Festival layout/map 2022

March Hare

45 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Best places for ale, in the last couple of festivals: 

Avalon as mentioned, but they do bung on a premium - which im reasonably happy to accept considering how beautiful the bar is! They often have 3 or 4 on tap, nothing of specific note that i recall, tending to focus on approx 4.5% brown stuff (whereas i'd prefer 7% dark stuff, but thats just me) 

Tricketts - had 6-8 ales on tap, ranging from light pales to slightly heavier bests etc, still nothing kickass but beautifully positioned

Cockmill bar by acoustic - about twenty ales on tap, and im sure i saw summer lightning on tap here, which is a right bloody result! They tend to open at midday thursday, and you'll fairly reliably find me there about that time 😋

Cornish bar, in the marketplace between pyramid and west holts ish - this is a regular stop for me cos i do like a pint of Proper Job. tribute will often be on as well, and that aint bad as well. Thank christ they dont have Doom Bar, dreadful muck that it is! 

Pretty much every bar will have some kind of ale on, last time it was often Bath Ales Gem, which is about 3.8% and is a light, refreshing and not bad at all pale. They might have called it Pyramid ale or something similar, but its just rebadged Gem! I can imagine there might be something of a revolution with the beer choices there this year, because crafty stuff is proliferating ever wider, and people are a bit more discerning - there's less enthusiasm for deeply average pints of cooking lager like Tuborg or Carlsberg, and  more for slightly more interesting stuff. If Tricketts can have a couple of kegs of Deya - steady rolling man then to be honest happily i'll bring my chair and pitch up there for a good pint daily! 

Deya brewery is local to me, their tap room is really nice, steady rolling man is a lovely drop, goes down too well sometimes!! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

I need to remember the best places to buy ale.  I don't really do cider or other drinks and can't even remember at the moment what the standard bars sell (do they even all do real ale - I think most do?)  There was the beer bus in, I think T&C, which was the cheapest I found I think.  

Can you help prompt my lack of knowledge?

I think it's the summer house stage area that has bars with good ale, they had Grimbergen and others in the big marquee tent 👍

2019 list, should be very similar

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/bars/

Edited by gazzared

There seems to be a merging/ coalescing of stages this year - with less of them, but bigger capacity. Thinking of SE Corner/ Silver Hayes/ Glade specifically. 

Do we think change is a result of the increased capacity on site (maybe a safety thing?). Or maybe it is a cost thing (less money for security/ set up and maybe reduces the number of performers?), as a result of the pandemic? Or something else? 

EDIT - Just thinking, it could also be as simple that dance music is getting more popular on site year after year I guess? 

Edited by kemosabe

Just now, kemosabe said:

There seems to be a merging/ coalescing of stages this year - with less of them, but bigger capacity. Thinking of SE Corner/ Silver Hayes/ Glade specifically. 

Do we think change is a result of the increased capacity on site (maybe a safety thing?). Or maybe it is a cost thing (less money for security/ set up and maybe reduces the number of performers?), as a result of the pandemic? Or something else? 

I’ve heard budgets have been cut from quite a few different people 

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

avalon was always the best but at a premium price which was £7 in 2019, vaguely remember getting a good one in the park area as well , possibly stonebridge? and if memeory serves i definitely got a pint of tribute somewhere on site 

Otter Ale was being served at Stonebridge in 2019.

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

Looks like Avalon was £6/pint based on this blog:

https://getfrank.co.uk/2019/07/03/how-crying-at-glastonbury-cured-me/

Weirdly though, I looked back at my bank statement and had multiple transactions there for £10 which would suggest £5/pint. 

I'm pretty sure it was more than a fiver a pint - certainly for the ale.  £7 sounds about right to me.  With the bus being about £5.50 I think.  But, hey, it's three years ago... so maybe I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Best places for ale, in the last couple of festivals: 

Avalon as mentioned, but they do bung on a premium - which im reasonably happy to accept considering how beautiful the bar is! They often have 3 or 4 on tap, nothing of specific note that i recall, tending to focus on approx 4.5% brown stuff (whereas i'd prefer 7% dark stuff, but thats just me) 

Tricketts - had 6-8 ales on tap, ranging from light pales to slightly heavier bests etc, still nothing kickass but beautifully positioned

Cockmill bar by acoustic - about twenty ales on tap, and im sure i saw summer lightning on tap here, which is a right bloody result! They tend to open at midday thursday, and you'll fairly reliably find me there about that time 😋

Cornish bar, in the marketplace between pyramid and west holts ish - this is a regular stop for me cos i do like a pint of Proper Job. tribute will often be on as well, and that aint bad as well. Thank christ they dont have Doom Bar, dreadful muck that it is! 

