Bar Prices predictions 2022

Jimmyjam1

7 hours ago, AmyShambles said:

We haven't had any trouble with card payments on site, was it a particular area? Average pint price has been £5.50 for me this weekend (mainly Vocation and Thornbridge) so expecting £6/£6.50 at Glastonbury.

It was quite a few good traders near where the green crafts area was. Bars were okay. 

2 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

It was quite a few good traders near where the green crafts area was. Bars were okay. 

I'm very surprised they were using Wifi, was there not a good 4g/5g network setup for it, such as EE?

A lot of decent modern PDQ systems use mobile data, our clover system has a sim card in each device that connects to the mobile network to process payments. We have 2 of the big clover pos systems, and 2 clover flex. The clover flex is a fully functioning epos and pdq in your hand that connects by mobile data. it allows us to take orders at tables in the garden, and take payments there and then, it was a godsend during covid restrictions. 

Most small vendors will be using Sumup or Zettle I would imagine, which (mostly) both piggy back off your phone's network connection, be that mobile or wifi. Although, even Sumup now offer a standalone device with a built in sim for mobile data... The Sumup Solo. 

Just got back from Bearded Theory which was immense as usual. Bars were by Vocation, Thornbridge, Magic Rock and others. Beers ranged from an amazing 4.50 up to 7.50 depending on ABV.

A Superb range with breakfast IPAs coming in at about a fiver and the big hitting 8%s coming in at 7.50.

I am still hoping / optimistic that the 6 quid pint of craft ale will be a Glastonbury reality

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

Just got back from Bearded Theory which was immense as usual. Bars were by Vocation, Thornbridge, Magic Rock and others. Beers ranged from an amazing 4.50 up to 7.50 depending on ABV.

A Superb range with breakfast IPAs coming in at about a fiver and the big hitting 8%s coming in at 7.50.

I am still hoping / optimistic that the 6 quid pint of craft ale will be a Glastonbury reality

Second this - loved the little micro bars dotted around (and the Vocation chocolate stout was something special) which would be great at Glastonbury.  All either cashless only or choice of cash or card.  Default position seemed to be cashless though.  Did go down once or twice but seemed pretty stable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Now this is the update i wanted 👍

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

The mobile network was even worse, was unable to get a connection most of the weekend

The lad who manages the Oxfam shop gave us a tip. Go onto your SIM and switch off the 4g and 5g autoconnect so the phone only polls the 3g network. I did it on Saturday and deffo seemed to improve connectivity. Or maybe I was pissed and didn't care anymore.

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

The mobile network was even worse, was unable to get a connection most of the weekend

Ahh so not really an issue at Glasto then with the massive temporary infrastructure they put in? Or am I expecting too much? 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Ahh so not really an issue at Glasto then with the massive temporary infrastructure they put in? Or am I expecting too much? 

5G network mast installed in the woods near JP and elsewhere on site.  Signal is always good at Glastonbury.  Some tin foil hatists are not so keen though.

Just now, Jay Pee said:

5G network mast installed in the woods near JP and elsewhere on site.  Signal is always good at Glastonbury.  Some tin foil hatists are not so keen though.

My 5g signal at home has been great ever since I got my booster chip installed in my arm. Was hoping to be eligible for the V4.0 upgrade, but it seems it really has been restricted to just the older elites. 😞 

Anywayyyyy.... Contactless payments "shouldn't" be an issue as long as the vendors have the right kit using the mobile network... 

On 5/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, Jay Pee said:

The lad who manages the Oxfam shop gave us a tip. Go onto your SIM and switch off the 4g and 5g autoconnect so the phone only polls the 3g network. I did it on Saturday and deffo seemed to improve connectivity. Or maybe I was pissed and didn't care anymore.

I tried this today at Slam Dunk and sadly did not make anything any better

5 minutes ago, Jimmyjam1 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jun/04/uk-beer-costs-soar-average-price-pint-tops-8-pounds-one-london-pub

Glasto prices (unfortunately) usually align up with London prices from my past experience 

To be fair that’s the average in one London pub, just like the £1.79 outlier in the NW (I wish they were all that cheap up here! Although my liver disagrees 😂).

The cheapest pint at Bearded was sub £5, and I was only paying I think a fiver or £5.50 for Old Rosie with a decent ABV, so my moneys on the average at Glasto being in the £5.50/6 region, probably hitting £7 in Avalon, and probably a fiver for Otter around and about. 

My glastobuddy of the past 12 years has devised an ingenious way of removing all anxiety about the price of booze at the festival.  The price of an average pint, whatever it might be in £, is ‘1 Pilton’.  Everything else can be converted at that rate.  A main meal is typically 1.6 Piltons, cocktails are normally around 2 Piltons, and so on.  And at the end of a riotous 5 days the total cost is invariably the same, about  50 Piltons.

The only one who fails to understand this New Economic Theory, strangely enough, is Mrs Chaz…

• Like 1

21 hours ago, theciderviking said:

To be fair that’s the average in one London pub, just like the £1.79 outlier in the NW (I wish they were all that cheap up here! Although my liver disagrees 😂).

The cheapest pint at Bearded was sub £5, and I was only paying I think a fiver or £5.50 for Old Rosie with a decent ABV, so my moneys on the average at Glasto being in the £5.50/6 region, probably hitting £7 in Avalon, and probably a fiver for Otter around and about. 

Reckon you’re spot on. Just can’t see them charging £8 for a pint of Carlsberg.

If it’s £8 a pint they can simply go and f themselves. I was up in Manchester for Liam and Etihad marked up to £6.50 for carlsberg. In town in the northern quarter it was 4/4.50 for actual good craft stuff. I don’t care what they say about prices going up. The mark up is based on where it’s sold to make more profit plain and simple.

21 hours ago, Jimmyjam1 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jun/04/uk-beer-costs-soar-average-price-pint-tops-8-pounds-one-london-pub

Glasto prices (unfortunately) usually align up with London prices from my past experience 

I reckon between £4.50 and £6.50 is normal in London that's just one ridiculous place. I joined the local social club in Walthamstow and can get a pint for £3.

• Upvote 1

Liam Gallagher at Knebworth was £6.50 carlsberg (up 50p) and £6.80 somersby (up 30p) - price increases from other live nation festivals last summer e.g. reading, latitude. not as bad as expected to be honest given inflation