Old Maps

stuartbert two hats

57 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

So officially the 25th Anniversary year festi - first t-shirt I have from Glasto as well the 95 one - would love a 94 from the 1st year I went as well - maybe will find one someday..

My first was 94 as well 😃

looking at your signature, that is every Glasto you've been to.
Is that every Glasto since then, barring the Glasto farrow years?
I have never really counted how many I have been to.

I had to miss 2004, me son was born on the Glasto weekend.

This year will be his first year, what a place to celebrate you're 18th 🥳

11 hours ago, Staberinde said:

That makes me feel old, 2004 was my first one!

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

You've spread your net very far and wide

I started late in life but lockdown as shown me that of all my passions, festival times are definitely the thing I missed the most. We don't have any great (good ones, but not great ones) festivals in the North, so you have to travel. 

I wish I had attended at least one of the Glastonbury's before the huge fence went up. I'd have liked to have a frame of reference. I've not met many people who have over double the number of Glastonbury's under there belt, do you have a favourite year?

Mrs Boomtowner went in 1994 with one of her mates, whilst I stayed at home with the little one. At that time I had no interest in attending. I realised in 2002 what a dreadful mistake I'd made.

8 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

I started late in life but lockdown as shown me that of all my passions, festival times are definitely the thing I missed the most. We don't have any great (good ones, but not great ones) festivals in the North, so you have to travel. 

I wish I had attended at least one of the Glastonbury's before the huge fence went up. I'd have liked to have a frame of reference. I've not met many people who have over double the number of Glastonbury's under there belt, do you have a favourite year?

Mrs Boomtowner went in 1994 with one of her mates, whilst I stayed at home with the little one. At that time I had no interest in attending. I realised in 2002 what a dreadful mistake I'd made.

That's a fair point, nothing like sitting at home for 1-2 years to help you identify the things you genuinely enjoy.

To be honest where people here love a Mrs Merton style heated debate about favourite sets or years, I'm not so good at that not least because some of those years were very blurry. 

As you'll have doubtless seen in other posts here, it was certainly very different at some points:-

Travellers and geezers with motorbikes, having folks who would section off their camping area (maybe somewhere near Kidney Mead or even nearer to Pyramid) by parking their bike their and tying some string around the handlebars.

Folks up where maybe Rowmead is who would have their big frame tents and would set up to sell their gear for the weekend, which a geezer out the front with a cardboard sign advertising it and shouting the wares.  As there were no coppers on site and they only had to contend with security it wasn't an issue for them.

Sometimes on that up the hill from Pyramid you'd maybe see a teenager riding a trail bike with a young lass on the back (no helmets obviously), not when the path was rammed, but certainly when you'd be thinking "It's a bit busy for you to be coming past on that".

Occasionally  crowds in certain places at peak times seemed pretty dangerous - anybody who talks about busy years since the fence hasn't experienced some of those years before it where you really felt that it couldn't carry on like that without something terrible happening.

Camping next to your car.  You'd just drive the car as far in as you could get/wanted to, then stop and get the tent out of the boot.  No great separation between tents and vehicles or vehicles and the occasional bonfire.

In 1998 we were celebrating my birthday in what I think is now Webbs Ash.  We'd all got quite drunk  and I'd taken along a bag with quite a few quids worth of fireworks.  So another friend and I (who was celebrating his) stood there drunkenly lighting rockets and the like maybe in the area we kept clear for the fire we had over the festival.  Not next to tents but certainly not in a massive clearing.  Seems mental tbh.  Part way through notice the fluorescent jackets of security - go up to them with a big sheepish smile on my face, saying sorry about that we just brought these to celebrate my birthday and expecting them to tell me off and confiscate them.  Security say "Hey we just wanted to say they're blooming brilliant.  Just take care eh?"   Friend carries on holding me up whilst we light the last few 🙂 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boomtowner said:

My eternal regret as well.

