Wet Leg

MaxPower

Wet Leg have released a new single “Ur Mum” (another cracker imo, but probs weakest of the lot so far).

they’ve a full length self-titled album coming out on April 8th, but their single release strategy has been odd. Each single has had all the previous singles on it - this trend started on a (digital?) reissue of their third single, that originally had just Too Late Now and Oh No on it, but now also has Chaise Longue and Wet Dream on it, then Angelica had all previous 4 songs on it, and now Ur Mum has all 6 songs so far. 

Writing this because this seems pretty unusual to me - the album can’t have that many more songs than the 6 singles we already have, so hard to know why they have (or presumably, Domino Records has) gone with this strategy of tacking all the previous songs together onto the new singles?

This isn’t the first odd thing they’ve done - when I first listened to Chaise Longue on Spotify it had sub-20k listens, and was their only track on Spotify. However they did have at least one previous track on Spotify (Girlfriend, available on YouTube, not a great track) that’s been scrubbed from existence. This would make sense if they opted to do this after Chaise Longue became an instant hit, but it seems to have been done before so, which is interesting that (again, presumably) Domino saw they were going to blow up, so pre-emptively scrubbed the internet of previous releases that maybe weren’t of the standard.

Edited by MaxPower

I think the simple answer is, artists/labels do this so when the single finishes (with the latest single at the top of the 'album' or 'ep' release streaming list they've put it as) it just goes into the next one and doesn't just end and therefore increasing listening scope/marketing/streaming royalties. 

That's how I've understood it anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I think the simple answer is, artists/labels do this so when the single finishes (with the latest single at the top of the 'album' or 'ep' release streaming list they've put it as) it just goes into the next one and doesn't just end and therefore increasing listening scope/marketing/streaming royalties. 

That's how I've understood it anyway.

Ah yeah that makes total sense.

Pretty standard practice these days. Don't be surprised if those particular listings disappear at some point too once the album comes out. scatteredscreens reasoning is exactly right in that it is a way to have people listen to more of the tracks as it runs on beyond the single thereby garnering more plays and more profile and more royalties. It's also good promo for the album as if you like them all you are probably going to want to listen to the whole thing once it is out. It is also convenient, particularly for debut albums like this one as you can listen to all the material conveniently rather than having to scratch around for it or make a playlist of your own.

Another quirk of the modern streaming era is a single releasing the same day as the album in order to make it onto the various playlists to boost the profile of the record, gain attention and gather more listens. It's all about that play count these days and if they use a tactic to get it in your ears and get your attention, they will do it.

I've had a bootleg of the album downloaded on my Spotify for a while. It's good, but the best stuff is definitely the singles. Although I think there's a couple more in there that people will enjoy a lot, most notably, "Supermarket", thought that one would be used as a single.

The other tracks are good, but not great. To me it feels like they've taken tracks that are fine, but tried to sprinkle the Wet Leg formula on them, e.g. a few innuendos, and a few blatant sexual lines as well as adding a few "woo's" for the sake of it, and they come across as a bit filler to me.

The singles are great, there's a couple good ones in there to look out for. Listen out for "Piece Of Shit" and "Loving You". But I'm not a huge fan of "Being In Love" or "I Don't Wanna Go Out".

Kitty Empire in the Guardian gave it 3/5 which I thinks a bit harsh, I'd give it a 4, but I agree with a lot of what she says.

A bit off topic, but I find Wet Leg's personality and persona in interviews a bit grating. The whole "we're so suprised that we've become so big so quickly, we can't believe it, it's amazing!". It's like come on guys, you're not stupid, Domino have obviously strapped you to a huge rocket powered by money. But the tracks are good, so overall I'm happy.

It might not be the biggest, most acclaimed British debut of the past 10 years that some were hoping for, but it's got some fantastic tracks and it's well worth a listen.

4 minutes ago, Miyn said:

A bit off topic, but I find Wet Leg's personality and persona in interviews a bit grating. The whole "we're so suprised that we've become so big so quickly, we can't believe it, it's amazing!". It's like come on guys, you're not stupid, Domino have obviously strapped you to a huge rocket powered by money. But the tracks are good, so overall I'm happy.

Kind of hate this viewpoint tbh, they very obviously have blown up from basically nothing, regardless of their label backing them a lot. I sincerely doubt they expected to be playing on talk show slots in the US last June when Chaise Longue came out. They’re entitled to be blown away by it I think.

39 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I've had a bootleg of the album downloaded on my Spotify for a while. It's good, but the best stuff is definitely the singles. Although I think there's a couple more in there that people will enjoy a lot, most notably, "Supermarket", thought that one would be used as a single.

The other tracks are good, but not great. To me it feels like they've taken tracks that are fine, but tried to sprinkle the Wet Leg formula on them, e.g. a few innuendos, and a few blatant sexual lines as well as adding a few "woo's" for the sake of it, and they come across as a bit filler to me.

The singles are great, there's a couple good ones in there to look out for. Listen out for "Piece Of Shit" and "Loving You". But I'm not a huge fan of "Being In Love" or "I Don't Wanna Go Out".

Kitty Empire in the Guardian gave it 3/5 which I thinks a bit harsh, I'd give it a 4, but I agree with a lot of what she says.

It might not be the biggest, most acclaimed British debut of the past 10 years that some were hoping for, but it's got some fantastic tracks and it's well worth a listen.

