Tony Benn / Left Field Tower tattoo attempt

mazola

On 4/22/2022 at 10:48 PM, mazola said:

Out of upvotes, but thanks!

I've got all 12 figures now, so at least I know what I'm working with. Now just got to work on getting nice clean images of each member. Although to be fair I haven't measured my arm yet to see what we are dealing with, not everyone might be able to make the cut!

Capture.JPG.eeb3d0ae34024dea323ff0848386b857.JPG

If you get a decent enough tattooist they should be able to draw this out for you. Alternatively you could print and trace it? 

5 minutes ago, prog seller said:

If you get a decent enough tattooist they should be able to draw this out for you. Alternatively you could print and trace it? 

That's the plan, I just want to be able to give the tattooist the best source material to go on. Ideally I'd like to have it all plotted out with clear images of each person.

I'm not sure how it all works with getting a tattooist to interpret a design, if I get them to produce something that turns out not what I'm hoping for I assume that will still cost me quite a few quid, so I want to make sure it's as clear as it can be before I make a request.

19 minutes ago, mazola said:

Nice one, saw this one earlier. It's a better picture of the dude in the apron. Not sure what he's got on his head though, thought it was a cloth cap from the pictures I'd seen, but this looks like some kind of jesters hat

Now I can see it's a welders mask on his head, makes sense with the big gloves

41 minutes ago, mazola said:

That's the plan, I just want to be able to give the tattooist the best source material to go on. Ideally I'd like to have it all plotted out with clear images of each person.

I'm not sure how it all works with getting a tattooist to interpret a design, if I get them to produce something that turns out not what I'm hoping for I assume that will still cost me quite a few quid, so I want to make sure it's as clear as it can be before I make a request.

Depends on the tattooist, I’ve got a full sleeve and my tattooist charges £100 per hour, but she only charges for when she’s tattooing, so not for the designing and lining up part. I’ve stood there for 2 hours before while she’s redone the transfer over and over, because she wasn’t happy with how it all lined up but not charged me for that time. Whenever I’ve come in for each visit she’s had each design ready to go but again not charged for that bit.

18 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Depends on the tattooist, I’ve got a full sleeve and my tattooist charges £100 per hour, but she only charges for when she’s tattooing, so not for the designing and lining up part. I’ve stood there for 2 hours before while she’s redone the transfer over and over, because she wasn’t happy with how it all lined up but not charged me for that time. Whenever I’ve come in for each visit she’s had each design ready to go but again not charged for that bit.

I think if I want any chance of this being done in time for the festival I'm going to have to just go with what I have got. Do you think this will be enough to go on? I'm going to have to drop the two figures I don't have decent pictures of, however that might be for the best as probably twelve is too many,image.thumb.jpeg.9482e12a656230063259d2b182ffa87f.jpeg

3 minutes ago, tarw said:

I think that will look fantastic!

I would go for it if you have a tattooist that you trust to do a good job with it. 

I haven't got a clue, but my daughter has had a few lately so will get a recommendation from her.

Wish me luck, I'll start the ball rolling tonight

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mazola said:

I think if I want any chance of this being done in time for the festival I'm going to have to just go with what I have got. Do you think this will be enough to go on? I'm going to have to drop the two figures I don't have decent pictures of, however that might be for the best as probably twelve is too many,image.thumb.jpeg.9482e12a656230063259d2b182ffa87f.jpeg

That will be more than enough to go on, the only issue you might have is that most semi decent tattoo artists are booked up months in advance, but that said it’s not like it’s a portrait that is ultra detailed, that should be relatively simple for the majority of tattoo artists. You just need to find one who will draw it up for you and spend time getting the sizing right. 

• Upvote 1

image.thumb.jpeg.facb9e4d45f760f8e8d09dcbe8449d8a.jpeg

This is my final version, had to cut the two figures that I just couldn't source a good picture on.

Took it in to a tattoo artist today, and it didn't go very well. She spent 10 minutes criticizing the actual design (things like Michael would be about 2 foot taller than the maid next to him if he stood up, and guy in the wheelchair's nose was too flat, things like that). I tried explaining that that is what it is so don't want to tamper too much, but she said every tattoo she does is a reflection on her as a tattoo artist, so she wouldn't do a tattoo that looks wrong to her artistic eye.

She wasn't too keen on doing it at all, said it would be virtually impossible to do on an arm, but might be possible on my calf as it is rounder and larger, which does make sense to be honest.

