Tips for Securing a Ticket: Resale Edition

leonaves

Just now, gazzared said:

that sounds brillaint 👍 can it be used on mobile phones because thats where I struggle to hit any letters/numbers that i want to hit haha

I'm sure it can be done although I think when I looked into it it was more hassle than it was worth. The ease of installing a Chrome extension on a desktop makes it a real must-have for me.

6 minutes ago, gazzared said:

that sounds brillaint 👍 can it be used on mobile phones because thats where I struggle to hit any letters/numbers that i want to hit haha

Yeah. On iPhones you go Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement. Not sure about other phones but presumably similar.

Actually annoying throughout the year as if I ever type, say, r1 or p1 it autocorrects to it and I sit there baffled for a second before realising why.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Isn't there a reload technique which means it essentially creates a new session. It's called like hard refresh or something

There's a chance I'm making this up

Hard refresh clears your cache but not your cookies. You can manually clear your cookies by opening dev tools in chrome, going to the application tab and clicking this button:

1125131528_Screenshot2022-03-23at21_21_34.thumb.png.56bd585f86f9988428b255f066fd111f.png

But the goal isn't to have new session every refresh, it's that you want multiple concurrent sessions, to spread your attempts across multiple backends. Hence the advice of multiple browsers, chrome profiles, using incognito and non-incognito.

Edited by leonaves

8 minutes ago, leonaves said:

Hence the advice of multiple browsers, chrome profiles, using incognito and non-incognito.

When you say chrome profiles, do you mean for example, I have 3 different google accounts/profiles (1 personal & 2 business) so having a separate browser open on each account/profile? 

Think I missed the incognito/ non-incognito thing too. 

9 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

When you say chrome profiles, do you mean for example, I have 3 different google accounts/profiles (1 personal & 2 business) so having a separate browser open on each account/profile? 

Think I missed the incognito/ non-incognito thing too. 

Bingo

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Another tip if anyone is using windows. You can Ctrl+C each registration and postcode data before hand. Then just use Windows+V to access your devices clipboard and you can quickly paste everything from there. 

Saves seconds selecting each one then copying.

Great tip, for those on Mac you can download FlyCut (free) which does the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Another tip if anyone is using windows. You can Ctrl+C each registration and postcode data before hand. Then just use Windows+V to access your devices clipboard and you can quickly paste everything from there. 

Saves seconds selecting each one then copying.

There's a number of similar things discussed in other threads, but this one was mentioned by @gigpusher

Add the plug in to chrome then define /r1 for reg1 /p1 for postcode1 or whatever

If you have the same chrome profile on another box they become available there too. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/text-blaze/idgadaccgipmpannjkmfddolnnhmeklj

On 3/23/2022 at 12:13 AM, leonaves said:

A few tips for everyone trying this week. First, a coach specific note:

In the general sale:

Applicable to all:

• The rate limit is 60 refreshes per second and this is per IP. So the more people you have on the same internet connection the more you eat into that. For example 4 people sharing an outbound IP may be limited to 15 refreshes per second each.
  • I say "may" as there are at least 5 load balancing servers, each of which enforce the rate limit independently. If each device on the same connection happens to be connected to a different backend server, they will not infringe on each other's limit. As far as I can tell, the traffic is balanced between these servers simply using DNS round robin, which means when your browser requests glastonbury.seetickets.com, it will get one of 5 IP addresses. But due to caching (and probably cookie-based affinity) if you then refresh, you will then hit the same server every time. The thing to note about this is that most people on the same connection are going to be hitting the same load balancer in typical situations as DNS resolutions are typically cached at the router. You could probably get very involved and manually configure devices to hit a specific IP, but I would say the best middle-ground is to ensure each device on the same connection is not going to the router for DNS resolution. There are instructions on how to set up cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 resolver directly on devices here: https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/setup/
  • Use as many internet connections as possible. So, if your friends are all planning on coming together to one location to try, that's probably a worse approach than everyone staying at home. If you are in a situation where you have many people on the same network trying (such as an office environment), your best bet is to use a mobile device / tether, as your mobile connection has its own outbound IP and therefore its own independent rate limit.
  • Auto-refresh extensions are fine. Popular belief is that these extensions might get your ticket cancelled. I have never heard of this happening and I can't see how it would be detectable. If you use these extensions, you will improve your chances as you can have multiple browsers refreshing and looking for the desired text on the page. I'd recommend this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus-page-mo/hgeljhfekpckiiplhkigfehkdpldcggm?hl=en as it lets you look for text on the page and stop refreshing. I would probably look for the word "registration" as there is a form on the final page that asks for your registration number, and the holding page has never said anything about that. But you can pretty quickly change that if the holding page does end up triggering it.
  • Don't use multiple browser windows, but do use multiple browsers/sessions. Multiple windows in chrome all share the same session cookies. You risk messing up your order if you have multiple windows open especially with extensions. Plus, if session affinity for the load balancers is done with cookies, each window will definitely be hitting the same backend and therefore sharing the same rate limit. Try instead opening, for example, a chrome window, a firefox window, a safari window, etc. You can also use chrome incognito mode, as that has a separate store of cookies to the main chrome profile, and if you want to go even further you can add named profiles to chrome which also have their own set of cookies. But note that browser extensions are per profile, and need to be enabled to work in incognito mode in settings, if you're planning on using extensions to refresh each of these, you'll need to be prepared.