Pretty much every bar will have some kind of ale on, last time it was often Bath Ales Gem, which is about 3.8% and is a light, refreshing and not bad at all pale. They might have called it Pyramid ale or something similar, but its just rebadged Gem! I can imagine there might be something of a revolution with the beer choices there this year, because crafty stuff is proliferating ever wider, and people are a bit more discerning - there's less enthusiasm for deeply average pints of cooking lager like Tuborg or Carlsberg, and  more for slightly more interesting stuff. If Tricketts can have a couple of kegs of Deya - steady rolling man then to be honest happily i'll bring my chair and pitch up there for a good pint daily! 

Oh my, a pint of Deya at Glastonbury would be the dream! Throw in some Verdant or Polly's and I'd be a happy lady! 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I think it's the summer house stage area that has bars with good ale, they had Grimbergen and others in the big marquee tent 👍

2019 list, should be very similar

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/bars/

Thanks.  I always find it difficult to visualise the layout, including the location etc of the bars, when I'm not there.  My feet will remember hopefully when I'm there.  Can you remember the names of any of the bars near the Summer House?

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Thanks.  I always find it difficult to visualise the layout, including the location etc of the bars, when I'm not there.  My feet will remember hopefully when I'm there.  Can you remember the names of any of the bars near the Summer House?

Sorry can't remember, one was a craft ale bus like the cider bus and the others were in marque tents 

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I'm watching all your answers with great intent to add them to a spreadsheet: https://sites.google.com/view/gfgpg

I wonder how many publicly accessible bars/pubs there are over the whole site

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve heard budgets have been cut from quite a few different people 

It's interesting to see how it all plays out. I guess some of the stages gone weren't getting massive crowds anyway, but it could mean generally it feels crowded all weekend with a more concentrated crowd at each remaining stage.   

2 hours ago, kemosabe said:

EDIT - Just thinking, it could also be as simple that dance music is getting more popular on site year after year I guess? 

Also possibly acts that would have previously done it for a free ticket as they want to be at the festival not being able to justify that after two years with no money - it's basically a holiday if there's paying work available elsewhere that weekend and it's hard for many to be taking a holiday right now, especially as the summer season just starts to get going for the first time in three years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beergirl said:

Oh my, a pint of Deya at Glastonbury would be the dream! Throw in some Verdant or Polly's and I'd be a happy lady! 

We went to Big Foot festival last year which is a hybrid beer and music festival, only very small and organised by Verdant I think. They had a Verdant tent, a Deya tent and a couple of beer tents set up like beer festivals with loads of breweries set up. Was really good until they basically ran out of beer by the last day haha

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I don't recognise that name - will have to add it to my list, although it could be one of the ones that I've visited but not registered the name.

Thanks - that all rings bells!  I tend to go for the lighter beers so that I can carry on drinking all day without ill effect.  I can picture the Cornish Bar but don't know if I've ever been in there.  And while I prefer real ale, I'm quite happy to have some craft as long as it's not too gassy.  

And yes, my husband has the same view of Doombar!

Never had the normal stuff I don't think, but the alcohol free Doom Bar is really grim. 

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Otter Ale was being served at Stonebridge in 2019.

4 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I think Otter was on sale at quite a few places now you mention it.

Otter Ale as well as Pilton Pop are served in all the official bars.

Yes, we all have a preference for decent real ale, mine is Doom Bar or 6X,

But the aforementioned local ales are delicious enough, and lets be frank, you're at a great festival in a field, we are so e'fing lucky to have such a wide choice 😃

(No, I don't work for CAMRA 😉)

51 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

Otter Ale as well as Pilton Pop are served in all the official bars.

Yes, we all have a preference for decent real ale, mine is Doom Bar or 6X,

But the aforementioned local ales are delicious enough, and lets be frank, you're at a great festival in a field, we are so e'fing lucky to have such a wide choice 😃

(No, I don't work for CAMRA 😉)

Oh god yes!  I remember back to V when it was carling, which you had to queue about half an hour for, and it was probably £6 a pint 15 years ago!  I never take it for granted believe me!

My four "must do" festivals a year all serve great choices of reasonably priced beer.  Not a carling in sight!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

Is the ale bar in the acoustic field still there? I didn't go in 2019 but I'm sure it was there every year before that. Little stripy tent if I remember correct, which is doubtful!

Definately- was wasted in there one evening '19 after meeting up with some peeps. Anyone remember the dodgy one that used to be there run by some religious fundamentalists or something?

5 minutes ago, JayBalls said:

Just looking at the map and it shows the bar symbol back to other side of the field as it was pre 2019? Do we reckon it will be be there or same as 2019?

Screenshot_20220511-191717_Samsung Internet.jpg

i saw somewhere or heard it was doing the old switcheroo again ... not quite sure why they can't make there mind up one this