Wednesday vs Thursday Entry

kemosabe

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Friends of mine who used to go in the 90s used to say most people wouldn’t normally turn up until after work on the Friday.

I can recall my first few years the Wednesday was always pretty quiet and until in 2009 they started punting it as a 5 day festival it’s just been completely rammed from Weds lunchtime onwards ever since!

As someoen who used to go in the 90s (I still go, but I used to go in the 90s as well 😄 ) this is my experience too - I used to finish work on Friday, swing by my mates to pick them up in my VW bus as it was my daily driver back then, and we'd be in East something or other by 7PM.

Over the years it moved to Friday lunchtimes, then Friday AM, then Thurs evening, and so on.

Now that East camper is open on Tuesdays, I get there on Tuesday lunchtime 🙂 Obviously no site access on Tuesday, but I generally meet up with friends who also get there early or are stewarding etc and are already on site but can pop out for a beer.

I'd go on Monday if I could.

This will be my 7th Glasto, and only my 2nd arriving on the Weds. Usually get Thurs coach tickets. Our last Weds arrival was 2016 and spent nearly 12hrs on the coach due to the traffic, and finally got on site around 8pm. So hoping for a full Weds experience this time.

Thursday is fine if you're not too fussy about your camping spot. We always go in Bushy anyway, so doesn't really matter which day we arrive. I've always enjoyed arriving when the festival is in full swing, and having enough energy to have a big night on the Sunday when the SE corner is quieter. Even arriving late on the Weds in 2016, I was surprised how much quieter the site felt in the evening compared to arriving on the Thurs.

This will be my 8th Glasto.

First 4 we arrived early doors Wednesday.

All festivals since becoming parents have been Thursday lunch/mid-afternoon, to minimise time away from the little ones. 

The pros to a Thursday arrival….

- Zero traffic in to site

- No queues at the gate

- Feel much fresher for the 3 main days

Cons to Thursday arrival….

- Camping spot, you’ll have to take what you can get 

- There may be a touch of FOMO if you have friends arriving the Wednesday (although if this is the case they could take your tent for you)

Other than 2016(which due to work emergancy, traffic and weather) where we arrived at 10pm on Wednesday night I've gone in between 11am-1pm every year since 2014. This year I'll be at the gate by 9am-10am. 

Managed to nab a ticket in the secret coach sale and will be coming in from Bath at a current unknown time. After the stress of Sunday, she's happy to just be going. I'll be taking booze/tent/sleeping bag in. She'll just be taking in her gear for the days. Now just to find out what time she's getting in I'm hoping its early. 

We're arriving Thursday with Coach tickets.

Would much prefer Wednesday as I really enjoy the opening ceremony  including (controversially) the fire works and burning of the Phoenix etc.

Previously have arrived on a Tuesday, when working at Glastolatino. Loved it.

As someone else said, I'd go on the Monday if possible.

9 hours ago, paulshane said:

As someoen who used to go in the 90s (I still go, but I used to go in the 90s as well 😄 ) this is my experience too - I used to finish work on Friday, swing by my mates to pick them up in my VW bus as it was my daily driver back then, and we'd be in East something or other by 7PM.

Over the years it moved to Friday lunchtimes, then Friday AM, then Thurs evening, and so on.

Now that East camper is open on Tuesdays, I get there on Tuesday lunchtime 🙂 Obviously no site access on Tuesday, but I generally meet up with friends who also get there early or are stewarding etc and are already on site but can pop out for a beer.

I'd go on Monday if I could.

I think for me the Wednesday is early enough....perhaps Tuesday evening if I could keep it quiet on the drink and I was in the CV fields.

Not sure if I could ever imagine them pushing it to Tuesday in the main campsites......that would really up the ante I guess!

Not been since 2016 so I'll be there Wednesday as well. Got WV for the first time though so I'll afford the luxury of a bit of a lie in since my camping spot is sorted. 

For those that know what sort of time does the Wednesday morning rush finish?

7 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Not been since 2016 so I'll be there Wednesday as well. Got WV for the first time though so I'll afford the luxury of a bit of a lie in since my camping spot is sorted. 

For those that know what sort of time does the Wednesday morning rush finish?

For Worthy View I am not sure if there is really a rush, more a steady stream of people arriving all through Wednesday because there is no pressure to get the best spot. There will be people queuing bang on 08:00am but most will arrive early afternoon, which is what I did both times I was in there, mainly to avoid the worst of the early morning traffic on the east side of the site.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Friends of mine who used to go in the 90s used to say most people wouldn’t normally turn up until after work on the Friday.

I can recall my first few years the Wednesday was always pretty quiet and until in 2009 they started punting it as a 5 day festival it’s just been completely rammed from Weds lunchtime onwards ever since!

Whichever year they started opening the car park on Tuesday night (resulting in the Queue of Death) - might've been the same year - was definitely the beginning of the problems we have now.

