Festival layout/map 2022

March Hare

3 hours ago, zeppelin said:

I'd be surprised if the festival weren't actively encouraging traders to take card. I imagine they'll want to say "you'll be able to pay with contactless at..." beforehand. 

My friend works for a company who set up the infrastructure for festivals and other outdoors events to take card payments. They have a contract with Glastonbury this year for the first time.

11 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Been amusing reading through this. This is how thes festival looked last time I was there. And it was massive then! Got a bit to catch up on!E41DA007-2AB3-4148-9ED2-CBA74D35C94E.thumb.jpeg.a9e0774719cbeadd64ed0d9924f7c338.jpeg

13 minutes ago, KidneyTerra said:

Great days!  The equivalent of the SE corner was crowding around the market stall who had a sound system.

Really interesting to see! I've only been going since 2014 - what year was the SE corner born?

It was kinda being born back then, all sorts of weird shit was going on down there that wasn’t part of the official program. Nothing like on the scale it is now though, think the first year of Shangri La was 2008?

Mad how much smaller 2003 was, definitely didn’t feel it at the time. The map looks well sparse! 

24 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

It was kinda being born back then, all sorts of weird shit was going on down there that wasn’t part of the official program. Nothing like on the scale it is now though, think the first year of Shangri La was 2008?

Mad how much smaller 2003 was, definitely didn’t feel it at the time. The map looks well sparse! 

The campsites used to be busier after hours.  We used to have a fire that we started on Wednesday and keep burning for the hole festival.  Seems like fires are being fazed out slowly.

1 hour ago, KidneyTerra said:

The campsites used to be busier after hours.  We used to have a fire that we started on Wednesday and keep burning for the hole festival.  Seems like fires are being fazed out slowly.

Same, someone brought a "wood tent" just to ensure we could keep it stocked. Neighbouring tents could come and sit by it too. Think there are just a lot of tents packed in these days. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:53 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Mobile card reader technology has come on a lot in the last couple of years. Even independent traders can link a card reader to a phone or tablet now. 

There will be those traders that prefer cash but you should be able to pay for the majority of things using your card. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:45 AM, stuie said:

Sounds like you are talking about Boomtown. 

Glasto, and most other festivals, don't control punter spending in this way and the traders all provide their own merchant services. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:56 AM, zeppelin said:

I'd be surprised if the festival weren't actively encouraging traders to take card. I imagine they'll want to say "you'll be able to pay with contactless at..." beforehand. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:58 AM, Junglist1981 said:

I reckon most traders will chose to offer card off their own back anyway as it's much easier not having to deal with cash. The festival won't push them either way, they don't need to.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:28 PM, jefwefwef said:

Ta. It's all old 2019 data that's gonna get wiped, though. I won't copy over the 2019 data as a lot of it will be wrong.

Interesting speculation about cashless/card payments.

I can't imagine GF putting any caveats on E transactions in order to have a stall there. But I can see it's beneficial to have the wireless infrastructure in place for those stall holders who do want to take card payments etc.

I think it's about giving a choice to the punter and stall keeper.

I once bought a 'fluffy animal tail' for my young daughter. The stall holder did take cash but didn't take cards. She asked me if I had a PayPal account and if I didn't mind would I mind using that. So I payed like that on my phone. At the same time she checked on her phone and saw the transaction confirmed. Why she preferred PayPal - I don't know.

I'm just glad there are lots of payment options.