Metal/heavy music at Glastonbury

FloorFiller

Regularly getting drunk and flooding a forum with music videos with an insane relentlessness that is completely disproportionate to the amount of interest those videos generate says a lot about someone.  Even back in the early days of social media, people instinctively understood that spamming forums was selfish - a forum can absorb one or two people doing it, but it would only take a handful to make the forum completely unreadable.

Coming into a discussion about a music genre to explain to people that the music they like is 'shite' is exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from that type of personality.  Given, the 'me me me' nature of their posts, the most effective response is downvote, ignore, move on.  Don't engage.

[Not a metal fan, but know better than to try to convince someone else that the category of music/art/comedy/whatever that they enjoy is objectively bad.]

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bamber said:

With a more sober head on, What I'm trying to say is that Metal and to a lesser extent Punk, are musical Cul-de-sacs.

Other music moves on, metal and Punk don't evolve.

Prove me wrong, I'd enjoy that.

I was in-to Metal in my teens.

I saw this band play live.

Not so into Metal after this.

Samson were/are dicks.

( WARNING - THIS IS BAD, REALLY BAD )

All metal sounds like this to me now.

By contrast Funk No.1 - TOKYO GROOVE JYOSHI ..

are really moving on.

Go and listen to Cult of Luna for example and tell me metal hasn't moved on. There you go I've proven you wrong.

The bands you're listing as metal have more in common with glam rock than they do metal today, that's not to say they're bad either, but things have moved on.

Edit; just to add as well people who contributed decent glasto advice on this forum have been identified as spamming (rightly or wrongly not getting into that) and banned for a lot less than posting random videos all the time.

Edited by FrancisH
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, henry bear said:

Cal Gon’s ok when you get used to him

It's Bamber I want to ignore, why post on a thread of a genre you dislike and slag it off ? It was rock/metal that got me into music in the 80's, now I like all sorts but don't have a go at other people about their preferences

But seeing exclusive shit houses thread pop up is a waste of time 

My favourite music is Rock / Metal and my favourite bands include Rage, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails etc. I love the diversity of Glastonbury. I don't want loads of bands I can see at Leeds / Slam Dunk etc playing at this festival. 

However, I have been attending the festival since 2010 and i would love to see a tent that caters for this type of music. DJs or even a silent disco for rock and Metal fans after midnight.  

I cannot wait to see Turnstile in the John Peel, one of the most improved bands i have seen in the past few years (and they were great when i saw them in 2020) 

14 minutes ago, mph said:

It's Bamber I want to ignore, why post on a thread of a genre you dislike and slag it off ? It was rock/metal that got me into music in the 80's, now I like all sorts but don't have a go at other people about their preferences

But seeing exclusive shit houses thread pop up is a waste of time 

I was pulling yer leg. I don't know why he gets so aggressive sometimes regarding music he doesn't like. You ought to post (female fronted) metal on his 'elusive chanteuses' thread.  

There definitely are a few genres that are almost non-existant. Metal, but also not much alternative rock/ heavy rock such as Alice in Chains etc.

It's possible it's just not viable budget wise. I.e metal acts at Glastonbury are only getting a small crowd/ venue compared to somewhere like Download so perhaps not worth the cost. 

Same with classical in a way. Is it worth spending loads on big names in the classical genre only for them to be put on a smallish stage/ get a small crowd. 

11 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

There definitely are a few genres that are almost non-existant. Metal, but also not much alternative rock/ heavy rock such as Alice in Chains etc.

It's possible it's just not viable budget wise. I.e metal acts at Glastonbury are only getting a small crowd/ venue compared to somewhere like Download so perhaps not worth the cost. 

Same with classical in a way. Is it worth spending loads on big names in the classical genre only for them to be put on a smallish stage/ get a small crowd. 

Surely it'd be more viable that another EDM act!

16 hours ago, henry bear said:

I was pulling yer leg. I don't know why he gets so aggressive sometimes regarding music he doesn't like. You ought to post (female fronted) metal on his 'elusive chanteuses' thread.  

*she

18 hours ago, Landbeforeslime said:

Surely it'd be more viable that another EDM act!

Ha! Yes I do agree but another EDM DJ (assuming not massive name) is much cheaper than a biggish metal act. Also they can play 2/3 times around festival. Also they prob only need 1/ 2 free tickets at most. A shame but true. 

Edited by danbailey80

25 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Ha! Yes I do agree but another EDM DJ (assuming not massive name) is much cheaper than a biggish metal act. Also they can play 2/3 times around festival. Also they prob only need 1/ 2 free tickets at most. 

Glasto pays shit anyway and bands just want to play it so they can say have played it.

Someone fun live like Skindred, Don Broco, Frank Carter etc or one of the more arty metal acts like like Zeal & Ardor, Rolo Tomassi, Sikth etc would do well in that kinda slot.

Edited by jump

I'm not into metal/rock generally, but there are still acts that could be classified as metal that I like a lot.  Given that my taste is for something that I've not heard before, that indicates that there is development in those musical fields.  Stuff like Nova Twins, Ghost, Creeper, or The Blinders.  And anyone who says that Babymetal are just retreading old ground needs to have their ears syringed.

1 hour ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Turnstile on the JP poster today must be a good indication that they'll be there? Fingers crossed!

Yeah I’m optimistic that they’ll be there. Seems the cancelled shows are more to streamline the tour rather than because they’re gonna cancel a bunch more. Can’t wait!

I do love people that try and diss rock and metal and talk about how their dying genres etc(yeah been hearing that for about 30 years now haha)......without realising that half the acts they use to claim as `past it` many fans dont listen to anyway......as with any niche genre the real good stuff is on the underground.....or touring the fuck out of their material to busy trying to play to as many of their fans as they can to write `singles` and worry about the charts.

Just got tickets to see machine head and amon amarth in sept in man, cant wait! As for rock and metal at glasto? i give and take, its awesome when it comes up but im not going to expect it to cover the bill, this aint download or bloodstock. but I dont go here `purly` for the music.....if I did, as a rock and metal fan id go to one of the festivals dedicated to that. 

Also glasto has opened my eyes to a lot of stuff away from rock and metal I may not have even given a chance to before, such is the beauty of this fest with the variety it brings. 

Edited by waterfalls21234

9 hours ago, jump said:

Glasto pays shit anyway and bands just want to play it so they can say have played it.

Someone fun live like Skindred, Don Broco, Frank Carter etc or one of the more arty metal acts like like Zeal & Ardor, Rolo Tomassi, Sikth etc would do well in that kinda slot.

frank and the rattlesnakes were here in 2017, awesome set....i remember the dudes who randomly had a blow up dingey as well and were trying to crowd surf in it. amazing energy

Oh and id bloody love Sikth! was stoked when they got back together as a fan who saw them live when they first came about with that first ep back in the day... that was like a dynamite shot of craziness in the arm.....such the....FOOL! 😛

Edited by waterfalls21234