Metal/heavy music at Glastonbury

FloorFiller

The last two festivals included a couple of stages that hosted heavier music than would normally be seen at Glastonbury and we had the likes of Napalm Death, Gojira and Venom Prison giving people sore necks across the weekend on the likes of the Truth Stage. Assuming they continue this tradition this year, who do you think could be likely?

Gojira was a pretty sizeable booking so if they’re planning on booking acts of their size, I see Mastodon are touring Europe around that time and have the Friday and Saturday free. Not sure how likely they actually are as it would require them to fly over from mainland Europe and then back again, but the first name that popped in to my head when thinking of similar sized acts to Gojira.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

The last two festivals included a couple of stages that hosted heavier music than would normally be seen at Glastonbury and we had the likes of Napalm Death, Gojira and Venom Prison giving people sore necks across the weekend on the likes of the Truth Stage. Assuming they continue this tradition this year, who do you think could be likely?

Gojira was a pretty sizeable booking so if they’re planning on booking acts of their size, I see Mastodon are touring Europe around that time and have the Friday and Saturday free. Not sure how likely they actually are as it would require them to fly over from mainland Europe and then back again, but the first name that popped in to my head when thinking of similar sized acts to Gojira.

Turnstile could do double duty like Idles did in 2019 and play one of the main stages and then a late Truth stage slot. 

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

Just out of interest, what were the crowds like at the heavier acts in the last couple of years? I'd suspect they would be pretty large?

Gojira were on at headliner time so the crowd was decent but nothing mental, and probably a lot smaller than they’re used to these days.

1 minute ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Show Me the Body are doing Outbreak that weekend. Get them booked. And Deafheaven, too.

Yeah Outbreak is a good reference point actually - tons of heavy shit over here that same weekend so hopefully we can get a couple of them at the festival. 

• Upvote 1

I really hope the Scum stage is back this year. Venom Prison have come on leaps and bounds since their appearance in support Gojira would love to see them back. Svalbard would be a good shout this year, or While She Sleeps. Would love to see Cattle Decapitation who fit the eco-vibe of the Festival but probably are not widely known outside underground death metal circles.

I too hope Turnstile are doing an IDLES, a late night Truth stage performance for them would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Gojira were on at headliner time so the crowd was decent but nothing mental, and probably a lot smaller than they’re used to these days.

I got over to the SEC early that night, expecting it to be packed out. In all honesty, the crowd was relatively sparse. But the band put in no less effort and it was loud as fuck. Venom Prison beforehand were fantastic, too.

I'm trying to think of bands that might have some kind of crossover appeal. I'd like to see the likes of Skindred, Rolo Tomassi, Architects, Kvelertak, Green Lung, Thou, Pigsx7, Marmozets

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I got over to the SEC early that night, expecting it to be packed out. In all honesty, the crowd was relatively sparse. But the band put in no less effort and it was loud as fuck. Venom Prison beforehand were fantastic, too.

I'm trying to think of bands that might have some kind of crossover appeal. I'd like to see the likes of Skindred, Rolo Tomassi, Architects, Kvelertak, Green Lung, Thou, Pigsx7, Marmozets

That is a good list and Skindred would go down a storm! Just awesome in a festival setting. I missed Green Lung at Bloodstock so would love to see them. Architects definitely fit in also.