Metal/heavy music at Glastonbury

FloorFiller

No Scum stage/Earache express on the full stage announcement ☹️ im legit gutted - all of the dance stuff you could possibly shake a stick at, stage upon stage, but nothing for those of us who like things a wee bit heavier . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

No Scum stage/Earache express on the full stage announcement ☹️ im legit gutted - all of the dance stuff you could possibly shake a stick at, stage upon stage, but nothing for those of us who like things a wee bit heavier . . . . 

My first Glastonbury, gutted they've got rid of this, shame to just abandon a whole genre like that.

31 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I found wargasm on the Truth Stage, but that may be it.

yep, earache get a mention next to wargasm, bob vylan, and nova twins - i presume they helped with the bookings? - but its a fair step down from putting on a stage for four nights, sixteen bands . . . 

Was looking forward to another Gojira type addition like last year. But yet to see any. Mayer my lack of knowledge is not helping. So if anyone sees any decent metal type bands on the line up, please let me know.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:58 PM, FloorFiller said:

Yeah Outbreak is a good reference point actually - tons of heavy shit over here that same weekend so hopefully we can get a couple of them at the festival. 

It totally is! I'm debating sacking Glasto off and going to Outbreak as the line up there is unreal and Glasto isn't doing it for me! 

18 hours ago, Lushroom said:

My first Glastonbury, gutted they've got rid of this, shame to just abandon a whole genre like that.

Yeah, with all the genres at Glastonbury, it’s strange how metal/hard rock seems to be missing.

Wouldn’t be as bad if the Earache/Scum stage was just one or two days alternating with the Truth stage like they do with The Pit/Lock up/ FR stages at Reading.

18 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Even if you ignore the lack of metal, I’ve always found it strange that Glastonbury seem to think that everyone turns into massive Dance music fans once the clock strikes midnight.

1 minute ago, rivalschools.price said:

Even if you ignore the lack of metal, I’ve always found it strange that Glastonbury seem to think that everyone turns into massive Dance music fans once the clock strikes midnight.

That’s what was so good about earache express and then the scum stage. Take in the headliners and then head out and listen to to something heavy. It was such a great point of difference to every other late night dance venue. Real shame. 

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah it does seem pretty oversaturated. Any recommendations for nonEDM late night alternatives?

1 hour ago, Lushroom said:

Yeah it does seem pretty oversaturated. Any recommendations for nonEDM late night alternatives?

I'm gonna nose around the greenfields and see what i can find there - i suspect itll be a bit folky etc but as everyone in here says, any kind of alternative is welcome!

I dont mind a bit of drum n bass and jungle, its not too dissimilar to some areas of metal, but as i dont take drugs i'll be a little out of place . . . Earache are still having a stage at Boomtown and Kendal Calling, so i've decent hopes they'll return to glastonbury perhaps when the budgets can allow. It got a fair bit of press and attention the last couple of festivals, so i'd have thought its a no-brainer, but i am a bit biased

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I'm gonna nose around the greenfields and see what i can find there - i suspect itll be a bit folky etc but as everyone in here says, any kind of alternative is welcome!

I dont mind a bit of drum n bass and jungle, its not too dissimilar to some areas of metal, but as i dont take drugs i'll be a little out of place . . . Earache are still having a stage at Boomtown and Kendal Calling, so i've decent hopes they'll return to glastonbury perhaps when the budgets can allow. It got a fair bit of press and attention the last couple of festivals, so i'd have thought its a no-brainer, but i am a bit biased

Love a bit of folk metal so I'll just add some heaviness in my head haha.

Yeah a lot of crossover with some strains of EDM and metal sounds, I'm sure we'll both find stuff we like 🙂

On 5/30/2022 at 2:33 PM, Lesley2337 said:

As a metal fan myself, I'm a bit gutted there is a clear gap there. 

I'm not specifically going for the metal music, and do love the festival as a whole. But there does seem a huge gap. 

Bit of a shame

Its a massive shame. Seems Glastonbury cater for almost every contemporary musical taste but metal!

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Turnstile have pulled out of Hellfest which is the same weekend as Glastonbury. Not sure if they’ve done that to make their schedule a little less hectic or if they’re gonna bail on more dates. All eyes on Outbreak which is also that same weekend. 

They pulled out of Primavera this weekend too 😵 Not sure what's going on but I'm so looking forward to seeing them again! One of my fave live bands!

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Turnstile have pulled out of Hellfest which is the same weekend as Glastonbury. Not sure if they’ve done that to make their schedule a little less hectic or if they’re gonna bail on more dates. All eyes on Outbreak which is also that same weekend. 

Ah no, they were absolutely top of my list at Glastonbury by some distance.