Pre-erected

blutarsky

3 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Anyone ever stayed in one of the Glastonbury Bell Tents? Booked one at WV for this year, but now having 2nd thoughts about the lack of porch space. Assume if it's a muddy one the inside gets completely trashed?

I can't offer any advice about the tent, but highly recommend a couple of big blue IKEA bags (or similar) - muddy boots in one, wet coats etc. in the other. Not that it's going to be muddy, of course. ☀️

Edited by jimmillen

9 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I can't offer any advice about the tent, but highly recommend a couple of big blue IKEA bags (or similar) - muddy boots in one, wet coats etc. in the other. Not that it's going to be muddy, of course. ☀️

Yeah I think with the lack of any separate porch area, this suggestion is a very good shout. Will bring a groundsheet too I think to try and keep it tidyish.

16 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Aye, I think 2007 and earlier we'd been in Webbs Ash for many years - big groups, I had a large tent.  Someone even brought a spare tent just for firewood which lasted until Sunday!

I think that year it rained every day maybe?  Since then I've either done rented motorhome or caravan - I don't have a space to keep one of my own even if I would use it for things other than Glastonbury.

This year was faced with the prospect of breaking my incredible lucky streak, some of which has been in coach sales or resales, so thought that even if that would be silly that would increase my odds.

I'll just be delighted to be there 🙂 

2007 lashed it down on the Friday lunchtime, then rained fairly consistently for the rest of the weekend.  Couldn't wait to get home!

I'll keep going with standard camping until I can't hack it anymore, then I may reluctantly look at pre-pitched options!

Just now, gooner1990 said:

2007 lashed it down on the Friday lunchtime, then rained fairly consistently for the rest of the weekend.  Couldn't wait to get home!

I'll keep going with standard camping until I can't hack it anymore, then I may reluctantly look at pre-pitched options!

Aye it was the unrelenting nature of it, compared to the muddy years, that wore me down.  That was the first year since the time I'd lived near enough to nip home that I'd had enough on the Sunday and left - just felt I've seen the whole place and had some fun, but no way would I get enough pleasure on the Sunday from another day standing in my soggy boots.

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Aye it was the unrelenting nature of it, compared to the muddy years, that wore me down.  That was the first year since the time I'd lived near enough to nip home that I'd had enough on the Sunday and left - just felt I've seen the whole place and had some fun, but no way would I get enough pleasure on the Sunday from another day standing in my soggy boots.

I'd have purchased some new boots! 

Hi all! Not long to go now and my group are finalising our camping plans.  Unfortunately with varying budgets and travel plans, it’s looking impossible to camp together.

It sounds as though we’re near enough sorted, with the exception of one: a newbie who’ll be travelling down to the festival alone and who only knows a couple of us. Her partner was originally going to be there too, but she crazily refunded her ticket all the way back in 2020!! Unfortunately it’s now looking impossible for her to camp with the other person she knows which leaves me…and our 4 man bell tent in Sticklinch has been at capacity since I nabbed it in last year’s resale.

The obvious solution is clearly for us to upgrade to one of the 6-man scout tents still available, but, for financial reasons this is a no-go. So…I’m wondering what are the chances of being able to squeeze her in with us? As far as I can see, the 2 issues are 1) is the tent going to be big enough for 5? And 2) how to get her a Sticklinch wristband?

I’ve no experience of the 4 man bell tents, but I did stay in a 2 man scout at Worthy Pastures last year which seemed massive. It made me think the capacities given are maybe on the stingy side but that may not apply across the board. Does anyone have experience of the bell tents and could advise?

As for getting her into the field, I’m wondering whether we could potentially find someone with a Sticklinch tent not at capacity who would be willing to put our friend on their list? Naturally she’ll be with us and nowhere near anyone else’s tent! Clearly this is a lot for someone to do for a random stranger on the internet, but we’re nice people and can offer ciders in return! Fun company too if that’s of interest, or you could literally never even have to meet any of us if you’d prefer! 

Sorry for the long and cheeky post. I’m grateful for people’s thoughts. This will be my 13th Glastonbury and there’s nothing more fun than showing the place off to newbies…but I’m a bit concerned that if we can’t get something suitable sorted for her she’s going to drop out… Thanks!

24 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'd have purchased some new boots! 

I think firstly anyone selling wet weather gear was largely out of stock and secondly tbh I'd spent Saturday doing my best to keep my chin up and walk the site and by Sunday that spirit was significantly drained.   There was never anywhere you could even get a dry perch, as those inside were either muddy or packed.

My recollection is worse than @gooner1990 and that it may have started even before Friday lunchtime.  Some here talk about challenges of 2016, but I didn't find that as hard.

15 minutes ago, angel_with_a_pint_glass said:

Hi all! Not long to go now and my group are finalising our camping plans.  Unfortunately with varying budgets and travel plans, it’s looking impossible to camp together.