These are probably all the tips I know that may not be well known but obviously there are plenty of other posts out there about generally being prepared, having a spreadsheet ready, and making sure you are not attempting to purchase for a registration that already has a ticket, as that screws up the order and locks all the registrations out for 10 minutes.

Oh and good luck!

Thanks for the advice here. 

Can anyone tell me how that last part works?  The bit about being locked out for 10 mins?

Does it just mean that if I’ve already got my ticket (paid for and confirmed) that if any of my friends helping in other locations try and get me a ticket, they’ll be locked out for 10 mins? None of my helpers are trying for themselves so it won’t matter to them if that’s the case.

Thanks

Edited by Glasto resale 22

14 minutes ago, Glasto resale 22 said:

Thanks for the advice here. 

Can anyone tell me how that last part works?  The bit about being locked out for 10 mins?

Does it just mean that if I’ve already got my ticket (paid for and confirmed) that if any of my friends helping in other locations try and get me a ticket, they’ll be locked out for 10 mins? None of my helpers are trying for themselves so it won’t matter to them if that’s the case.

Thanks

No it means that if you time out you can’t get back in to try using those registrations for 10 mins … so don’t time out at the payment stage … you have a timer counting down 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

No it means that if you time out you can’t get back in to try using those registrations for 10 mins … so don’t time out at the payment stage … you have a timer counting down 

Ok thanks. How long is the timer? And could you be locked out if you get to the payment page and it crashes after you enter details and click pay?

1 minute ago, Glasto resale 22 said:

Ok thanks. How long is the timer? And could you be locked out if you get to the payment page and it crashes after you enter details and click pay?

Usually 5 but think it might be 6 mins  this year .second one I’m not 100% but think you are supposed to hit the back button 

40 minutes ago, Glasto resale 22 said:

Also, any registrations they tried to purchase tickets for in the same order will be locked out for 10 minutes! Very important. You can screw other people by getting your own ticket and not telling everyone who is trying for you.

• Auto-refresh extensions are fine. Popular belief is that these extensions might get your ticket cancelled. I have never heard of this happening and I can't see how it would be detectable. If you use these extensions, you will improve your chances as you can have multiple browsers refreshing and looking for the desired text on the page. I'd recommend this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus-page-mo/hgeljhfekpckiiplhkigfehkdpldcggm?hl=en as it lets you look for text on the page and stop refreshing. I would probably look for the word "registration" as there is a form on the final page that asks for your registration number, and the holding page has never said anything about that. But you can pretty quickly change that if the holding page does end up triggering it.

Not sure if I'm being stupid but I'd installed this extension and set everything up. However, it is not clear how to set it so that it actually stops refreshing once it's found the key word on the page? It just gives options to notify you but nothing more?

2 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Not sure if I'm being stupid but I'd installed this extension and set everything up. However, it is not clear how to set it so that it actually stops refreshing once it's found the key word on the page? It just gives options to notify you but nothing more?

It doesn't need a key word. Once you're on the booking page you can refresh it, you'll still be on it. I'm pretty sure once your on it you can even click the page backwards and forwards buttons and you'll still be able to access it fine. You can turn the refresh off when your on the page, but you don't need super fast fingers to disable it before it refreshes again. It will be fine.

1 minute ago, Miyn said:

It doesn't need a key word. Once you're on the booking page you can refresh it, you'll still be on it. I'm pretty sure once your on it you can even click the page backwards and forwards buttons and you'll still be able to access it fine. You can turn the refresh off when your on the page, but you don't need super fast fingers to disable it before it refreshes again. It will be fine.

Ah yes, of course. Feels like a long time since I had to do this...

1 hour ago, leonaves said:

Also, any registrations they tried to purchase tickets for in the same order will be locked out for 10 minutes! Very important. You can screw other people by getting your own ticket and not telling everyone who is trying for you.

Yeah. We have a WhatsApp group so as soon as one pair has tickets we let each other know straight away to avoid that 

1 hour ago, Joshuwarr said:

It will stop, try testing it on a page even with fixed text, it'll refresh once and immediately stop.

1 hour ago, Miyn said:

I'm not confident this is true (it might be but I'm not 100%, I have a feeling you might only be safe once you have gotten to the page with the timer, after the registration form)

Edited by leonaves

Is "registration" good as the key word for this?  I guess(hope) I will find out tonight unless anyone knows for sure.  Tension building! 

42 minutes ago, leonaves said:

It will stop, try testing it on a page even with fixed text, it'll refresh once and immediately stop.

So I set the default time interval to 1 second and on the autostart page I put in a URL but then when I open it...it just keeps refreshing every second rather than doing it once

Apologies- total n00b question here, but is it important/necessary to be logged in to your Glastonbury/See Tickets account before the link goes live later?

If so, can you point me in the direction of where this would be in the Glasto site? See Tickets is all good. 

9 minutes ago, LABoxers said:

Apologies- total n00b question here, but is it important/necessary to be logged in to your Glastonbury/See Tickets account before the link goes live later?

If so, can you point me in the direction of where this would be in the Glasto site? See Tickets is all good. 

No. Just click on the Glastonbury See tickets link and keep refreshing  have your registration details ready

• Like 1