Wet Leg

MaxPower

33 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah its bonkers. 

Again this doesn't mean a lot but if anyone if interested Rhian has been been making music for years as Rhain: 

And I've posted one of Hester's previous bands above - she's been involved in a few projects as far as I'm aware. 

I'm pretty sure both were touring with/providing backing vocals for Plastic Mermaids just before Wet Leg, too. 

This has completely blown my mind. Did not realise she was Rhain also, which seems utterly dim in hindsight. 

Seen her several times supporting and playing with Plastic Mermaids. She’s got a brilliant voice which is somewhat underplayed in Wet Leg. 

They have managed to straddle the important bridge between Radio 1 and 6music. Not sure if they get played on R2 as well because I never listen to it. Whoever their radio plugger is did an amazing job.

Seen them twice. They are ok. I enjoyed them at Green Man because it was such a new thing for them, maybe the next gig after Latitude. They were laughing on stage during songs at the sheer ridiculousness of the size of the crowd.

Seeing them again and hearing more songs has led me to believe they rushed the album out to capitalise on their success. Some of the songs sounded quite weak. It's unlikely I'll spend any time listening to it.

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

This was stull very much my experience in Manchester a few weeks ago. The first few songs were a bit slow and they kinda plod their way into it, but once it got going it was bags of fun. 

Great to hear. Perhaps (similar to what Gilgamesh said) a full set, rather than 25 minutes at a festival or as a support act, is still a bit much for them right now?

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They'll have an album out on Friday and you'll know all the songs. That'll change it.

Agree that'll help. Depends on the quality of the songsb though, of course. I loved their set the first time without knowing any of their music at all, but it was only 8 songs long. Intrigued how they maintain the joyous vibe whilst carrying the inevitable (and no shame in it at this point) lesser tracks over a longer set.

After seen them supporting Inhaler last year I thought their live show was a bit lifeless and the setlist lacked depth. I suspect they'll have a massive festival summer but struggle to maintain a fanbase and fall away again within 12 months. Be interested to see what the album is like.

20 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Just had a look at that video, tremendous. I think you're definitely on to something with this. I was at a gig and amongst the songs they played before the band came on, they played The Ting Tings and everyone went nuts. No-one has given The Ting Tings a 2nd thought for years 

Can you link it? I can’t find a live performance at GM, only the session recording. 

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Glowing reviews from what I’ve seen so far. Get the feeling though that the hype and anticipation for this album means nobody is going to slag it off initially.

Looking forward to hearing it on Friday.

Yeah this certainly feels like an album a lot of critics will be slightly overpraising initially in the fear of lowballing it and getting it horribly wrong. I’m sure it’ll be decent though. The singles have all been pretty enjoyable and then add in a couple of album (and possibly filler) tracks and you’ve still got a nice selection of songs for people to belt along to that their live show seemingly needs if accounts on here are to be believed. 

Excited to see Pitchfork’s review. Hard to guess whether they’ll like it or go against the grain and give it a 5.4 or something equally as silly.