Festival layout/map 2022

March Hare

1 minute ago, Staberinde said:

I am kind of glad you've said that. A lots of my glasto going mates have said 'it's a must see venue, you have to see it'
I've always meant to, but meh, there is so much to see and do, and I never got around to it.

Now this would be my 'off the main trail -  little known but excellent, recommendation.

The Chalk Bar.

Any others here in this thread enjoyed themselves there?

I was really interested in The Wormhole.  Maybe even 10 minutes max in a queue interested, but it never looked like it would be that fast. Maybe it would be, who knows? Really, I just wanted to poke my head round the door to decide if I wanted to stay longer, but it was too oversubscribed to get the chance.  I'm not a fan of queuing at the best of times, least of all Glastonbury, but The Park in 2019 was full of queues. Hopefully the consolidation of venues this year will help address that.

Not been to the Chalk Bar, where's that?

1 hour ago, SGS said:

It was a late night jazz venue and it’s going to be a late night cocktail bar this year

Pity, I like jazz, don't come across it that often at the festival beyond the old jazzworld stage.

54 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was oversubscribed and usually had massive, slow moving queues outside.

But yeah, my adhd will usually find something more interesting to do after 2 minutes in a queue.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:59 PM, Staberinde said:

I reckon most years they've used the last years map and just edited it.

This year, it looks like they started completely afresh, from a blank slate.

The graphics looks crisp and clear, hats off to Glasto Cartographer, who ever they may be 👏

It looks a little like the efests version of the map which scottie does most years

13 hours ago, Neil said:

It looks a little like the efests version of the map which scottie does most years

Oh, I had forgotten about Scotties maps. Very colourful and concise. Maybe a bit pixelated on the lines and letters.

I love looking at other peoples and different official versions of Glastonbury maps.

Has he done one this year Neil? I can't seem to find it on your site?

2 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Is there a pub/bar crawl map anywhere?

The mate i’m with this year likes a drink so I figure a pubcrawl on the Wednesday night might be fun

Someone did this years ago so it's out of date but may give you an idea. Most are still there.

1384129528_590af8d551683_Pubcrawl.jpg.370bcea0199cab784c366f501f374912(1).thumb.jpg.2b050802a438f28d9ddc5dd3fd8883f0.jpg

3 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Is there a pub/bar crawl map anywhere?

The mate i’m with this year likes a drink so I figure a pubcrawl on the Wednesday night might be fun

Im not sure the concept of a rigid pub crawl makes sense given the number of available bars and how big the festival is (and thus the walking).  Also if you were to restrict yourself to the bars marked on the map you'd mainly be limiting yourself to the official festival drinks, where there are smaller bars selling a range of different drinks and give yo more choice.

That said, if there were there would be the following I'd recommend as essential.  Not necessarily because they are the best bars but because they are iconic (though most of them are pretty good).  Could do it as a bingo card for the weekend, rather than a pub crawl which would be exhausting.

- Cider Bus (East of Pyramid)

- Brothers Bar (west holts)

- Stonebridge Bar (Park)

- Rabbit hole (Park)

- Beat hotel, now San Remo (West of pyramid). (Might be a personal choice but one of my favourite bars in the past)

Then as some optionals, simply because they are always there.  Mostly sell the festival official drinks.

- Arcadia Bar (Arcadia field, Park)

- Bread and Roses (i think i got that right, main markets area south east of pyramid)

- Mandela bar (pyramid)

- Solstice bar (other stage)

- Ridge and furrow.

You could probably also do a bar crawl solely in the south-east corner, and Rumshack and Rocket Lounge would have to be on that list.

See also Bars | Glastonbury Festival (glastonburyfestivals.co.uk)

4 hours ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

I had the 2013 map come up on my photo memories, interesting to compare the changes 9 years on 

191DAE0E-5495-4244-9C69-E0A030CF88D2.jpeg

The most bonkers decision ever made was to put Arcadia between the Glade and Other stage that year, what on earth were they thinking!

28 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

The most bonkers decision ever made was to put Arcadia between the Glade and Other stage that year, what on earth were they thinking!

