What's your favourite day of the festival?

kalifire

What's your favourite day of the festival?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite day of the festival?

• Tuesday (pre-opening)
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday

Oddly, the Wednesday. When I think about the excitement of Glastonbury, I think back to the excitement of that moment you've set up your tent in the sun and collapse back into your camping chair for that first swig of cider with the whole weekend ahead of you.

I also love it because of the all the exploring and feel-good moments when you come across your old favourite places. And there's always one person whose first time it is. I love taking them up to the Glastonbury sign (the rule being they're not allowed to turn around until they get to the top of the hill)> Then, when they turn around, the look of awe on their face as they try and drink it all in.

And all the wacky and random performers you get on the Wednesday. Some truly special moments happen that day.

Got to be Thursday for us. If I remember we walked over 20 miles round the site just dipping in and out of all the fields , eating drinking and taking in the whole incredible atmosphere of the festival.   I reckon for newbies the Wednesday will be the best. That feeling of experiencing it for the first time and the fantastic assault on all your senses is just unbeatable. 

On experience so far I would say Friday, but we're getting there on Wednesday this year for the first time ever so am looking forward to trying it out for size!

Can we reassess in early July on this thread? 

Any day but Sunday really.  My 2 main states of being by Sunday are either a bit glum it's nearly all over for another year or absolutely destroyed energy levels and the thought of dragging everything offsite and home again.  There have been a couple of years however where that Glastonbury magic has all come together and ended the festival on a massive high (and thankfully one of those was the last festival, which at least gave me magical memories to cling to these past years).

10 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Probably a weird choice, but I like it late on the Sunday, when there's a melancholy sadness, but a real sense of, 'wow, what a fantastic few days'. You have the experience in your head, and you're ready to carry it with you out into the real world.

I know the feeling of 'wouldn't it be great if life was like this back in the real world?'

• Upvote 1

If it’s sunny one then nothing beats sitting up on the hill early evening on Wednesday, having a few drinks looking over the site and watching everyone filter up there, the excitement is palpable. I think Thursday just shades it though because Wednesday you’ve had you’re explore and got yourself settled, but Thursday is about having a good time but with absolutely no pressure about where you need to be. It’s just wonderful. You can go where you want see what you want and it doesn’t matter, you’re not missing anything anywhere else that you’re aware of, you’re just going with the flow. You don’t know where you’ll end up and it’s just brilliant.

Obviously Friday-Sunday are great and ultimately what the festival is about, but there is always a pressure to be somewhere to watch someone, plus the added elements of guilt and fomo if you miss someone you wanted to see. Everyone is also obviously facing the stages watching the music, so the dynamic from Wednesday/Thursday completely changes. You enjoy watching certain acts and that is where your enjoyment comes from, rather than enjoying the actual festival itself like you do on Wednesday/Thursday.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Wednesday for me.  It only takes 1 beer after the horrendous walk/climb etc to forget.

Then I'm just grinning ear to ear knowing what's to come.  Waiting for all my buddies to arrive.  

Planning my next few days

Camp feels quieter as well before the crowds get in on Friday etc.

I just love it

13 hours ago, clarkete said:

My favourite day is whatever day it says on that newly purchased coach ticket, thanks lovely efesters...

@crazyfool1 @vintagelaureate @mjfiddy @MetaKate @Keverton thanks to all of you, I wouldn't be going without you x

Love it! - Can i choose yesterday as one of my favourite festival days for the sheer community spirit, only to be overtaken by this Sunday 😉

This year it's going to have to be Friday as my favourite day... but that's also because it's my birthday - i'm already scared of the how i'll be feeling on day 2 of my 34th year 

homer simpson GIF

Wednesday for me, a first walk round, no rush for acts, meeting up with mates and other eFesters, that feeling of "wow, yeah, it's really happening..." and "Hi, who are you looking forward to seeing?"

26 minutes ago, mjfiddy said:

Love it! - Can i choose yesterday as one of my favourite festival days for the sheer community spirit, only to be overtaken by this Sunday 😉

This year it's going to have to be Friday as my favourite day... but that's also because it's my birthday - i'm already scared of the how i'll be feeling on day 2 of my 34th year 

homer simpson GIF

He he, well the Friday will be my birthday, which since the mid 80s has usually fallen during the festival. 

Of course you already know that you've metaphorically baked and iced my cake in that respect, but I think of being in your 30s as being like the prime of life - not the wheezy husk of a man I've become since 😊

For me it’s the Friday, The Wednesday takes care of it’s self with travelling and getting set up, Thursday is great for a wander but always seems too busy at the areas where there is some music, Friday is where it levels it’s self out and where the festival comes alive!

Got to be the Wednesday for me. Lugging your stuff through the festival absolutely done in, crack that first cold one. Pitch up. Then go for a little wander. Sit on the Glastonbury hill or stone circle and say.. it’s only f*cking Wednesday. And then waking up on Thursday and saying, we did it again didn’t we? We hit it too hard on the first night. 

So going by current results there's a larger % who prefer the "non-music" days of Weds & Thurs to when the music properly starts Fri on wards.

Testament to the festival and all it has to offer isn't it. What a truly beautiful place it really is main stages aside.

For me my favourite day has been and always will be a Wednesday. 

Having the outside world completely shut off means that it's the only time all of my friends due to work / kids / life etc. have nowhere to be other than in the moment.

It can be weeks or months between seeing each other and even longer for us all to be in the same place at the same time (something which hasn't happened since the last festival!) without that nagging feeling that you have to clock watch or be reserved because you've got something on tomorrow.

Sitting on the grass, sharing stories, catching up and laughing is priceless.

17 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Friday, always wake up feeling horrendous on Thursday so never enjoy it as much until quite a bit later in the day

Friday all the music starts up

Saturday you're dreading sunday as its the 2nd to last day of the festival

Sunday is the last day so I get sad

Remind me never to spend any time around you at the fest, 75% of the time you sound like a miserable bastard! 🤣

• Thanks 1

I should probably add that the amount of times I've not made sunset on the Wednesday is not even worth thinking about.

Every year "keep your s**t together, pace yourself, it isn't a race"

Only to find myself zig zagging up the hill outside PGC clutching a half eaten toastie like my life depends on it at 9pm.

35 minutes ago, clarkete said:

He he, well the Friday will be my birthday, which since the mid 80s has usually fallen during the festival. 

Of course you already know that you've metaphorically baked and iced my cake in that respect, but I think of being in your 30s as being like the prime of life - not the wheezy husk of a man I've become since 😊

so you're saying we are Birthday buddies too?! wow.

Yeah nice when the 24th falls on a festival day... i think my highlight was when Dave Grohl sang happy birthday to me in 17' - well... at least i took it as personally, and i did have to rewatch the set to check it actually happened given the state of myself at the time 🙃 - but it did! and what a cracking set.

and i can only hope i get to your record of consecutive festivals!

Edited by mjfiddy