It sounds as though we’re near enough sorted, with the exception of one: a newbie who’ll be travelling down to the festival alone and who only knows a couple of us. Her partner was originally going to be there too, but she crazily refunded her ticket all the way back in 2020!! Unfortunately it’s now looking impossible for her to camp with the other person she knows which leaves me…and our 4 man bell tent in Sticklinch has been at capacity since I nabbed it in last year’s resale.

The obvious solution is clearly for us to upgrade to one of the 6-man scout tents still available, but, for financial reasons this is a no-go. So…I’m wondering what are the chances of being able to squeeze her in with us? As far as I can see, the 2 issues are 1) is the tent going to be big enough for 5? And 2) how to get her a Sticklinch wristband?

I’ve no experience of the 4 man bell tents, but I did stay in a 2 man scout at Worthy Pastures last year which seemed massive. It made me think the capacities given are maybe on the stingy side but that may not apply across the board. Does anyone have experience of the bell tents and could advise?

As for getting her into the field, I’m wondering whether we could potentially find someone with a Sticklinch tent not at capacity who would be willing to put our friend on their list? Naturally she’ll be with us and nowhere near anyone else’s tent! Clearly this is a lot for someone to do for a random stranger on the internet, but we’re nice people and can offer ciders in return! Fun company too if that’s of interest, or you could literally never even have to meet any of us if you’d prefer! 

Sorry for the long and cheeky post. I’m grateful for people’s thoughts. This will be my 13th Glastonbury and there’s nothing more fun than showing the place off to newbies…but I’m a bit concerned that if we can’t get something suitable sorted for her she’s going to drop out… Thanks!

Why can't she camp with the other person?

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I think firstly anyone selling wet weather gear was largely out of stock and secondly tbh I'd spent Saturday doing my best to keep my chin up and walk the site and by Sunday that spirit was significantly drained.   There was never anywhere you could even get a dry perch, as those inside were either muddy or packed.

My recollection is worse than @gooner1990 and that it may have started even before Friday lunchtime.  Some here talk about challenges of 2016, but I didn't find that as hard.

my memory was going with some mates who wanted to see reverend and the makers and then modest mouse on the Other stage so I went with them, as we got there the heavens opened and we dashed into a bar for some shelter....I had my boots on but I also had no waterproof so me and a mate then decided to run back to our tents in Kidney Mead.

I then don't recall the rain easing off that much over the next 24 hours and the damage was done.

As @clarkete says it just became impossible to do anything by the end. 

I left Monday morning, but I can recall the Sunday night just being sat miserable in my campsite drinking beer, finishing off my narcs then going to bed!

49 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I left early on the Sunday and checked in to the first hotel I could find on the way home - I was that desperate for a warm bath! 

Hi could someone whos stayed at the Bath & West showground answer a few questions please :-

Are the buses 24hr?

Are the queue really long for the buses, I normaly wake up and wanna be heading into the festival around 10am?

How long does it normally take on the Bus ?

What gate does it take you to ?

Thank you

Edited by gazzared

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Use a lenor bottle … simples 

I've read other posters talking about lenor or tupperware for women but my wing (wo)man is my sister and there's no way that's happening in a shared tent.  As Al Murray once said to me when he mistook us for a couple "that's what taboos are for!"

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I left Monday morning, but I can recall the Sunday night just being sat miserable in my campsite drinking beer, finishing off my narcs then going to bed!

There certainly was some fun though, but this was one of my views...

197042_4753153059_2345_n.jpg

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

Hi could someone whos stayed at the Bath & West showground answer a few questions please :-

Are the buses 24hr?

Are the queue really long for the buses, I normalyy wake up and wanna be heding into the festival around 10am?

How long does it normally take on the Bus ?

What gate does it take you to ?

Thank you

Yes 24hr

never had to queue very long. 10mins maybe?

Bus is about 10 mins and drops at gate A.

It’s a bit of a faff, especially going back, but the showers are a bonus.

I’d be there this year again if I could have got a ticket.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, angel_with_a_pint_glass said:

It sounds as though the other person will be in the access campsite, as one of two permitted additional people 

You can have up to 3 people with you in the Accessible campsite, including the PA.

34 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

You can have up to 3 people with you in the Accessible campsite, including the PA.

Hey thanks for replying, I’ll check this out but have a feeling we’re already talking about 2 on top of the PA. I don’t know the person who’s entitled to access camping so not sure entirely what the situation is. That’s kind of the issue really - that we’ve got an overall group of 12 or so but very little crossover in terms of who knows each other! Which sounds like great fun for when we’re there, but a bit of a nightmare for organising!!

27 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Only advantage is not having to bring a tent and having closer parking?

You get out far easier, too. 

I've spent my life carting loads of junk around (festivals with kids is an absolute mission) - so more than happy to pay a premium. It's worth it IMO!