Sticklinch Vs Worthy View

markussnoopy

Where to Camp - Sticklinch Vs Worthy View  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Where to Camp? Sticklinch Vs Worthy View ?

• Sticklinch
    • Worthy View

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted already but I couldn't find an exact thread.

My wife has booked a 4 man bell tent in Sticklinch (new off site camping) and I booked a similar tent in Worthy View a day or so later when they became available again.

We obviously need to cancel one of the bookings (before May 6th) but we're stumped on which one to cancel and which one to keep!

We're driving to the site by car and will park in the relevant dedicated campsite car park

Worthy View

Pros:  

• Close to Stone Circle, The Park and naughty arena 
  • Seems to be an amazing view from the campsite

Cons:

• Steep gradient from Tipi field and Stone Circle on and steep steps from Stone circle field to campsite entrance
  • Not somewhere where you'd pop back for food/drink supplies or costume change half way through the day to prep for evening/night 

Sticklinch 

Pros:  

• Relatively flat (slightest of gradient) all the way to campsite
  • Close to The Park (very close to Carmageddon but not an area I'm that fond of)
  • Probably not the worst campsite (not great but manageable) to go back for food/drink supplies or costume change half way through the day to prep for evening/night 

Cons:

• A significant distance/walk to everywhere else
  • No view as per Worthy View

We've not real problems with the steps and don't mind going back up them at the end of a night. We also have no mobility issues (we're in our early 40s)

Which to go for? Maybe correct me on my impressions above and anything else I may have missed. Below is an awesome graphic that should give context where everything is:

(Thanks to Graham Chapman @CoffeeGordon on Twitter for this amazing image here and thanks to @TheGlastoThingy for sharing it here)

image.thumb.png.853b9e30868aef6334116547484dea72.png

The bell tents in WV are higher up the campsite closer and to the entrance from the car park the they are to the festival. I've stayed in the WV Bells and they are great but for me (rather than the rest of my group) it did feel a little remote from the festival. 

We shall be in Sticklinch this year and with Rigs Field on the other side of the hedge it should hopefully feel more like a natural extension of the festival itself. It also appears to be a lot easier to get back too during the day should you want to whereas it is much more of a slog to do that for WV.

Edited by Hotchilidog
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

The bell tents in WV are higher up the campsite closer and to the entrance from the car park the they are to the festival. I've stayed in the WV Bells and they are great but for me (rather than the rest of my group) it did feel a little remote from the festival. 

We shall be in Sticklinch this year and with Rigs Field on the other side of the hedge it should hopefully feel more like a natural extension of the festival itself. It also appears to be a lot easier to get back too during the day should you want to whereas it is much more of a slog to do that for WV.

thanks @Hotchilidog, that's one vote for Sticklinch. Didn't think of the position of the bell tents.

• Like 1

We’ve always stayed in the Sticklinch fields since 2014 as that has previously been the west campervan field.

I’d say you barely notice the gradient on the walk to the fields and it’s always been a really quiet area once you get past the cinema bit so if you’re looking for sleep it should be good for that. The two fields themselves are pretty compact so even if you ended up at the back of the outer Sticklinch field it would only take 5 mins to get to the ‘pass-out’ gate (if they even have that this year?).

I don’t think I ever went back to the field once I was out for the day as we tended to allow 45 mins to walk to the pyramid and surrounding area and I could never be bothered going back once out. To get to the Park it used to take us about 20 mins (as unfortunately you can’t access it though the side so have to go down to Arcadia and then up into the park).

Our favourite thing about those fields though was always how easy it was to get in and out of them as it seemed like all the traffic was on the north and east side of the site. So leaving on the Monday was a breeze. Not sure where the parking for Sticklinch is though and Worthy view might be similar in terms of the easy access - I haven’t stayed there before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Summertime said:

We’ve always stayed in the Sticklinch fields since 2014 as that has previously been the west campervan field.

I’d say you barely notice the gradient on the walk to the fields and it’s always been a really quiet area once you get past the cinema bit so if you’re looking for sleep it should be good for that. The two fields themselves are pretty compact so even if you ended up at the back of the outer Sticklinch field it would only take 5 mins to get to the ‘pass-out’ gate (if they even have that this year?).

I don’t think I ever went back to the field once I was out for the day as we tended to allow 45 mins to walk to the pyramid and surrounding area and I could never be bothered going back once out. To get to the Park it used to take us about 20 mins (as unfortunately you can’t access it though the side so have to go down to Arcadia and then up into the park).

Our favourite thing about those fields though was always how easy it was to get in and out of them as it seemed like all the traffic was on the north and east side of the site. So leaving on the Monday was a breeze. Not sure where the parking for Sticklinch is though and Worthy view might be similar in terms of the easy access - I haven’t stayed there before. 

This is great @Summertime, thanks.  Great to get the sticklinch perspective from someone who has stayed there as there may not be a lot of feedback on it as it's a new campsite wise but it seems the walk back is not a big deal albeit far enough in that you may not bother walking back to get supplies.

