Best Kept Secret 2022

I couldn't see a thread for this year's BKS (tickets still available - https://www.bestkeptsecret.nl/).

Great line-up as always for 2022 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Strokes, and alt-J the headliners.

Does anybody know when further additions to the line-up will come? Judging by the speculative Clashfinders people have put together - I think we're due approximately 15 acts for the main three stages across the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite frustrated by the clashes this time around! Worst it's ever happened for me at a festival (as a % of my must see acts).

Big gaps where there's nobody of interest and then things like Mavis Staples v Iceage; Alt-J v DIIV; Big Thief v Unschooling; The Strokes v Kikagaku Moyo; Metronomy v Porridge Radio; Nick Cave v Automatic.

Edited by JHad

On 5/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, JHad said:

Quite frustrated by the clashes this time around! Worst it's ever happened for me at a festival (as a % of my must see acts).

Big gaps where there's nobody of interest and then things like Mavis Staples v Iceage; Alt-J v DIIV; Big Thief v Unschooling; The Strokes v Kikagaku Moyo; Metronomy v Porridge Radio; Nick Cave v Automatic.

Always go for the bands you are less likely to see again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Having a logistical nightmare after appearing to have it all sorted. Booked and paid for our accommodation in Amsterdam for the weekend due to only attending the Saturday, and our plan was to use the party bussen day return from Amsterdam. Went to book last night and now the website is saying there’s no more buses due to a national shortage of bus drivers? 

Does anybody have any other suggestions on what we can do? The train is another option but I think we’ll be pushing it fine to get to Tilburg after the strokes? Camping is only allowed as well with a weekend ticket…

3 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Having a logistical nightmare after appearing to have it all sorted. Booked and paid for our accommodation in Amsterdam for the weekend due to only attending the Saturday, and our plan was to use the party bussen day return from Amsterdam. Went to book last night and now the website is saying there’s no more buses due to a national shortage of bus drivers? 

Does anybody have any other suggestions on what we can do? The train is another option but I think we’ll be pushing it fine to get to Tilburg after the strokes? Camping is only allowed as well with a weekend ticket…

There are a couple of night trains, although they take over 2 hours total with a change in Rotterdam. Trains leave for Rotterdam Centraal at 01.02 and 02.02, with the connections leaving there for Amsterdam at 02.00 and 03.00 respectively. There's also a similar one leaving Tilburg at 00.09, but you'd have to cut The Strokes short to make that. See ns.nl for more info.

Another option is a hotel in Tilburg, although far from cheap. The Bastion still had rooms on booking.com just now, but it's over 200 euro a pop.

Taxi would be quicker, but would certainly cost more than the hotel...

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

There are a couple of night trains, although they take over 2 hours total with a change in Rotterdam. Trains leave for Rotterdam Centraal at 01.02 and 02.02, with the connections leaving there for Amsterdam at 02.00 and 03.00 respectively. There's also a similar one leaving Tilburg at 00.09, but you'd have to cut The Strokes short to make that. See ns.nl for more info.

Another option is a hotel in Tilburg, although far from cheap. The Bastion still had rooms on booking.com just now, but it's over 200 euro a pop.

Taxi would be quicker, but would certainly cost more than the hotel...

Thanks for the reply

How long do you think it would take to get from the festival to Tilburg station just after the strokes end? Is it likely we would make that 1am train?  

6 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Thanks for the reply

How long do you think it would take to get from the festival to Tilburg station just after the strokes end? Is it likely we would make that 1am train?  

You should be OK. It's about 10-15 minutes' walk from the main stage to the shuttle buses, then 10 minutes on the bus to the station. The uncertainty is how long you are waiting for the shuttle bus. We've had everything from 0 minutes to 40 minutes waiting time over the years.

If you want to eliminate the risk and uncertainty, there should be taxis waiting around by the festival entrance. Not sure how much they charge, but it's the stress-free way of getting back to Tilburg.

14 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Just a quick idea but maybe it’s cheaper in total to rent a car for one day and then park it at the festival area? 

the train ticket will cost you about 50-60 euros (is my experience ). If you would take the taxi another 20 euros. Maybe it’s more relaxed after all to rent a car. Ofcourse you can’t drink then 😅😉

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DDave said:

@Trufflehound

How was BKS this year? 

Outstanding. Great to be back in festival mode again. Weather was pretty much spot on: dry and mostly sunny, but not so hot as to be uncomfortable.