I can't be the only one surprised theres wet leg bootlegs going about? for a 'while' too - they aren't particularly big just seems weird they are doing the rounds unless you know them well or something

1 minute ago, gfa said:

I can't be the only one surprised theres wet leg bootlegs going about? for a 'while' too - they aren't particularly big just seems weird they are doing the rounds unless you know them well or something

Should have clarified, it's basically a live bootleg. But it's the audio from the soundboard at a gig, so it's not perfect, but it's pretty good quality for what's available at the moment.

1 minute ago, Miyn said:

Should have clarified, it's basically a live bootleg. But it's the audio from the soundboard at a gig, so it's not perfect, but it's pretty good quality for what's available at the moment.

ah fair

41 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Kind of hate this viewpoint tbh, they very obviously have blown up from basically nothing, regardless of their label backing them a lot. I sincerely doubt they expected to be playing on talk show slots in the US last June when Chaise Longue came out. They’re entitled to be blown away by it I think.

I think both sides of this argument are valid. I totally agree with you on this, but I can't help but suspect their Domino deal was lined up pretty much from the moment they started the band, if not before. I'm not sure about the members' history though, so I'm not the most qualified to say this.

They're great, though, so fair play.

38 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Their label has definitely helped them get booked for places that they would have heavily struggled to otherwise. They've got the songs to back it up, but I feel like they've been given an easier ride to the top than a lot of bands thanks to their label. Their rise feels very co-ordinated to me, it's very well thought out. But it's insincere to act like they're just making it up as they go along.

I lean towards the plant side of things regarding Wet Leg but i don't really care - they have some good tunes. Not sure if they will ever top Chaise Longue though, their recent singles have been so poor in comparison but i hope they do continue to grow.

1 minute ago, wro_lap said:

I think both sides of this argument are valid. I totally agree with you on this, but I can't help but suspect their Domino deal was lined up pretty much from the moment they started the band, if not before. I'm not sure about the members' history though, so I'm not the most qualified to say this.

They're great, though, so fair play.

I think they got picked up by whilst they were already a band. I think they got spotted and someone from that label thought they were great and managed to get them a deal and a relationship with Domino. They've played gigs as Wet Leg since at least 2019. There's a couple of videos on YouTube I think.

But I'm pretty sure Domino wanted a clean slate to work with sort of, so they basically removed any sign of them existing before 2021 and before releasing Chaise Longue. They used to have some songs on Soundcloud which weren't the best in my opinion, but they've since been removed as well.

2 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I think they got picked up by whilst they were already a band. I think they got spotted and someone from that label thought they were great and managed to get them a deal and a relationship with Domino. They've played gigs as Wet Leg since at least 2019. There's a couple of videos on YouTube I think.

But I'm pretty sure Domino wanted a clean slate to work with sort of, so they basically removed any sign of them existing before 2021 and before releasing Chaise Longue. They used to have some songs on Soundcloud which weren't the best in my opinion, but they've since been removed as well.

Yeah, this makes sense and is definitely something I've heard of happening before.

I guess however they found their way to the top, I welcome it. Good tunes are good tunes, so I'm here for it

11 minutes ago, Miyn said:

Yeah this is my understanding  - the “out of nowhere” pre chaise Longue perception is manufactured I think, but the meteoric rise is organic imo (even with a label backing - plenty of bands have this and it’s not like Domino is a behemoth label).

Edited by MaxPower

I don't think they are faking the whole 'humble' act. I watched their set from the 6 music festival and they genuinely looked like they can't believe it's happening to them. Just cos a label are pushing them, it doesn't guarantee success. It's not as if they are making formulaic, generic pop that's certain to sell.

As for the debut album, well let's see. The problem with all the hype is everyone is expecting one of the greatest debuts of all time. If/when it isn't, people are gonna slag them off, instead of saying "that was a pretty good debut, can't wait to see what they do next".

Doesn't really matter what happens next for them, whether the album goes big or not at all, although as far as I can work out, albums really aren't that important any more, and that's fine.

Main thing is that 20 years from now, in-between acts at a festival, the dj will stick on 'Chaise Longue' and half the crowd, those old enough to remember, will turn to each other and grin wildy and sing along. It's a form of immortality, and fair fucks to them. That video of them performing it at Green Man is the most joyous thing I've seen in ages and ages.

Edited by Mardy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Doesn't really matter what happens next for them, whether the album goes big or not at all, although as far as I can work out, albums really aren't that important any more, and that's fine.

Main thing is that 20 years from now, in-between acts at a festival, the dj will stick on 'Chaise Longue' and half the crowd, those old enough to remember, will turn to each other and grin wildy and sing along. It's a form of immortality, and fair fucks to them. That video of them performing it at Green Man is the most joyous thing I've seen in ages and ages.

Yep this! As a middle aged person now I know the songs that will always make my friends happy to get on a dance floor. They are a common languages and anyone in their late teens/early 20's will have Chaise Longue as their Common People and I just love to see it, 

20 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Just had a look at that video, tremendous. I think you're definitely on to something with this. I was at a gig and amongst the songs they played before the band came on, they played The Ting Tings and everyone went nuts. No-one has given The Ting Tings a 2nd thought for years 

There’s really no shady background or industry planting going on here. They were signed by a large indie label because the label liked them, then they got the kind of backing you’d expect them to get, which is not nothing but is no guarantee of success. A lot of people at Domino are also pretty surprised it’s gone this well, but they’ve obviously connected with people and good for them.

Edited by Bradders
  • Upvote 1