Friends of mine from College started going in 1997.... in 1998 a few more went and then in 1999 and 2000 people from my immediate circle of friends went.  Kept coming back saying how great it was.....finally after Reading 2003 I said I would go and haven't looked back since but I do massively regret not going once before the big fence went up as those who went both sides of it always say that I would have really enjoyed the wild-pre super fence era.

1999 in particular as that was the year a lot of my friends went....2000 they all piled down last minute when they realised they could get in for free and one car load went as late as the Sunday morning specifically to see David Bowie, and idiot here decided to earn double money at the supermarket instead serving grannies.

sigh.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

That's a fair point, nothing like sitting at home for 1-2 years to help you identify the things you genuinely enjoy.

To be honest where people here love a Mrs Merton style heated debate about favourite sets or years, I'm not so good at that not least because some of those years were very blurry. 

As you'll have doubtless seen in other posts here, it was certainly very different at some points:-

Travellers and geezers with motorbikes, having folks who would section off their camping area (maybe somewhere near Kidney Mead or even nearer to Pyramid) by parking their bike their and tying some string around the handlebars.

Folks up where maybe Rowmead is who would have their big frame tents and would set up to sell their gear for the weekend, which a geezer out the front with a cardboard sign advertising it and shouting the wares.  As there were no coppers on site and they only had to contend with security it wasn't an issue for them.

Sometimes on that up the hill from Pyramid you'd maybe see a teenager riding a trail bike with a young lass on the back (no helmets obviously), not when the path was rammed, but certainly when you'd be thinking "It's a bit busy for you to be coming past on that".

The mate I went with for the first two years was an old hand at Glastonbury, and I remember his disbelief when he saw the size of the fence. There were hundreds of people loitering outside wanting to buy tickets.

On our first walk around the site, he'd regale me with stories of what had previously been on the different crossroads. 

One of my endearing memories of that first festival was the sight of so many campfires springing up on the hillside behind the Stone Circle on that first night. All those people who'd travelled down expecting to get in for free and were rebuffed. There were dozens upon dozens.

7 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

The mate I went with for the first two years was an old hand at Glastonbury, and I remember his disbelief when he saw the size of the fence. There were hundreds of people loitering outside wanting to buy tickets.

On our first walk around the site, he'd regale me with stories of what had previously been on the different crossroads. 

One of my endearing memories of that first festival was the sight of so many campfires springing up on the hillside behind the Stone Circle on that first night. All those people who'd travelled down expecting to get in for free and were rebuffed. There were dozens upon dozens.

Aye, I know there are always some oldies who'll say they don't like it as it's not the same or whatever, but without change it would have ended many years ago and since then it's brought pleasure to millions and donated a fortune to good causes.

In reference to the fence I stumbled across this recently...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-53151990

55 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Aye, I know there are always some oldies who'll say they don't like it as it's not the same or whatever, but without change it would have ended many years ago and since then it's brought pleasure to millions and donated a fortune to good causes.

Enjoyed the article.

That's always been my impression, my mate said it was carnage in the last few years before the fence, with some really scary  crush situations.

15 hours ago, clarkete said:

There's a few of my mates who still go now who went in the late 90s and in 2000 (when I stupidly declined their offer to go with them)

They have said for all the hedonism etc etc it was getting way out of control and each year was just getting steadily worse to the point that it was either put up the big fence we have now or have no festival at all.

I would have loved to have experienced one of them, but it is what it is and the festival has taken a new direction which is enjoyed by lots of people and you turn up feeling like you're at a safe event now rather than worried you might get mugged or have your tent robbed.

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Cheesey we camped in the centre of the festival site - see arrow - in 2004. It was hellish, seemed such a good idea at the time to be close by and experience all the festival, but we had the Glade within 100m, and the BBC stage just to the North with a continuous thumping disco beat till late. Only year I contemplated leaving early.

G2004.jpg

On 3/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, Staberinde said:

Aye - haven't missed one since first going in 1994. Have been very lucky... so far!