Toilet

richard10012

Have you seen Trainspotting?

But seriously, the longdrops range from "not that bad" to "utterly disgusting," depending on location and time of day.  They are cleaned regularly enough.  The urinals start out pretty clean and degrade over the course of the festival as the ground below gets soaked and people throw cans in the troughs.

I believe there are flushing toilets in a few locations.  There are definitely different types of toilets, such as compost toilets, some of which may be cleaner than others.  You can also seek out remote toilets like locations at the back of campsites or stay at an offsite campsite with better facilities.

There are no more flushing toilets on main site - it’s either the long drops which are open roofed or compost toilets. No portaloos except in campervan fields. There are also both male urinals and female shee pees.  To be honest if they have recently been cleaned which they are more frequently nowadays then they are fine. If you try and go just after a main band has played they will be gross and a long queue. Best tip is if you are passing a loo just been cleaned or no/short queue then take the opportunity! Have tissues /bio degradable wipes handy if case it needs a tidy up😀 Top tip -get a small empty hand sanitizer bottle and fill with liquid hand soap so you can wash hands with soap and water afterwards. 

• Upvote 1

The provision of toilets in the campervan fields is a joke, minging portaloos that aren’t emptied often enough, and there isn’t enough of them. Considering the extra £150 we pay they should be better. Not every live in vehicle has a toilet. 

There's something quite cathartic about sitting in a long drop. A gentle breeze lapping over the nethers as the sun warms your head.........A much more pleasant memory than sitting on a cold wet wooden seat having a shat whilst being drenched with rain......And then there's the aromas!

The long drops can be a bit gross out at first, but when you gotta go you gotta go. 

I will vouch for the compost toilets though. They're individual closed off cubicles that are raised up a few steps. Each has their own actual toilet seat as well. 

There's a big bag of soil outside (usually) and you take a cup in with you, do your business and pour the soil over it. This means everything is covered up and there really aren't any smells as such at all.

A toilet is a toilet in Glastonbury, the Wednesday they aren’t too bad but as you can imagine as the week goes on the smell gets more intense. Top tip. The more booze you drink the less bothered you are about the smell and the toilet in general 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, richard10012 said:

How bad are the toilets at Glastonbury? Are there any flushing toilets and portaloo? I always wanted to go to Glastonbury but just so worried about the toilets.

Put it this way @richard10012, over the course of the festival you could well see 10012 Richard the Thirds.

ps    Best not to look down if you're an incy wincy bit squeamish 😉

I wish Glastonbury had less long drops and more composters. They really are the way forward.

Appreciate they already built a lot of permanent infrastructure for long drops though. Long drops really are on the way out at a lot of other festivals these days though.

To be honest I think the toilet situation is much better than before. If you can avoid the Railway track long drops and the tiny urinals at the top of the park you'll be ok. Very impressed with the cleanliness of the long drops at the top of Williams Green, for such a busy area I thought they'd be awful but they seemed to be cleaned very regularly. As for the campsites expect to see more compost toilets which really are superb as long as there is enough sawdust left on the Sunday!

I f you are a newbie, I'd suggest getting your fist LD visit done early just to get it out of your system so to speak.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

To be honest I think the toilet situation is much better than before. If you can avoid the Railway track long drops and the tiny urinals at the top of the park you'll be ok. Very impressed with the cleanliness of the long drops at the top of Williams Green, for such a busy area I thought they'd be awful but they seemed to be cleaned very regularly. As for the campsites expect to see more compost toilets which really are superb as long as there is enough sawdust left on the Sunday!

I f you are a newbie, I'd suggest getting your fist LD visit done early just to get it out of your system so to speak.

🤣

I have only ever been a CV East dweller and as already said if you are able to use theirs after they have been cleaned first thing they are absolutely ideal... Granted they appear NOT to be cleaned on Monday morning and so are a right state (with everyone heading back to cars)

If I have a need on-site (Fri-Sun).. then i head to the compost numbers at the bottom of the Sacred Space. Perfectly clean and tranquil

Shewee aside men have it easier, as they also have a bunch of urinals which can be nipped into quickly and are mostly OK.

Otherwise as others have said the compost loos are much nicer.

How did Joe Lycett put it? 

I think it was "anytime you find yourself taking a shit on another person's shit you have to question your life choices"

I can't speak for anyone else but (aside from illness or chemicals) that's not something I'd have to do too many times and as if you go in a pub loo which isn't pleasant, it certainly makes you take care of business and get out swiftly.

Just make sure you have one of those packs of tissues or wet wipes.

Edited by clarkete

It’s really not a big deal if you ask me, everyone has to shit after all. To me the Glastonbury long drops are iconic, I’d hate it if they were ever removed completely. The fact that they’re open is what makes them so great, portaloos might be more private but they’d be absolutely grim at the same time. Everyone using the long drops is there to do the same thing, nobody gives a shit that you’re having a shit so to speak. I’ve seen some horrible sights in some of them, but in the main they’re normally in a good state.

The loos really aren’t that bad. Getting rid of the blue portaloos was good. Composters are usually fine. Long drops can be hit & miss but NONE of them should be deciding factors on whether you should go or not. 

I think this is all mostly down to the media. They only talk about headliners, weather and toilets.

Don’t let those fools get in your head.

Edited by dogeggs

20 hours ago, plot2pot said:

That’s all any of us really talk about if we’re being honest! 😂

Maybe!!

It's all people ever used to ask me about in the office (back when I worked in an actual office). Always 'how do you manage with the dodgy toilets'? Which always staggered me as the loos in the office were WAY worse than the grimmest of any festival loo I've been in.