The kids

yehbutnobut

Been taking ours since they were 6 and 10 and no regrets. Did one year without (messy one) and missed having them there. This year they will be 20, 24, we have a family allnighter planned at block 9 if us oldies can manage it 😁

Some of our best shared memories are at the festival. They always rated glasto above Christmas, covered it in topics at school and we are so glad they got to experience the festival from a young age. Youngest has gone on to study global sustainability in further education and we think this is linked to glastonbury opening young eyes.

I think its best once they can remember personally, I couldn't handle babies there myself but fair play to those that can. kidz field is amazing for the wee ones. 

Edited by CurlyPutz
typo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I can't wait to take my two. The only reason I'm not taking them this year is because it's taken me since 2013 to get a ticket again!!! So it's just me and a friend this year so we can fully make the most of everything...late nights, dressing up, booze, raving. 

The Kids have come to latitude with us 4 years running now, they absolutely LOVE it. Glasto is going to blow their minds. They will be (nearly) 7 and (nearly) 9 next year. I've already got my name on the waiting list for the festival nannies for 2023 so we can have at least one night off. Haha. Hopefully the glasto gods will grant us tickets. 

• Like 1

We are fairly local and last time out we had our eldest who was only 4 months (now 3 years 4 months..), and we stayed in our caravan which was pretty easy going. We had him with us Tuesday - Friday morning before dropping him off with family at home. Our group of family & friends loved having him at the festival and pitched in helping find shade / holding him whilst ordering food / beer / toilet runs were done.

This year is going to be a whole new experience. Our family has grown and we now have 3 boys, 3 YO, 2YO & 5 month old. We can’t farm them out to family for the duration of the festival, so we’ve taken the decision to have them all in with us. Will be a totally different experience and a military operation. 2 x double pushchairs loaded with their bits, lots of trips to Greenpeace / Kids Field and the Theatre & Circus and hopefully everyone should be happy. I doubt we will be hugely mobile, but having the double push chairs and being able to split up should allow for us to try and catch some ‘must sees’ and hopefully for them to crash out in the evening 🤞🤞🤞

13 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

If they aren't school age take them - if they are school age they should be in school not pretending to have a "education" in a muddy field.

I regret not taking mine when they where young enough.

The thing is, missing one or two days of school to experience culture can help a child develop in a more rounded way, so I disagree. As a teacher, I can honestly say many of the more rounded and socially aware students I teach are the sort who have been allowed to have more varied cultural experiences, although obviously socio-economic factors come into this. Schools in general agree - it’s why school trips exist - missing a day of school to give students varied cultural experiences. Even the DfE agrees - the teachers standards say teachers have a responsibility to facilitate this sort of thing. Maybe if you had seen your children enjoying it you’d see things differently. 

11 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

Leave them at home until they are 16 mate. Dont be that 1 plonker off their tits dragging their toddlers around the naughty corner at 2am, every year you see it and every year i tell them they ought to take their kids back to their tent sharpish.

😮 a semi sensible post from you! 
I don’t agree with not taking kids at all - we are taking our 1.5 year old for a day this year, and I’d happily take her regularly once she’s 9/10 - but I do absolutely agree with not dragging them around late night venues when they are only there for the parents’ enjoyment. If you’re taking kids you have to accept you’re having a different experience of the festival and can’t necessarily do everything you normally would. 

51 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

My kids enjoy all sorts of things and a lot of the kid stuff at Glastonbury isn't unique to Glastonbury.

No real excuse to take them out.  My teacher wife agrees for context.

This teacher disagrees. I'm not saying it will or should be an authorised absence, but personally I'd be in favour and so would several colleagues. I also have several colleagues who'd disagree. My point is, it's the norm for schools to take students on trips for cultural experiences, therefore it can't be argued that missing school is unacceptable - it happens on the reg. In fact, my school is taking 100 students to the Hay Festival tomorrow instead of them doing lessons. 

I must say, I find it odd how anti-Glastonbury you regularly are, given you're a habitual poster on a festival forum.