Standon Calling 2022

gregory

Just went on the Sunday, but loved it. So relaxed, everyone in a great mood, excellent music - and the weather helpd of course!

Self Esteem, Dry Cleaning and Ezra Furman were great. Sigrid and Bjorn Again were poptastic. Milton Jones in particular was a scream in the Lawn tent, which was useful to get out of the heat for a while. The only disappointment imo were Primal Screm. They didn't play the whole of Screamadelica as hoped, and instead the first half of the set, which started brilliantly with Swastika Eyes, was filled with obscurities and downers/political sloganeering which went on far too long. Completely inappropriate for a festival crowd, especially a family-friendly one like Standon. Though perhaps (being Primal Scream) that was the point. It was only the last half hour or so which perked up with some of the classics.

Looking forward to next year.

• Like 1

Aside from the teens totally fucked up on drugs all night in General Camping keeping us awake, what a lovely, well organised, well curated lineup, and friendly festival! Love the no-overlap of the 2 main stages, and how close they are. I literally didn't see a bad set all weekend I think, stuff I wouldn't usually listen to I still felt was really good quality and enjoyable. 

Very sad that as a result of the Dive Bar debacle, basically 25% of the live musical acts got cancelled, and not moved/rescheduled. Loved the design of the venue with the church like wood and the divey walls, hope it's back next year.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, gfa said:

Jamie XX is a pretty big get for them isn't he?

Solid start if those names come to be - standon is pretty near me

Guess we’ll find out this week anyway.  Lots of the other smaller fests have started pushing Christmas tickets so I’ve no doubt their lineups are in the coming weeks

10 hours ago, sisco said:

So looks like the lineup is imminent (although was meant to be a couple of weeks ago) as I’ve just received a lineup hint email.

Looks like Sam Ryder, Little Simz, Wet Leg, Jamie XX, Bloc Party and The Human League are likely to play 

Sam Ryder played this year didn't he? Doubt he'd be back so soon (assuming it's the playlist hint email)

REALLY want the Yeah Yeah Yeahs from that playlist!

Edited by cdm22

5 hours ago, cdm22 said:

Sam Ryder played this year didn't he? Doubt he'd be back so soon (assuming it's the playlist hint email)

REALLY want the Yeah Yeah Yeahs from that playlist!

It was the playlist and the newsletter that made me thought it would be him.  Guess we shall soon see 

13 hours ago, gregory said:

What did the email say?

Nothing too specific. Just a link to a playlist that includes some playing this year...

First, take a listen to our brand new 🎧 Feel Good Playlist 🎧 and see if you can spot any 2023 artists. They'll be hiding alongside acts from years gone by and just some of our favourites here at SCHQ...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of Standon having gone the last couple of years, and after wavering for a bit we're going again this year.

Have to say the comms are always rubbish with the Standon lot. From the madness around the rain in 2021 (the weather was out their hands, the comms not so), or the Dive Bar collapse this year, to just endlessly teasing this year's lineup "soon".

Maybe we're spoiled by technology in the 2020s (when I did Reading and Glastonbury in the early/mid 00s and V in the 90s as a younger person I probably had minimal official info before and during and just got on with it), but I'm an old man now and like to plan ahead!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, gregory said:

Lineup announced at 9am today.

Did anyone get the 'sneak peak' email?

Yeah it was the playlist that’s listed above. It contains previous artists their favs and some new ones for this year.  Looking at it YYY’s, Bob Vylan, Wet Leg and Little Simz seem likely 

I like Self Esteem and have heard that she's good live, but can someone explain how she's a headliner (and being touted for high up slots in other festivals)? Her newest album only charted at number 11 and she only has 200k Spotify listeners ? 

Edited by neved386
Typo, wrote chart instead of festivals
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, neved386 said:

I like Self Esteem and have heard that she's good live, but can someone explain how she's a headliner (and being touted for high up slots in other festivals)? Her newest album only charted at number 11 and she only has 200k Spotify listeners ? 

I’m as surprised as you.  I get she’s a big thing at the moment but she’s not even chief support for blur (below Slowthai).  

18 hours ago, neved386 said:

I was expecting her to be further up the lineup at festivals this year as she had grown in popularity but I never expecte to see her as a headliner at any sized festival.

On 12/2/2022 at 7:36 PM, neved386 said:

FWIW she was the very best thing of the entire festival for me closing Laundry Meadows last year, so I'm sure she'll be able to pull it off.

Overall I'm a bit 50/50 on the lineup so far. My usual thing is to give a fair whirl to everyone on the bill, and I happened on some new favourites that way in 2021 and 2022.

This year not so much... but there's a lot more to come between now and then so I'm happy to wait and see.

Acts with new stuff out/who are touring who I'd realistically love to see added (so no headliner-level stuff): Nuha Ruby Ra, Patrick Wolf, cheerbleederz, Mitski, Moldy Peaches, Vinny Peculiar, Porridge Radio, The Unthanks, Sea Power, Warpaint, The Staves, Regina Spektor, The Linda Lindas, Gwenno, Panic Shack, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Le Tigre, The Big Moon... and hopefully a few I've never heard of before who I give a listen to and fall in love with.

Edited by european_son

• 2 months later...

I’d also like to know a bit more about what Standon Calling is like.

I’m looking to go to a festival by myself and this one isn’t too far from where I live.

Two of the headliners aren’t really my cup of tea, but it looks like there’s a good variety of genres and upcoming/older stuff? 

13 hours ago, adequate8 said:

day splits announced, what is this fest like, guessing more like Wilderness than Green Man for example? Surprised it’s also dog friendly!

B5B508CE-7761-4741-8F60-EBE7791FC8E3.jpeg

Really good amount to keep me entertained here honestly. 

It's a good little festival - decent variety of music and comedy.  Big enough to get some big names, small enough to be able to get about easily.   Friendly crowd. Downsides are particularly expensive drinks.  I've been a few times and like it.

Never been sold on the idea of dogs being there, mostly seem to see stressed looking pooches at the back of crowds and the occasional one in a noisy tent looking really unhappy.

• 3 weeks later...