She also said it wouldn't work as a silhouette like I want, she would do it as just a black ink outline of the figures. That is more of a stumbling block for me to be honest, I think it needs to be silhouette.

I don't know what to do now, starting to think the dream may be over.

I think I will pop round a few more getting a second or third opinion, but it seems very unlikely that even if I get someone to do it it will be before Glastonbury (really I would need it in the next couple of weeks to give it time to heal, don't want it still raw when I'm there)

Think I might be better waiting and getting some really good photos of it when I'm there and starting again.

Sounds like you need to find a better tattoo artist!!

What if Michael is actually two foot taller than the maid and the guy in the wheelchair actually has a flat nose!?!

I would be inclined to get some quality photos and then find an artist who’s more bothered about what you want than their artistic perception of what is good. 

16 minutes ago, mazola said:

image.thumb.jpeg.facb9e4d45f760f8e8d09dcbe8449d8a.jpeg

This is my final version, had to cut the two figures that I just couldn't source a good picture on.

Took it in to a tattoo artist today, and it didn't go very well. She spent 10 minutes criticizing the actual design (things like Michael would be about 2 foot taller than the maid next to him if he stood up, and guy in the wheelchair's nose was too flat, things like that). I tried explaining that that is what it is so don't want to tamper too much, but she said every tattoo she does is a reflection on her as a tattoo artist, so she wouldn't do a tattoo that looks wrong to her artistic eye.

She wasn't too keen on doing it at all, said it would be virtually impossible to do on an arm, but might be possible on my calf as it is rounder and larger, which does make sense to be honest.

She also said it wouldn't work as a silhouette like I want, she would do it as just a black ink outline of the figures. That is more of a stumbling block for me to be honest, I think it needs to be silhouette.

I don't know what to do now, starting to think the dream may be over.

I think I will pop round a few more getting a second or third opinion, but it seems very unlikely that even if I get someone to do it it will be before Glastonbury (really I would need it in the next couple of weeks to give it time to heal, don't want it still raw when I'm there)

Think I might be better waiting and getting some really good photos of it when I'm there and starting again.

Hahaha what a dick!

50 minutes ago, mazola said:

This seems like a sound approach.

If Tor View Lookout is there this year (at the top of the Theatre & Circus Fields), you should be able to get a clear shot at approximately the same elevation. Could get a complete rotation from the top very easily with no chance of anyone walking in front of you.

47 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

Sounds like you need to find a better tattoo artist!!

What if Michael is actually two foot taller than the maid and the guy in the wheelchair actually has a flat nose!?!

I would be inclined to get some quality photos and then find an artist who’s more bothered about what you want than their artistic perception of what is good. 

To be fair, she did spend a fair bit of time going through it all and giving me the reasons why she didn't think it would work, and some of what she was saying did make sense, but it seemed 90% of her objections were artistic ones rather than technical ones.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

This seems like a sound approach.

If Tor View Lookout is there this year (at the top of the Theatre & Circus Fields), you should be able to get a clear shot at approximately the same elevation. Could get a complete rotation from the top very easily with no chance of anyone walking in front of you.

Good thinking, I'll have to look out for that. If it's the one I'm thinking of it might be a bit too far away though, isn't it near gate C?

Just now, mazola said:

Good thinking, I'll have to look out for that. If it's the one I'm thinking of it might be a bit too far away though, isn't it near gate C?

Yep - should have mentioned that you'll need a decent zoom on your camera, but should be doable.

25 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Honestly, get a better tattoo artist and go to a few more! 

Agreed. Tattoo artists are artists and can vary on skill. Have a look at the styles of the works they produce too. Some work in specific areas, such as old style, line, dot work, B&W drawing. There will be someone who can do it. Check instagram for local artists that draw how you like. Its a permanent thing, and sounds important to you, so don't rush the process. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

where are you based ? maybe someone might know someone localish to you ? 

East London/Essex. To be honest there's probably about 5 of them within a mile of my house. I might visit a few more tomorrow, but think any decent tattoo artist will probably be booked up for a few weeks at least which will leave it too near the festival to get it done.

6 minutes ago, mazola said:

East London/Essex. To be honest there's probably about 5 of them within a mile of my house. I might visit a few more tomorrow, but think any decent tattoo artist will probably be booked up for a few weeks at least which will leave it too near the festival to get it done.

Completely understand the want to get it done before June, but it's definitely worth taking your time to find the right artist and making sure you're fully happy before you get it done.

Can always show it off next June 🙂 going to look amazing with the right artist behind it!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, mazola said:

as above best to wait and get it done properly 🙂