Turning up Sunday/Monday - tell us all, workers!

irnkrtn

It will be my first time ever working Glastonbury. I am incredibly excited. I've been as a punter for over 20 years and can't wait to see it from the other angle.

We'll be turning up Sunday most likely. If you've worked and turned up early, tell us all about it. What do you do on site? What bars are open? I'll be in my van - will we be able to get off site on the Monday to go food shopping? Please share your top tips.

For (Staff) Bars - some will be open Sunday, most will be open Monday and Tuesday. That tends to mean in the evenings - about 6pm or so onwards. I'm sure you've heard mention of the main culprits - Arcadia, Block 9, Shangri La, Unfairground, Acoustic, JazzWorld, T+C. Once you get to those areas, it's just a matter of following your ears because during build days they'll be the only things on site making any significant noise. Then remember where they are, because once gates open you won't be able to hear them anymore and so it can feel totally different. Some of those may be selective as to who they let in at any given moment, and I assume you've heard the "ask for a wristband" advice before as entry rules can change as more people arrive on site and especially once gates open.

During the day there's not actually a lot to do as while there's a decent number of people on site (with most staff arriving across those 3 days) they'll have jobs to do and there's a 99% chance that the build will be behind schedule at that point. So if you're not involved in the build then relax, walk around, maybe take a book or something.

In terms of being able to get the van off site - we can't really answer that as it's likely to be more down to local decisions and potentially not even decided in advance. The Festival will let you go out and back in if you have an appropriate pass for that day (which will be allocated locally), but it's generally asked that you only make necessary vehicle movements. The people running your crew campsite may have a stricter policy - depending on how much space they have (and many areas don't have enough), and how they manage the campsite, it's quite possible that you're effectively blocked in until the festival is over.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SGS said:

If you have a vehicle pass remember first entrance has to be at worthy farm entrance  they are going to go through your car looking for glass and then you get another wrist band and a sticker on your car, some H&S chat etc etc. After that one I come in through vehicle gate off Orange (vehicle gate D I think)  .

Note that a couple of the volunteer organisations have different arrangements for arrival / wristbanding - Oxfam volunteers come in through purple route for example, as we have our crew camping outside of the fence.

This is amazing info, thank you so much! I'll be dishing out the egg sarnies and bacon baps at the Childrens World Cafe. So excited to work - I've very much got to the point where the lineup is secondary to just having a wander round and seeing where I end up, so being able to work as well is going to be really interesting, and will be working with some great people I don't get to spend enough time with so really looking forward to that too.

We are definitely able to take the van to camp - I wasn't very clear was I, we are taking the campervan - but no idea what type of pass that's going to involve yet, but I do already have my shifts which is cracking. I only want to do a food shop so seems most sensible to swing by Morrisons in Glastonbury first of all on our way in and then get settled for a relax and some set up! The idea of not having to move the van for a week sounds brilliant.

Look forward to seeing you all down on the farm in only a few weeks now!!!

Edited by irnkrtn

If you're based in the area behind Childrens World, then I'd work to the assumption that once you arrive you won't be able to move the van again until the Festival is over. Looking at aerial photos from the last couple years, it looks pretty tight back there with most of the vans being effectively boxed in.

This is fairly common for crew areas, especially smaller ones based in prime real estate.

image.png.4cfbb159e263ce9772004d6ff0472c7c.png
(Photo from 2016)

1 hour ago, incident said:

If you're based in the area behind Childrens World, then I'd work to the assumption that once you arrive you won't be able to move the van again until the Festival is over. Looking at aerial photos from the last couple years, it looks pretty tight back there with most of the vans being effectively boxed in.

This is fairly common for crew areas, especially smaller ones based in prime real estate.

(Photo from 2016)

Where can you get such a high res photo? Is it Google earth? 

27 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Where can you get such a high res photo? Is it Google earth? 

I grabbed it off the internet before the Festival requested it was taken down. Google Earth does have more recent years, but nowhere near that resolution unfortunately.

This thread has really ramped up excitement. It’ll also be my first year working it which is bucket list thing for me. Won’t quite believe it until I’m there though.

Taking the camper and will be located up by The Park, and was asked this week if I could get there on the Saturday afternoon to get set up ready to start on Sunday… so the above info from @SGS is really useful 😊 I’m buzzin! 

• Like 1

It's my first year working as well! I've never worked a festival before. Will be my 5th Glasto. I'll be stewarding for Oxfam. Just wondering if I was going to bring some stuff for my pals who are attending as punters, is this feasible? Is there an easy way for me to get their stuff out of the Oxfam area? I'm guessing there's no way they will be able to get near my car if its parked in the Oxfam area? Much appreciated!! (To be clear, I mean things like booze, not anything untoward!)

11 minutes ago, EMorgz92 said:

It's my first year working as well! I've never worked a festival before. Will be my 5th Glasto. I'll be stewarding for Oxfam. Just wondering if I was going to bring some stuff for my pals who are attending as punters, is this feasible? Is there an easy way for me to get their stuff out of the Oxfam area? I'm guessing there's no way they will be able to get near my car if its parked in the Oxfam area? Much appreciated!! (To be clear, I mean things like booze, not anything untoward!)

You'll be parked in Purple 4 probably. They'll be able to get in - by the time the festival is over there'll likely be some public cars parked there anyway as after the initial arrival rush they start sending cars to wherever there's spaces rather than worry about the public/staff distinction. So they can visit to retrieve their stuff - just it might be a fair walk from where they're camped.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 5:38 AM, incident said:

(Photo from 2016)

This is some SERIOUSLY excellent research, thank you! We've decided we anyway don't want to move once we've done the journey so will swing round to a shop first of all, get the awning up and relax! 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:46 AM, irnkrtn said:

It will be my first time ever working Glastonbury. I am incredibly excited. I've been as a punter for over 20 years and can't wait to see it from the other angle.

We'll be turning up Sunday most likely. If you've worked and turned up early, tell us all about it. What do you do on site? What bars are open? I'll be in my van - will we be able to get off site on the Monday to go food shopping? Please share your top tips.

Our crew of stewards start to arrive from Sunday (prob. Sat this year) in the T&C crew area where I think you'll be. Worth bearing in mind if you go offsite or arrive late Sun, the site is locked down from (I think) 10pm - 6am so no vehicles can get in/out.

• Like 1