I was going to comment on this when i read this earlier and left it. Sound clash must have been awful with the other stage. I guess the thinking must have been it would be nearer lots of infrastructure vs out on its own

Edited by gfa

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Lack of imagination, and licensing considerations i think.  
Prior to that the southeast corner was getting silly.  They moved Arcadia and introduced the one-way system to try to alleviate that (which only slightly worked).  At that time it was perceived they couldn’t have anything pumping out sound north and west of the naughty corner so they “inched” Arcadia up a bit, but not too close to pilton etc.  

I guess after that they decided that sacrificing some camping space was okay, and that it wouldn’t be too hard to get an amplified music license (though it did appear to be dialled down a bit)

I do remember always being so impressed by Arcadia since it started in 2007 or 2008 when it was in SE corner, it seemed so different and so impressive every time I saw it. Then they moved it to "a mainstream" part of the site and it didn't seem so special for me, partly because it was there, in your face, during the day. I always thought it was a bit of a secret find when tucked away in the SE corner, even though you could see the fire from all over the site. They did have the Lords of Lightning though which were always ace, and it still all looks pretty cool looking at the photos/vids of 2013

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siblin said:

Lack of imagination, and licensing considerations i think.  
Prior to that the southeast corner was getting silly.  They moved Arcadia and introduced the one-way system to try to alleviate that (which only slightly worked).  At that time it was perceived they couldn’t have anything pumping out sound north and west of the naughty corner so they “inched” Arcadia up a bit, but not too close to pilton etc.  

I guess after that they decided that sacrificing some camping space was okay, and that it wouldn’t be too hard to get an amplified music license (though it did appear to be dialled down a bit)

Yes, I would love it there was a "Decibels allowed" map showing how much noise is tolerated after hours. I often think it would be really ace to still have live music playing on some of the other main stages eg Park after the headliners finished, even if it was only new bands, BBC introducing bands, Emerging talent acts, even tribute acts/retro acts. I couldnt think if anything better than watching a decent band whilst chilling out with a beer or two in the early hours of the morning. I think they would get a good crowd too away from the dance music which often seems to be the only music allowed after hours (appreciate there are exceptions - Subgiant at 2am in the Bimble Inn being a particular highlight from my fuzzy memory!)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

Yes, I would love it there was a "Decibels allowed" map showing how much noise is tolerated after hours.

The information is out there, but it works slightly differently to that.

In terms of allowed decibels - that's only really a factor in terms of how it affects the various off-site monitoring points, with those being based around Pilton Village and Sticklinch so they don't tend to get affected as much by noise coming from the SE Corner.

The list of venues and permitted hours for them can be seen on the festival licence - https://russ.garrett.co.uk/2016/06/13/glastonbury-festival-license/ - it's on Page 11 of the Command Control etc plan. The way I understand it is that the decision on which "group" a venue gets allocated to is a combination of where the venue is located and how much noise it's likely to generate.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

@crazyfool1will be our resident expert on this. 

im not sure about an expert but i do use my bike from the car park and go past where they used to store the bikes just outside Gate A ..... moving the shed is a curious decision and hopefully a mistake that will be rectified in a later version of the map .... ive not seen any cycling schemes being promoted this year either so maybe they arent so keen to encourage the cyclists like previously ? my bike will be going in the nearest lockup to my camp and they've never had any issues with that 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

im not sure about an expert but i do use my bike from the car park and go past where they used to store the bikes just outside Gate A ..... moving the shed is a curious decision and hopefully a mistake that will be rectified in a later version of the map .... ive not seen any cycling schemes being promoted this year either so maybe they arent so keen to encourage the cyclists like previously ? my bike will be going in the nearest lockup to my camp and they've never had any issues with that 

I like to bike in from offsite and arriving on the first day at PGA avoids the need for queuing to get in. Shame if it’s lost

Just now, stopwn1981 said:

I like to bike in from offsite and arriving on the first day at PGA avoids the need for queuing to get in. Shame if it’s lost

its a strange one indeed ... i wonder if that whole access route for cyclists will be closed off ... pretty rubbish if it is .... do you cycle far?  and  use the cyclist campsite ? 

Bike page was updated today and references of PG A have been removed.

If you’re coming on your bicycle, please follow signs for Bronze Gate, and then you’ll be directed towards the cycle lock-up which is between Bronze Gate and Orange Gate.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-bike/