Walking time from different landmarks

rockandnoll

Within another thread it turns out the handy walking matrix we have been living off for a while is grossly out of date.

Think it is time to get that updated and I am hoping between us we can get the correct timings together.

Obviously, it would be unwieldily to create this reference point for every stage/bar/landmark, so thought I would narrow it down to some of the more recognised ones. If you think I am missing any let me know and I am happy to add this in.

List of landmarks included so far are:
Pyramid
Avalon
Bandstand
Block9
Cabaret
Cider Bus
CoOp
Glade
John Peel
Kidzfield
Meeting Point
Other
Pangea
Shangri-La
Silver Hayes
Stone Circle
Strummerville
The Park
Theatre & Circus

Now, I am happy to put these together, HOWEVER, I thought I would use the mind hive of this forum. Don't forget this is all based on general walking times, at non peak times, without stopping for the occasional Oggie or beer. So with that, let the arguments begin.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, rockandnoll said:

My only thought on Ped gates is that once you're onsite I'm not sure how much you would use these as reference points. But if people thing they should be in that is cool

possibly useful for people in East camper (and maybe the offsite tipi stuff?), but you'd only need Gate C, which in a push is almost the Acoustic Stage anyway

Best bet is to make a rough one and then get opinions on it and make changes to it i think.

glastonbury on sea maybe and the campervan entrances/shuttle bus station for people leaving the site might be good

Just now, Leyrulion said:

I wonder if you'd need to specify the entrance to some of these, the park is quite big, as is silver Hayes. 

Second thought, would distances actually me more helpful because people walk at different speeds and it varies so much based off the weather and crowds.

Everything previously was based on no mud, average walking speeds, and off peak timings.

I think if we start trying to do distances we are may be getting too in depth.

As for the areas such as Silver Hayes and Shangri-La etc, I think we should maybe go for main bar/stage in that area. 

This isn't supposed to be used as the bible, more an estimate of timings

12 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I wonder if you'd need to specify the entrance to some of these, the park is quite big, as is silver Hayes. 

Second thought, would distances actually me more helpful because people walk at different speeds and it varies so much based off the weather and crowds.

I’d base it to the main stage of each area as that’s were most will want

Right, maybe we start using Pyramid as our centre point,
How long do people think it would take to get from the Pyramid (centre of the field) to the following:

Avalon
Bandstand
Block9
Cabaret
Cider Bus
Cinemaggedon
CoOp
Glade
Glasto on Sea
John Peel
Kidzfield
Meeting Point
Other
Pangea
Ped Gate C
Shangri-La
Silver Hayes
Stone Circle
Strummerville
Park
Theatre & Circus
West Holts
Worthy View

Try to keep the timings to 5 min gaps

From here, we should be able to work out other timings easily based on maps and experience

This is an old chart from a few years back, the main difference then was that arcadia moved, I'm not sure there have been any significant changes that would impact times since then. Did the John Peel move further out a few years ago? A few of the times seem off as well, there's no way that Silver Hayes to Acoustic takes 45 minutes. 

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

5 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

This is an old chart from a few years back, the main difference then was that arcadia moved, I'm not sure there have been any significant changes that would impact times since then. Did the John Peel move further out a few years ago? A few of the times seem off as well, there's no way that Silver Hayes to Acoustic takes 45 minutes. 

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

This was where the whole conversation started in the "site changes" question thread.

There was general consensus that a fair bit of updating would be needed. But there are aspects of it that should be pretty close

You could put the Glastonbury sign on there! 

Agree about putting ped gates on.. Many of the off site campsites proudly advertise "only 15 mins from gate D" only for newbies to find that Gate D is a feckin long way from the Pyramid! 

Presumably if you used that map that overlays onto a real map, and then cross referenced it with the latest map when it comes out, you could actually work out the real distances and then then the time based on average walking speeds? There must be some sort of app that enables you to work out distances by drawing lines in a map? Or maybe not? 

8 hours ago, rockandnoll said:

Don't forget this is all based on general walking times, at non peak times, without stopping for the occasional Oggie or beer

Sorry, I'm of no use here. I don't understand this "without stopping" concept of which you speak.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Presumably if you used that map that overlays onto a real map, and then cross referenced it with the latest map when it comes out, you could actually work out the real distances and then then the time based on average walking speeds? There must be some sort of app that enables you to work out distances by drawing lines in a map? Or maybe not? 

Is there an average walking speed consistent across the site?

For example, even ignoring busier than usual times, walking along the railway track will be fairly quick, walking from the Pyramid to the meeting point will take at least twice as long as covering the same distance along the railway track.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There will definitely be updates once the new map is out.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just a quick Google and something like this app might work:

8B1F724F-5A13-4F81-8A7A-7E22EDC38C62.jpeg

I actually use this for walks at home, problem is that won't take into account layout of festival I would assume. But I suppose we could plot the route we wanted to walk. I will have a play around with this

• Upvote 1

I think that distances are misleading for Glastonbury. The gradient, walking surface and the crowd density have far more impact on time. 

as @incidentsaid if you’re walking along the railway track in a straight line you will probably be going at twice the speed that you would if you were going from pyramid to other zig zagging in and out of people bimbling 

• Like 1