My top 5 acts:
1: black midi - wow, just wow
2: Walt Disco - see above
3: Talk Show
4: Jehnny Beth
5: Porridge Radio twice (once on stage, once in the "Secret Sessions" in the woods)

Other memorable moments:
• Wolf Alice ending their set by stripping off and jumping in the lake*
• Nick Cave selling Warren Ellis's "bucket" (it may have been a spittoon) for €20 mid-set to someone in the crowd (bit surreal).
• The cheer midway through Walt Disco that was so loud and unrelenting it prompted the singer to reply: "Fucking hell we've still got half a set to go yet."
• Jehnny Beth walking over the crowd twice (although by the second time she waded in she had at least removed her stilettos)
• Genesis Owusu ripping off his backing singers' gimp masks mid-set as a metaphor for his personal victory over the "Black Dogs", i.e. his depression (I guess you had to be there but it was quite powerful)
• the unbelievable moshing at Talk Show - fortunately the guy at the front in the wheelchair didn't seem to mind the fact he had random strangers landing on his head every few minutes
• Amenra's unplugged acoustic set at the Secret Sessions in the woods which- uncharacteristically - was so quiet you had to strain to hear it above the festival thrum
• oh, and watching the roadies struggling to repair black midi's drum kit throughout the show as the drummer was whacking it so hard he was pushing it off the drum riser...

*as I've  learned from YouTube, the leader of King Gizzard also ended up in the lake, but we missed that as we were elsewhere...

Edited by Trufflehound
  • Upvote 2

Only went Saturday and Sunday an had a blast. Jehnny Beth was a huge surprise, excellent set. Loved the energy. The Strokes were very The Strokes. Which is a good thing. Amenra was a punch in the guts.

But ultimately the weekend belonged to Nick Cave. I dare to say that this was the best headline set I’ve ever witnessed at Best Kept Secret. Thrilling in every way possible and if you only see one act this festival season, let it be him. 

Yes, BKS 2022 was awesome. Nick Cave even more enjoyable (less crowded, less talking) than at Primavera. King Gizzard absolutely rocked and can confirm the singer surfing all the way from stage to the lake (see picture). Amenra in the morning was awesome, Beach House as always pure beauty, Fontaines D.C. are getting better and better and even the Strokes were pretty awesome!

Only negative issue was sewer troubles at the camp site, which made our bungalow end up under "water" saturday morning, smelled like piss and beer, horrific, but kind of funny as well. Did get a refund day after, so no complaints in the end.

Screenshot_20220613-165029_Twitter.jpg

5 hours ago, Trufflehound said:

Outstanding. Great to be back in festival mode again. Weather was pretty much spot on: dry and mostly sunny, but not so hot as to be uncomfortable.

My top 5 acts:
1: black midi - wow, just wow
2: Walt Disco - see above
3: Talk Show
4: Jehnny Beth
5: Porridge Radio twice (once on stage, once in the "Secret Sessions" in the woods)

Other memorable moments:
• Wolf Alice ending their set by stripping off and jumping in the lake*
• Nick Cave selling Warren Ellis's "bucket" (it may have been a spittoon) for €20 mid-set to someone in the crowd (bit surreal).
• The cheer midway through Walt Disco that was so loud and unrelenting it prompted the singer to reply: "Fucking hell we've still got half a set to go yet."
• Jehnny Beth walking over the crowd twice (although by the second time she waded in she had at least removed her stilettos)
• Genesis Owusu ripping off his backing singers' gimp masks mid-set as a metaphor for his personal victory over the "Black Dogs", i.e. his depression (I guess you had to be there but it was quite powerful)
• the unbelievable moshing at Talk Show - fortunately the guy at the front in the wheelchair didn't seem to mind the fact he had random strangers landing on his head every few minutes
• Amenra's unplugged acoustic set at the Secret Sessions in the woods which- uncharacteristically - was so quiet you had to strain to hear it above the festival thrum
• oh, and watching the roadies struggling to repair black midi's drum kit throughout the show as the drummer was whacking it so hard he was pushing it off the drum riser...

*as I've  learned from YouTube, the leader of King Gizzard also ended up in the lake, but we missed that as we were elsewhere...

Never had you down as going to see Genesis Owusu. He was W2 of  Primavera so missed him. Sounds like he puts on a great show. 

13 hours ago, DDave said:

Never had you down as going to see Genesis Owusu. He was W2 of  Primavera so missed him. Sounds like he puts on a great show. 

I'm open to anyone who puts their back, heart and soul into a performance.

It's the people who think that a "millennial whoop" = expressing emotion who send me scampering for the exits...!

• Upvote 1