Wednesday vs Thursday Entry

kemosabe

What are everyone's thought on the going on the Thursday. Been going since 2015, but always on the Wednesday as early as possible (either coach or main ticket). I had a ticket already this time but managed to grab a ticket for my girlfriend this year for her first Glasto (thanks secret coach sale yesterday) but it's on the Thursday. 

What are people's thoughts on coming on a Thursday? Does anyone do it willingly? Obviously I haven't said anything, but I can't help but feel she's going to miss out on that magical first day wandering around the site familiarising yourself when it's a bit quieter and not a lot is on? A tickets a ticket of course, and most of the Thursday stuff is in the evening so you don't miss much really - but there's got to be a bit of FOMO right?      

I'm arriving on Thursday. The primary reason is that my parents are looking after our 5 year old, and I didn't think it would be fair to ask them to have him for the full five days. Also, given that it's our first child-free festival in YEARS I don't want to peak too soon haha! 

There will definitely be some FOMO - but I know it's for the greater good - and besides, we're in WV so I don't have the worry of not having anywhere to pitch our tent. 

If she hasn't been then I am not sure she will know what she is missing. 

You can't go on the coach, so you could be there everything set up just right and she will not have to bring anything. Rolls off the coach into your arms and you embark on a magical time together. She will be back in October trying for Wednesday tickets

• Upvote 1

I did my first Glastonbury in 2019 with my two teenage children arriving on coach tickets from Manchester around lunchtime Thursday. We're lucky to have bagged general admission this year.  

Will we be arriving Tuesday night excited to be on site first thing on Wednesday morning? Yes.

Did we still have one of the best weekends of our lives arriving on Thursday? Absolutely.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

If she hasn't been then I am not sure she will know what she is missing. 

You can't go on the coach, so you could be there everything set up just right and she will not have to bring anything. Rolls off the coach into your arms and you embark on a magical time together. She will be back in October trying for Wednesday tickets

Yeah absolutely. The tent will be up etc. so it's literally straight into the festival (8am coach from London as well, so presumably be there fair early on Thursday too) and she won't have a clue. I just wondered other peoples thoughts and aside from logistical/ time reasons if there's any real benefits to it. 

I do wonder if it makes it harder to get your baring's if you turned up later and Thursdays are busy as fuck, so it's even more overwhelming experience I suppose.  

Edited by kemosabe

2 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Yeah absolutely. The tent will be up etc. so it's literally straight into the festival (8am coach from London as well, so presumably be there fair early on Thursday too) and she won't have a clue. I just wondered other peoples thoughts and aside from logistical/ time reasons if there's any real benefits to it. 

I do wonder if it makes it harder to get your baring's if you turned up later and Thursdays are busy as fuck, so it's even more overwhelming experience I suppose.  

There could be benefits from Thursday arrival over Wednesday for anyone who struggles with say a bad back, isn't a big fan of camping, who loves a shower etc. More so in a muddy year.  So anyone who you were worried might not last the pace.

2 minutes ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

There could be benefits from Thursday arrival over Wednesday for anyone who struggles with say a bad back, isn't a big fan of camping, who loves a shower etc. More so in a muddy year.  So anyone who you were worried might not last the pace.

Could also mean 1 less day of holiday being taken which may be a big factor for some people. Especially teachers who have to blag to get to the festival at all before Friday night

I’ve arrived on Thursday as much as I’ve arrived on Wednesday in the past, as some of my mates prefer to arrive on the Thursday as they think 5 days on the lash is just too much. On the times I’ve come on Thursday I have found it incredibly difficult looking at things like the webcam and having the feeling of missing out, especially if I’ve also been at work whilst doing it. I’d always come on Wednesday by choice (I am this year) but Thursday isn’t so bad, it’s just the fomo, but by the time Sunday rolls around, arriving on the Thursday will probably be paying dividends, so it has its advantages.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

My first festival I arrived on the Thursday afternoon as we had coach tickets, main issue apart from FOMO being the fact it didn't feel like I had a proper chance to explore everywhere as things started kicking off then obviously main stages started the next day. Whereas now arriving on Wednesday means being able to bar crawl around the site, get my bearings, explore all the smaller areas and be able to appreciate it better. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

What are everyone's thought on the going on the Thursday. Been going since 2015, but always on the Wednesday as early as possible (either coach or main ticket). I had a ticket already this time but managed to grab a ticket for my girlfriend this year for her first Glasto (thanks secret coach sale yesterday) but it's on the Thursday. 

