Size of Stages - 2022 Edition

stuartbert two hats

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

Other stage definitely needs more speakers "can't remember what they're called" , if there's a crosswind and your not down the front then the sound is shite 

I’m sure there’s a user on here that’s always keen for an in depth convo about this issue. Stu something I’m sure

2 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Other stage definitely needs more speakers "can't remember what they're called" , if there's a crosswind and your not down the front then the sound is shite 

Yeah I remember for Liam Gallagher I was to the right of the sound desk and the sound just kept disappearing in the wind. I can only assume it’s some sort of licence issue as far as sound levels,  as despite being bigger the Pyramid field has an extra two rows of speakers as well as the main ones. 

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah I remember for Liam Gallagher I was to the right of the sound desk and the sound just kept disappearing in the wind. I can only assume it’s some sort of licence issue as far as sound levels,  as despite being bigger the Pyramid field has an extra two rows of speakers as well as the main ones. 

And W Holts is smaller, but still has repeaters. It's because it's a different PA.

thegodfather-love.gif

• Like 1

The numbers are blowing my mind! I feel like ally pally is 10,000 right and that's the biggest standing venue in London but the 4th biggest stage is that size. I can't imagine 70,000 on the other, that sounds mad but when you're there you can mostly get to a decent spot. 

few questions.. been 5 years and wondering about a few places 

Funkingham Palace - 6000 

Is this in the park??

The Yard (formally The Basketball Court): 362

Where is this, I've never heard of it. What's the vibe?

The Rabbit Hole - 3,472 that's mad it's that much. Always assumed like 500. 

1 hour ago, CurrySauce said:

The numbers are blowing my mind! I feel like ally pally is 10,000 right and that's the biggest standing venue in London but the 4th biggest stage is that size. I can't imagine 70,000 on the other, that sounds mad but when you're there you can mostly get to a decent spot. 

Funkingham Palace - 6000 

Is this in the park??

Some of the numbers don't feel quite right to me. Rabbit Hole in particular is a tiny venue. There's no way it has the same capacity as Manchester Apollo. Is The Glade as big as Brixton Academy? JP the same capacity as Ally Pally?

11 hours ago, tumbles said:

They took 50% of row mead for the stones gig in 2013 and don’t think it’s ever been back since. That must added a bit more 

It wasn't 50%, I'd estimate it at 15%, maybe 20 at a stretch (image from 2017).

image.png.d233ec1b006a82421f1225db5e36f04d.png

Honestly, in the context of the field as a whole, I doubt that the difference to the overall capacity will be all that significant - it's pretty much just an extra sliver of land - I suspect that the biggest benefit is making it easier to keep the path clear or at least give people somewhere to go if vehicles need access.

3 hours ago, CurrySauce said:

Funkingham Palace - 6000 

Is this in the park??

Funkingham Palace and Rabbit Hole answers were jokes by a guy who works there.

I’ve never heard of The Yard (or Basketball Court) either. And a very specific capacity, is that a joke too?

2 hours ago, Bradders said:

I’ve never heard of The Yard (or Basketball Court) either. And a very specific capacity, is that a joke too?

According to the last attempt at this, The Yard is something to do with (or just is?) the smoking area of NYC Downlow

5 hours ago, CurrySauce said:

Its important to remember that Ally Pally is usually full whereas other will mostly be around half that. Crowd composition at festivals / london venues is so different as well, theres much more movement at festivals as people are constantly coming and going which makes it easier to get a decent spot I think.

Finbsury and Victoria are about 45k each, anyone know what BST is at Hyde Park out of curiosity while on the subject? I thought that was about 70k right?

6 hours ago, incident said:

It wasn't 50%, I'd estimate it at 15%, maybe 20 at a stretch (image from 2017).

image.png.d233ec1b006a82421f1225db5e36f04d.png

Honestly, in the context of the field as a whole, I doubt that the difference to the overall capacity will be all that significant - it's pretty much just an extra sliver of land - I suspect that the biggest benefit is making it easier to keep the path clear or at least give people somewhere to go if vehicles need access.

Maybe I'm imagining that in 2013 they went a good deal further back and since have slowly given it back.  That back walkway is horrendous when the field is nearly full. 

12 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Maybe I'm imagining that in 2013 they went a good deal further back and since have slowly given it back.  That back walkway is horrendous when the field is nearly full. 

Yeah, looking at the photos 2013 was a bit more severe, with it then having been roughly consistent (at the size shown above) from 2014 onwards.

• Upvote 1

The Rabbit Hole can’t be that big? That’s not far off Brixton Academy but having seen Confidence Man and Fontaines in there in recent fests there is no way it’s that size, couple of hundred at most… unless there’s another part? 

Edit - found this terrible pic I got in the rabbit hole for Confidence Man in 2017, even smaller than I remember, definitely not 3,000+ 

91FA4F34-6E94-4983-81C3-887E0C046C13.jpeg

Edited by mike46

30 minutes ago, mike46 said:

The Rabbit Hole can’t be that big? That’s not far off Brixton Academy but having seen Confidence Man and Fontaines in there in recent fests there is no way it’s that size, couple of hundred at most… unless there’s another part? 

Edit - found this terrible pic I got in the rabbit hole for Confidence Man in 2017, even smaller than I remember, definitely not 3,000+ 

91FA4F34-6E94-4983-81C3-887E0C046C13.jpeg

I think @ian the worm was having me on. He sounded so confident!

1 hour ago, mike46 said:

There’s every chance I’m thinking of a different venue so don’t hold me to it 😆 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

He said very different on sat vm … but I can’t remember what though 

There was more to the Rabbit Hole than I realised when @ian the worm explained. The frontage bar area was the smallest of the 'rooms/areas' in there.