Resale success? Who’s in?

John the Moth

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Glastonbury 1999 my friends were going and I decided I would just do Reading Festival... (!)

I was with them when they sauntered up to HMV in Oxford and asked for 5 tickets, the guy printed them off and they just handed the cash over.  Think were were only in the shop for 10 mins! 😄 

So easy!

My first year was 1998 and I sent a cheque off in the post to Mr M Eavis at Worthy Farm, a few months later my tickets turned up! Simpler times!

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

12 hours, 4 hours etc was more about server capacity though. I reckon 2011 would've sold out in 15 minnutes had they had the IT for it.

~12 hours in 2010 wasn't down to server capacity. The site was wide open for anyone after the first few hours. My suspicion is that a fair few people will have taken a "relaxed" approach and not bothered with a 9am start, assuming it'd be as easy as it had the previous couple years - wouldn't be surprised if a fair few of them got caught out when it sold out later in the day.

2011 was entirely server capacity though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, abiwish said:

This is my guess too. Unfortunately. Whoever these friends and family are, they're lucky buggers.

So I just tried again, but in the lead booking slot I put the details of someone who's already got tickets just to see what would happen and upon clicking proceed it gave the response of 'Tickets have already been purchased using this registration' rather than the 'Admission tickets are currently unavailable' which you get if it's someone who hasn't got tickets

Reckon there's definitely some kind of white list going on.... Reckon you'd just need a certain reg details in that first slot to get through...

37 minutes ago, Troop Dogg said:

My first year was 1998 and I sent a cheque off in the post to Mr M Eavis at Worthy Farm, a few months later my tickets turned up! Simpler times!

😄

My first year was the first year it was an utter nightmare to get tickets (2004) although it was easy to get them in 2008 and 2009. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leath02 said:

So I just tried again, but in the lead booking slot I put the details of someone who's already got tickets just to see what would happen and upon clicking proceed it gave the response of 'Tickets have already been purchased using this registration' rather than the 'Admission tickets are currently unavailable' which you get if it's someone who hasn't got tickets

Reckon there's definitely some kind of white list going on.... Reckon you'd just need a certain reg details in that first slot to get through...

Yeh agreed. Can't be certain but feels most likely. Just wish there was a way on to that list ha!

1 minute ago, leath02 said:

Yeah, I've tried repeatedly over the last hour with the same 'no tickets available' result (definition of stupidity?! 😂)

Whether it's white listed for bottle buyers or friends and family or whatever, you'd need to get through on your own reg to buy tickets for yourself.

47 minutes ago, incident said:

~12 hours in 2010 wasn't down to server capacity. The site was wide open for anyone after the first few hours. My suspicion is that a fair few people will have taken a "relaxed" approach and not bothered with a 9am start, assuming it'd be as easy as it had the previous couple years - wouldn't be surprised if a fair few of them got caught out when it sold out later in the day.

2011 was entirely server capacity though.

2011 was the great DNS cockup wasn't it?  They had two servers processing tickets, for the first 90 minutes of the sale the DNS entry was only pointing to the first server.  Hard code your host file to the secondary one and it was just sat there with little/no load on it for all that time.  I must have got upward of 50+ tickets for mates, mates of mates and so forth.  Suffice to say I got absolutely hammered on the Wednesday and didn't buy a single drink 🤣

Edited by tumbles

11 minutes ago, prestonmanc said:

Yeah, I've tried repeatedly over the last hour with the same 'no tickets available' result (definition of stupidity?! 😂)

Whether it's white listed for bottle buyers or friends and family or whatever, you'd need to get through on your own reg to buy tickets for yourself.

Ha, same here. Glad to know I'm not the only one 

I just wanted to add that due to 'bottle-gate' I have managed to get 4 tickets today and I can barely believe it. 

I am now obviously too scared to say to them I don't the bottle.  Also too scared to tell them I have paid a booking fee for the bottle. Booking fee for the ticket. Booking fee for the car park.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

😄

My first year was the first year it was an utter nightmare to get tickets (2004) although it was easy to get them in 2008 and 2009. 🙂 

2004 was my first year too.  I don't remember the buying process really - I just remember thinking we didn't get them.  

maybe a month before the festival I was going over a credit card statement and saw that I'd been charged for the tickets. I called and sure enough, we'd bagged them and never even knew.  Never got a confirmation email or anything. 

Now, I live in NYC and back then, international tickets weren't sent out in the post - you had to pick them up in castle cary.  In 2004 I had never even been to the UK let alone Glastonbury Festival, but my friend and I planned a last minute trip over all the same and we had the time of our lives.  So much we didn't plan for though.  We don't drive, and once we got to Castle Cary, we hadn't planned on how to get to the festival site - we hitch hiked and someone brought us.  Also, our flight back to the US was out of Heathrow at 14:00 on the monday after, which we made by the skin of our teeth.  We must have smelled amazing.  

Good times 

12 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Can confirm I will keep trying until the page disappears again 😅

Best part is my pals have no idea I'm doing this for them 

Have been doing the same all afternoon. It’s not going to work, & they’re not going to find out I tried. 

14 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Can confirm I will keep trying until the page disappears again 😅

Best part is my pals have no idea I'm doing this for them 

weirdly the page was only open for 10 minutes yesterday but has now been open for a few hours today. Though I suppose if it's for specific registrations, it could just mean they're being slower to sort it than whoever it was opened for yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Fake Encore said:

I just wanted to add that due to 'bottle-gate' I have managed to get 4 tickets today and I can barely believe it. 

I am now obviously too scared to say to them I don't the bottle.  Also too scared to tell them I have paid a booking fee for the bottle. Booking fee for the ticket. Booking fee for the car park.  

Delighted for you! Did you have to use the form so many people here are trying?  I would have thought it's worth pointing out it was their cock-up and trying to get the booking fees refunded.

32 minutes ago, Fake Encore said:

Did they get you to buy the tickets through the site? Thought that might be why the add reg page is 'live', putting through the bottle gate peeps but only opening it to their specific registrations

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

2011 was the great DNS cockup wasn't it?  They had two servers processing tickets, for the first 90 minutes of the sale the DNS entry was only pointing to the first server.  Hard code your host file to the secondary one and it was just sat there with little/no load on it for all that time.  I must have got upward of 50+ tickets for mates, mates of mates and so forth.  Suffice to say I got absolutely hammered on the Wednesday and didn't buy a single drink 🤣

Think that was 2013 - managed 36 tickets in about 10 minutes thanks to the legends on these boards 😂

35 minutes ago, abiwish said:

weirdly the page was only open for 10 minutes yesterday but has now been open for a few hours today. Though I suppose if it's for specific registrations, it could just mean they're being slower to sort it than whoever it was opened for yesterday.

For the normal see tickets Glastonbury URL?

26 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Did they get you to buy the tickets through the site? Thought that might be why the add reg page is 'live', putting through the bottle gate peeps but only opening it to their specific registrations

I may well be (quickly) proven wrong on this, but I don't think that'll be it - just because the reports of the bottlers being sorted out started coming through before the page went live yesterday.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

I may well be (quickly) proven wrong on this, but I don't think that'll be it - just because the reports of the bottlers being sorted out started coming through before the page went live yesterday.

I was thinking the same thing, so thought it might be more likely to be something like "friends and family" tickets

29 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Think that was 2013 - managed 36 tickets in about 10 minutes thanks to the legends on these boards 😂

You might be right, my memory deceives me.  Ironically one of my colleagues who I work with had done a manual DNS look up and hardcoded the 1st server before the sale started.   It was only about an hour later he mentioned he wasn't get anywhere.