Metal/heavy music at Glastonbury

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

You are wrong. But why should we make the effort to prove it to you? All metal fans know how rich and interesting the scene is and if you don’t want to listen to it, fine. You clearly have an axe to grind, and are coming at this with negativity, so why should we waste our energy.

You’ll be happier listening to Jessie J, so just go ahead and do that and enjoy yourself.

So true. I'm not here to pick fights.

All music joy is subjective.

Glastonbury has it all.

That’s one of the things we’re moaning about in here though, Glastonbury doesn’t have it all this year - the scum stage has disappeared and accordingly there’s barely anything metal to enjoy on the lineup! 
ill still watch the things I like, but there’s not really any artist I’d be desperate to see anywhere on any stage, pretty much. Not necessarily bad news, I’ll get stuck into hundreds of other cool things to do in t+c etc etc . . . 

Idk what that samson song is but it's bad

Metal for me is the most varying genre and is why I spend most of my time listening to it 

I am disappointed we didn't get the 19 treatment but for me one of the appeals of glasto is seeing stuff I wouldn't usually. I've been going to metal gigs for years and in that time have ticked off a huge majority of the bands that could've been booked

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

That’s one of the things we’re moaning about in here though, Glastonbury doesn’t have it all this year - the scum stage has disappeared and accordingly there’s barely anything metal to enjoy on the lineup! 
ill still watch the things I like, but there’s not really any artist I’d be desperate to see anywhere on any stage, pretty much. Not necessarily bad news, I’ll get stuck into hundreds of other cool things to do in t+c etc etc . . . 

Like I said, I was in-to Metal in my tenes.

I 'grew' out of it though

'Bring your daughter to the slaughter' Iron Maiden and tunes like 'I wish I was the saddle of a schoolgirls bike' by Samson put me off TBH

You get that yes?

Edited by bamber

3 minutes ago, bamber said:

Like I said, I was in-to Metal in my tenes.

'Bring your daughter to the slaughter' Iron Maiden and tunes like 'I wish I was the saddle of a schoolgirls bike' by Samson put me off TBH

You get that yes?

Seems like Bruce Dickinson is the common denominator in crap metal!

6 minutes ago, bamber said:

Like I said, I was in-to Metal in my tens.

You get that yes?

😂 I’ve never listened to Samson, and I’m no iron maiden fan, but eveni an absolute die-hard Maidenite would tell you Bring your daughter to the slaughter is a proper clunker.
Lots of people talk about ‘growing out’ of metal, that’s up to them, I bloody love it and have done since I was a young lad: from Dio to Cattle Decapitation, via Rammstein and Venom Prison, and a million places in between. There’s hundreds of different areas of metal, it’s not all studded wristbands and dragons. There’s plenty of room for everyone to love whatever music they want. I’d rather not slag off other genres or artists - even the completely irredeemable ones (ginger singer-songwriters, etc etc) cos people love em, and seeing people enjoy what they love live is beautiful stuff 

Edited by balti-pie
Got my samsons and my Saxons mixed up!
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

😂 I’ve never listened to Samson, and I’m no iron maiden fan, but eveni an absolute die-hard Maidenite would tell you Bring your daughter to the slaughter is a proper clunker.
Lots of people talk about ‘growing out’ of metal, that’s up to them, I bloody love it and have done since I was a young lad: from Dio to Cattle Decapitation, via Rammstein and Venom Prison, and a million places in between. There’s hundreds of different areas of metal, it’s not all studded wristbands and dragons. There’s plenty of room for everyone to love whatever music they want. I’d rather not slag off other genres or artists - even the completely irredeemable ones (ginger singer-songwriters, etc etc) cos people love em, and seeing people enjoy what they love live is beautiful stuff 

I'm hot here to hate, There is too much of that already.

Metal is not for me but freedom to choose is implicit. I enjoyed that Samson gig I went to at age 16.

It is not about agreeing on beauty, just acknowledging beauty exists.

B. X.

I'm hot here to hate, There is too much of that already.