I much preferred it when Weds-Thurs was an open secret, just to take the edge off the numbers a bit. 

2 minutes ago, UEF said:

Whichever year they started opening the car park on Tuesday night (resulting in the Queue of Death) - might've been the same year - was definitely the beginning of the problems we have now.

I much preferred it when Weds-Thurs was an open secret, just to take the edge off the numbers a bit. 

2010 was the first year they opened the car parks on the Tuesday night. 🙂 

I think a lot of it was so everyone could get on site and pitched up for the England game that got shown on the Pyramid field on the Weds afternoon and its just rolled on from there.

If you've never been before it's kind of a case of you won't know what you are missing out on. If she enjoys Thursday to Sunday next year no doubt she'll want to go for the full thing. If she doesn't then it's one day less to ensure. Going from Thursday is preferable to not going at all. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've been enough times now not to get FOMO about the Wednesday and am happy now to rock up Thursday lunchtime with my tent already up and ready to go.

Agree with everyone who says it's a godsend to still feel human on the Sunday.

A few years ago I decided to start taking it very easy on the Wednesday and it does help with some more energy on the Sunday.

I remember going in the late 80's and turned up Monday, maybe Tuesday. Hung out played up on the pyramid on ropes swings and generally hung out on the farm with the travelers that were there. Very relaxing. Only did it once that way I think.

Do Monday to Monday now and still have energy on the Sunday night. Hope I am the same this year

Edited by fred quimby

Just now, gooner1990 said:

A few years ago I decided to start taking it very easy on the Wednesday and it does help with some more energy on the Sunday.

Same here.  I can't hack 5 days in a row of heavy drinking and partying these days and have really got to pace myself.

Party smarter, not harder, kids.

20 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I agree on that on one hand, but on the other what I love about it IS the relaxation. There's not so much to do so its sort of like a proper holiday day, and while obviously you can choose to spend the other days in that sort of state of mind, there are generally bands etc to go to and it would probably take a lot of willpower for me not to be tied into band times. The Wednesday gives a sort of carefree feeling to me that goes away a bit as the weekend goes on (replaced by a good level of manic times, but still different). Sitting around catching up, ambling around looking at food stalls, Greenfields etc, sunset on one of the hills. I absolutely love it. 

That said, Thursday is my favourite day, as it has that mix of the two states as the day goes on leading up to hanging out at William's Green half watching the bands from outside (though I did venture in for Pale Waves last time as I really like them), then getting lost in the first "proper" nighttime. After 2013 where I pretty much lost the Thursday due to getting set up by 9am Wednesday and just caning the cider til 1am, I haven't made that mistake again so usually feel great Thursday morning. 

This. Went on Thursday in 2009, was ok but felt we missed out a bit. Have been set up by early Wednesday afternoon everytime since. Love the Wednesday chill, having a BBQ at camp wandering round the site checking out what's new. Thursday gets you ready/eases you in for the festival fun to come. That said loads of our mates have turned up late Wednesday or Thursday and even Friday morning (tbf he came from Bangkok!) but we had done all the set up for them. Just two of us this year and we haven't been since 2017 so will def be chilling in Bailey's early Wednesday afternoon then off to write some postcards, have missed it so much.

Edited by Levitz

1 minute ago, Levitz said:

This. Went on Thursday in 2009, was ok but felt we missed out a bit. Have been set up by early Wednesday afternoon everytime since. Love the Wednesday chill, having a BBQ at camp wandering round the site checking out what's new. Thursday gets you ready/eases you in for the festival fun to come. That said loads of our mates have turned up late Wednesday or Thursday and even Friday morning (tbf he came from Bangkok!) but we had done all the set up for them. Just two of us this year but will def be chilling in Bailey's early Wednesday afternoon then off to write some postcards.

What do you bring for BBQ stuff? Do you have a proper setup or just buy like a disposable one off co-op

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

What do you bring for BBQ stuff? Do you have a proper setup or just buy like a disposable one off co-op

Yeah, in previous years just the disposable ones. Think they might be banned this year (I might have made that up!). I also have a pack flat BBQ that doubles as a fire pit which is excellent for camping, if you had a few coals and firelighters it would do the trick (I'll see if I can find the link). edit .....here it is https://www.millets.co.uk/15989045/eurohike-foldable-bbq-15989045/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3IqSBhCoARIsAMBkTb2OgOVTHQutL4l5k1wUT141ykeFaeGqyelmO4bIGbseNwKeWngAyYkaAqu7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Levitz

Just now, The Nal said:

Wheres the best camping spot on a Thursday? Im a Michael Mead, Hitchin Hill side of the fest guy.

In that case the easy answer is Lime Kiln and (the general public) part of Wicket Ground, as they tend to be amongst the least populated parts of site - especially the closer you get to Gate 6.

Cracking view from the high ground on Lime Kiln as well, arguably as good as the view from the top of The Park.

• Upvote 1