wild Beasts in the tent with Vaccines following. Wild Beasts was dead pretty much, I turn around after the final song and it was about 10 deep outside the big top which I was pushing through because I didn't get the Vaccines hype at the time and was actually quite annoyed that they had about 20x more people watching them than one of the greatest bands ever. I held that against for quite a while until the Vaccines ear worm machine worked its way in. Totally on the hype train for Wet Leg though, glad the album didn't disappoint and was not just carried by its singles.

19 minutes ago, Slugy said:

Love that first Vaccines debut comparison. I was at Isle of Wight fest just before it was released watching Wild Beasts in the tent with Vaccines following. Wild Beasts was dead pretty much, I turn around after the final song and it was about 10 deep outside the big top which I was pushing through because I didn't get the Vaccines hype at the time and was actually quite annoyed that they had about 20x more people watching them than one of the greatest bands ever. I held that against for quite a while until the Vaccines ear worm machine worked its way in. Totally on the hype train for Wet Leg though, glad the album didn't disappoint and was not just carried by its singles.

Feeling quite old now I’ve realised that was over 10 years ago!

4 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Oh No is the plodder. Should've left that one off. 

Yeah that’s the worst one for me too. It was my least favourite of the singles but I wasn’t sure how the album tracks would hold up to it. Turns out they’re pretty good and that’s the weakest song on there. 

• Upvote 1