Metal is not for me but freedom to choose is implicit. I enjoyed that Samson gig I went to at age 16.

It is not about agreeing on beauty, just acknowledging beauty exists.

B. X.

“Punk and metal are pure shite” 

your words, right there 👍 

by all means think it, I’m really not fussed, I’m just a knobhead on the internet as are you! but I don’t dive into the Harry Styles/whoever pages to point out I think his music’s really boring and ploddy and utterly without interest. Metal fans tend to be completely aware that our taste in music is a bit niche and not for everyone, and that’s fine. It’s not all ‘now that’s what I call music’ compilations for everyone! 

I had another tattoo done yesterday and we listened to metal all afternoon. There were 5 of us in the studio and we talked for ages on the amazing amount of variation and innovation across the genre. Obviously, we were all fans of metal so at risk of bias, but in my view it is such a misunderstood genre, lots of people dismiss it without ever giving it a proper go.

Metal is massively underrepresented generally, with only really Mary Ann-Hobs on 6 giving it a regular prime-time airing on a main stream station (to my knowledge!). It’s disappointing that Glastonbury only treat it as a once in a while curiosity. If there is space for Jazz, Folk, Country, Spoken Word and what seems like a million sub-genres of dance music, then there should always be space for metal.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

“Punk and metal are pure shite” 

your words, right there 👍 

by all means think it, I’m really not fussed, I’m just a knobhead on the internet as are you! but I don’t dive into the Harry Styles/whoever pages to point out I think his music’s really boring and ploddy and utterly without interest. Metal fans tend to be completely aware that our taste in music is a bit niche and not for everyone, and that’s fine. It’s not all ‘now that’s what I call music’ compilations for everyone! 

I love Prog, if that is any consolation?

Sorry to interject in this thread, I should not have done that. Peace and Love.

Sorry to interject in this thread, I should not have done that. Peace and Love.

Rush 🥰 I bloody love Rush, and I love a bit of King Crimson too. There’s always common ground somewhere! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Rush 🥰 I bloody love Rush, and I love a bit of King Crimson too. There’s always common ground somewhere! 

I own most of the Rush albums on vinyl.

(True)

Alex Lifeson on Trailer Park Boys is my favourite celebrity appearance ever.

Rush are class,

16 minutes ago, jump said:

So someone stopped listening to punk/metal in the 80s and they are complaining it's all shite that will never evolve but they have only listened to the same 80s stuff they complain about. lol

I never claimed to have never listened to Metal beyond the 80s. I have.

It is a dead end.

It is also just my opinion.

I never claimed to have never listened to Metal beyond the 80s. I have.

It is a dead end.

It is also just my opinion.

Yes you have an opinion but that doesn't stop it being four decades out of date and ignorant as fuck though. Like 80s punk and metal wasn't passable as contemporary in the 90s let alone today. lol

35 minutes ago, bamber said:

If you like prog there's plenty of heavy prog bands who are still relevant. Tool being the most obvious, their latest album from 2019 is one of their best. Karnivool are also well worth a listen, as are Sumer who are from the UK and amazing live. 

Tool aren't metal. Metal has to be from the 80s like Samson the only metal band ever worth seeing as they don't evolve unlike Jessie J who is like a Pokemon and will evolve into Mege Jessie J once she hits level 42.

Also I know everything about punk and metal so there is no needs to tell me, like I know Dammed are a band that once had a drummer called Rat Scabies decades ago, need I say more to prove my credentials? Mic drop

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jump said:

Tool aren't metal. Metal has to be from the 80s like Samson the only metal band ever worth seeing as they don't evolve unlike Jessie J who is like a Pokemon and will evolve into Mege Jessie J once she hits level 42.

Also I know everything about punk and metal so there is no needs to tell me, like I know Dammed are a band that once had a drummer called Rat Scabies decades ago, need I say more to prove my credentials? Mic drop

If Jessie J ever hits Level 42, then we've got problems.

16 minutes ago, jump said:

😚

Tool are metal.

Kiss are Metal

All dead ends.

Kiss