Getting the A361 down south to the car park seems like a potential breeze alright.

Even with that 'down to arcadia to get to the park' route does not seem bad.. I'd take a 20 min walk..

I've been to it as West Campervan field and queues to get in etc were always really small. It may be slightly longer with tents than caravans but for me it was easy to go back to if we needed to. We spend a lot of time at the park so was good for that for us. If I were to pick one for me it would be sticklinch all the way. 

If you are perfectly mobile it's still easier to walk a longer distance on the flat rather than a big hill so just for the shorter queues I'd pick sticklinch. 

• Thanks 1

Only thing I would say about Sticklinch (having spent the last 5 festivals there in motorhome/caravan) is that there is quite a slope on the fields - ok in a van which you can level, but may be less comfortable in a tent?  The trip in/out is very level for the most part, but The Park is not as near as you might think as you can only enter from the bottom where it meets Arcadia/Pangaea.

• Thanks 1

I've stayed at Worthy View couple times. Its a cracking site, and being just up from Strummerville ( which was always a great place to stop for a chill while) it seemed great. Views heading down are awesome towards Pennard but it is a helluva walk back up that hill but even in rain seemed safe and ok. Don't do it more than once unless  there is a serious reason as it does take couple hours out your day!! 

5 hours ago, Armourman said:

I've stayed at Worthy View couple times. Its a cracking site, and being just up from Strummerville ( which was always a great place to stop for a chill while) it seemed great. Views heading down are awesome towards Pennard but it is a helluva walk back up that hill but even in rain seemed safe and ok. Don't do it more than once unless  there is a serious reason as it does take couple hours out your day!! 

A couple of hours ?! 😱

1 hour ago, am00 said:

A couple of hours ?! 😱

Totally depends on where you’re coming from.

It could certainly take that long if you were starting off from the North side of the site, Pyramid or JPT say. Or if you struggled with the hill.

Obviously a lot less if you’re coming from the Park or stone circle. 🙂

Tactical use of the lockups is highly recommended to avoid trips back. 

2 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Totally depends on where you’re coming from.

It could certainly take that long if you were starting off from the North side of the site, Pyramid or JPT say. Or if you struggled with the hill.

Obviously a lot less if you’re coming from the Park or stone circle. 🙂

Yeah... Good point on the use of lockups.  Packing up some supplies in a bag and leaving in a lockup could be an option. I'm sure you can leave a backpack in right? 

13 minutes ago, markussnoopy said:

Yeah... Good point on the use of lockups.  Packing up some supplies in a bag and leaving in a lockup could be an option. I'm sure you can leave a backpack in right? 

Oh yes, they take pretty much anything. A rucksack will be absolutely fine. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, markussnoopy said:

9 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Oh yes, they take pretty much anything. A rucksack will be absolutely fine. 

I work on the lockups - we will take pretty much anything including bicycles, musical instruments.... So no problem with a rucksack of whatever size.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

I work on the lockups - we will take pretty much anything including bicycles, musical instruments.... So no problem with a rucksack of whatever size.

A few years ago someone in the queue in front of me insisted on putting half a slice of cake, complete with plate, into the lockup at gate c. 😆

It did look like great cake though to be fair 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

A few years ago someone in the queue in front of me insisted on putting half a slice of cake, complete with plate, into the lockup at gate c. 😆

I've often bought too much cake, if only I had the foresight to realise and store it, rather than put it in my tummy. 

38 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Bizarre, but as long as as there's somewhere on it we can attach a ticket, then fair enough!

Nobody is quite sure what Sticklinch will be like as it's the first year.  However its worth noting that all the kind of cute "niche" accomodation options (tipis, pod pads, yurts and "true" bell-tents) have been moved to sticklinch.  WV will now only have scout tents and a few of the "Glastonbury Bells" (Glastobells as I call them!).

Will that mean that WV loses its charm a little?  Hard to say.  As long as they keep the little food tent and bar at the top of the hill, should still be nice.

We're in SL this year in one of the bells, so I'm hoping it'll be similar to how WV was.  The expectation is both areas should have flush toilets and showers (its not clear on glastonbury's website, but they have confirmed in private queries).  I'm also hoping sticklinch has its own food option similar to the tent in WV (loved getting a waffle and a coffee from there!). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, t0paz said:

Sticklinch looks smaller than WV to me. I’m hoping it still has enough people to make running a bar and food outlet worthwhile

Really hope so mate….Can’t see why they wouldn’t though. We went the first year of worthy view and it there was a bar etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 9:19 PM, jimmillen said:

100% this for WV. Use the Pennards lock up, just down the hill from Pennard Hill Gate. Store a change of clothes for evening, wet weather gear if it's sunny (there may be a freak thunderstorm and you don;t want to have to run up the hill to get your wellies), basically any 'just in case' stuff or things you don;t want to lug around...the possibilities are endless.