What are people's thoughts on coming on a Thursday? Does anyone do it willingly? Obviously I haven't said anything, but I can't help but feel she's going to miss out on that magical first day wandering around the site familiarising yourself when it's a bit quieter and not a lot is on? A tickets a ticket of course, and most of the Thursday stuff is in the evening so you don't miss much really - but there's got to be a bit of FOMO right?      

Another plus is you’ll have 24 hours of getting bang at it until your girlfriend arrives and you have to reign it in. 

• Upvote 3

I really enjoy the Wednesday and Thursday, but it also means I’m usually completely shattered by the Sunday evening and really struggle to do much by that point.

Friends of mine who’ve sometimes turned up on the Thursday afternoon either by choice or due to a coach package are still raring to go for one last mad night wheras I’m usually just like something out of the walking dead struggling to gain any enthusiasm for anything!

As I’ve been mentioning elsewhere on here today I’m thinking of giving up the turn up early Weds thing after this year.  Perhaps even just turning up Weds afternoon having had a full nights sleep and then camping on the outskirts of the site rather than no sleep and being one of the first on site just to get a camping spot in party central.

Edited by gooner1990

I've had times when I lived about 6 miles away and turned up on Friday and still had a great time, indeed some of those times I even went home, had a shower or whatever and came back later.

Many folks here like to get there Tuesday and get in first thing to maximise the occasion, whilst seeing as much as possible of the site, but you can have a great time however long you're there and whatever you do.  Plus others have said, some folks would rather have one less night under canvas and away from flushing loos.

I have never arrived on Thursday as I love Wednesday/Thursday so much I like to be there as early as possible! I remember when hardly anyone used to come until Thursday but this has changed as the years have gone by. I especially love it when the fireworks start and Arcadia fires up. We pitched in the accessible overspill in E21 so had incredible views of the site from the Hill of Death and the added bonus of arriving to pitch on Tuesday! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I've had times when I lived about 6 miles away and turned up on Friday and still had a great time, indeed some of those times I even went home, had a shower or whatever and came back later.

Many folks here like to get there Tuesday and get in first thing to maximise the occasion, whilst seeing as much as possible of the site, but you can have a great time however long you're there and whatever you do.  Plus others have said, some folks would rather have one less night under canvas and away from flushing loos.

Friends of mine who used to go in the 90s used to say most people wouldn’t normally turn up until after work on the Friday.

I can recall my first few years the Wednesday was always pretty quiet and until in 2009 they started punting it as a 5 day festival it’s just been completely rammed from Weds lunchtime onwards ever since!

5 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I have never arrived on Thursday as I love Wednesday/Thursday so much I like to be there as early as possible! I remember when hardly anyone used to come until Thursday but this has changed as the years have gone by. I especially love it when the fireworks start and Arcadia fires up. We pitched in the accessible overspill in E21 so had incredible views of the site from the Hill of Death and the added bonus of arriving to pitch on Tuesday! 

First year I went in 2004 we arrived 6pm and pitched at Top Webb’s Ash by the Pyramid no problem!

unthinkable now! 

Always Thursday as I prefer an extra night of sleep in a proper bed - my mates are usually working on the site and pitch up the tents on Wednesday morning opposite the pyramid stage. Our group turn up and unload the beer. Been doing this for years.

Just now, gooner1990 said:

First year I went in 2004 we arrived 6pm and pitched at Top Webb’s Ash by the Pyramid no problem!

unthinkable now! 

Mine was 2005, rocked up about 3pm and pitched easily in Oxylers! Moved to Williams in 2007 and got there for the gates opening, it was practically empty until teatime. Bought a caravan after the festival 2008 as we decided it was time for some comfort when it rained! 

2 minutes ago, NickM45 said:

Always Thursday as I prefer an extra night of sleep in a proper bed - my mates are usually working on the site and pitch up the tents on Wednesday morning opposite the pyramid stage. Our group turn up and unload the beer. Been doing this for years.

Would you do the same if you didn’t have that arrangement? 🤔