RIP Taylor Hawkins

rascalpete

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I really doubt that’s it for them. He started the band without Taylor and he’ll continue on without him, even if it takes him a while to get there. The band dynamic will be totally different, granted, but I just don’t see them packing it in. 

Dave will just get a recognisable drummer in from some other band. QOTSA or whatever; someone he's mates with.

On 3/29/2022 at 8:46 PM, kingbadger said:

Dopesick on Disney Plus is a scary, scary look into how the Opiod epidemic started in USA. The drug industry over there is exactly that, hawk as many pills as possible to make as much $$$ as possible regardless of the consequences. 

Yep was just going to say if anyone wants to understand why this ends up happening this is a good starting point. Absolutely crazy situation that so many people with average amount of pain ends up addicted to such serious drugs. Really is state legalised drug dealing. 

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I really doubt that’s it for them. He started the band without Taylor and he’ll continue on without him, even if it takes him a while to get there. The band dynamic will be totally different, granted, but I just don’t see them packing it in. 

I could honestly see it being the end for Foos because he’s a staple member of the band now, they’re all best friends in the band but also with the families. I think even out of respect for Taylor’s wife/kids Dave and the rest of the band may decide to call it a day and leave it as it is for the sake of Taylor’s legacy if you know what I mean? Of course I don’t think Dave will quite music but I think this will hit him and the band very hard. Also, with Dave being a ridiculously good drummer himself it’ll be very hard to replace Taylor as Dave would want to trust the new drummer and expect him to be as good as Dave/Taylor which is no mean feat. Remember that Dave re recorded the whole of The Colour & The Shape because he wasn’t happy with the drumming. 

7 minutes ago, foolee said:

I could honestly see it being the end for Foos because he’s a staple member of the band now, they’re all best friends in the band but also with the families. I think even out of respect for Taylor’s wife/kids Dave and the rest of the band may decide to call it a day and leave it as it is for the sake of Taylor’s legacy if you know what I mean? Of course I don’t think Dave will quite music but I think this will hit him and the band very hard. Also, with Dave being a ridiculously good drummer himself it’ll be very hard to replace Taylor as Dave would want to trust the new drummer and expect him to be as good as Dave/Taylor which is no mean feat. Remember that Dave re recorded the whole of The Colour & The Shape because he wasn’t happy with the drumming. 

Sadly, I agree with all of this. They were more than just band mates, I think the void left by Taylor would be too difficult to replace - he's been an integral part of the band for 25 years. I could see Dave eventually moving into more of a producer type role - he co-wrote Liam Gallaghers new track so it wouldn't surprise me to see him doing work behind the scenes with other artists.

we say this every time something like happens, in recent times Slipknot continued, Avenged Sevenfold continued. i feel more bands continue than do not. it will take time. but law of averages show that they are more likely to play again than not. 

It doesn’t seem in Dave’s nature at all to pack it in. Sure Taylor was more than just the drummer and it’ll take a while to get over him not being there, but I’m almost certain they’ll continue in some capacity, even if it ends up being a last run of shows to honour his memory (although I think they’ll continue well beyond that), and I’m sure they’ll have no shortage of drummer mates ringing the phone offering to step in. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It doesn’t seem in Dave’s nature at all to pack it in. Sure Taylor was more than just the drummer and it’ll take a while to get over him not being there, but I’m almost certain they’ll continue in some capacity, even if it ends up being a last run of shows to honour his memory (although I think they’ll continue well beyond that), and I’m sure they’ll have no shortage of drummer mates ringing the phone offering to step in. 

Yep I agree that it's a bigger lost than Kurt probably ever was to Dave but the guy is kind of a workaholic and there are a lot of people who depend on them for employment etc. I can see them maybe taking a long time to come back from it but I would be surprised if they didn't come back from this. 

I have no doubt that they will continue. Taylor has left a huge gap to fill and is ultimately irreplaceable, but I don’t believe he’d want the band to end, and I think Dave would honour that. I do expect the new drummer to have history with a known band.

if the Stones can carry on without Charlie, then Foos can do the same. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah very sad.....sounds like he knew he couldn't keep pushing and tried to get affirmation and support to ease off the gas but it didn't come.  Typically he then pushed on to avoid conflict in the band and not to let anyone down....with tragic results.

There's no shame in downing tools when you feel and know it's hurting you....pretty salient elsewhere at present I think.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Intriguing.

I never doubted the band would play again, and this is a nice way to get back out there and pay their respects. I imagine a roster of drummers will sit in, as well as some other singers and guitarists for songs. Also a decent supporting undercard.

Any guesses as to who may turn up? Josh Homme? Alanis Morisette?

4 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Gonna be one hot ticket this. Tempted to try despite not even being the biggest Foos fan these days as it’s sure to be a hell of a show. Soft booked a hotel room nearby just in case that I’ll undoubtedly be getting rid of immediately as I see ticket prices and/or they sell out in ten seconds.

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Intriguing.

I never doubted the band would play again, and this is a nice way to get back out there and pay their respects. I imagine a roster of drummers will sit in, as well as some other singers and guitarists for songs. Also a decent supporting undercard.

Any guesses as to who may turn up? Josh Homme? Alanis Morisette?

Surely not Homme. 

Macca surely odds on, and Rick Astley would be fun. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Gonna be one hot ticket this. Tempted to try despite not even being the biggest Foos fan these days as it’s sure to be a hell of a show. Soft booked a hotel room nearby just in case that I’ll undoubtedly be getting rid of immediately as I see ticket prices and/or they sell out in ten seconds.

Seen them 8 times so will be trying to get one , had tickets to seem them in July 

it’s going to be tough to get them 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I've booked a hotel, not close by at all but they are all either sold or crazy prices.