Taking your own food - ideas?!

Stu H

Eating at the many stalls, as great as they are, can be an expensive business, especially with kids in tow.

Historically, I've taken a small camping stove which is great for soups, adding boiling water to packets or heating some ready-to-eat things.

Anyone have any food 'hacks'?!

A few of mine;

1. These aren't overly cheap, but super tasty and easily heated in boiling water; https://basecampfood.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&q=wayfarer 
  2. You can store milk for cereal for about 24 hours in the metal bottles without it going off - a godsend for easy breakfasts for my kids!
  3. If you buy BBQ meat on the Wed morning, it'll be fine to use on a disposable BBQ later that day without refrigeration (don't leave it too long though!)
  4. The usual high energy biscuits / snacks
  5. Bananas, oranges and apples will last the festival
  6. Anything that you can add water to, is a bonus! Noodles, that kind of thing.
  7. Pre-made sandwiches, pastas etc will see you through your first day.
  8. You can boil vegetables if you need that fix

If these all fail, cider is full of sugar. 😆

Just now, The Nal said:

You can buy all of those at the festival for pence. 

Yeah - especially with the Co-Op on site now, which I think makes the need to bring things in and then worry about how long they'll last less important given that it sells most core ingredients at approximately regular (Co-Op) prices.

So my tip to add would be: make sure you camp within easy access of the Co-Op.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu H said:

Eating at the many stalls, as great as they are, can be an expensive business, especially with kids in tow.

Historically, I've taken a small camping stove which is great for soups, adding boiling water to packets or heating some ready-to-eat things.

A few of mine;

1. These aren't overly cheap, but super tasty and easily heated in boiling water; https://basecampfood.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&q=wayfarer 
  2. You can store milk for cereal for about 24 hours in the metal bottles without it going off - a godsend for easy breakfasts for my kids!
  3. If you buy BBQ meat on the Wed morning, it'll be fine to use on a disposable BBQ later that day without refrigeration (don't leave it too long though!)

There's always cartons of UHT milk, if you can stand it?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's always cartons of UHT milk, if you can stand it?

UHT milk on a dairy farm with a co-op? Not for me, thanks 😂

I used to take camping stove/kettle etc but found I'd be more tempted to eat out than go back to the tent for a pot noodle.

I haven't done this at a festival but have while hiking - when you boil water for a cuppa in the morning, fill a thermos to take with you, then you can make your noodles/couscous/whatever on the go later in the day. 

2 hours ago, Stu H said:

A few of mine;

I always take bagels with jam and peanut butter and with that cheese in a tube for savory.

33 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Own brand versions of this are about 50p - these are my breakfast at the festival:

Quaker Oat So Simple Original Porridge Pot 45g 

Yes, this. If you're taking a stove then a boiled kettle will do these and your morning coffee, job's a good 'un. 🙂 Zero cleanup is a plus, although single-use plastic is not...

Tins of beans, spaghetti hoops, soup or whatever can be heated in their tins. Take the top off then sit it in a mess tin or small saucepan, top up to 1/2 - 2/3 the height of the can with boiled water then simmer for a while, stirring occasionally. Saves washing up a saucepan; also great if you're doing a couple of different things at once in the same pan. Make sure you've got a tea towel or something so you don't burn your hand taking them out though!

Homemade trail mix - nuts, fruit etc - is much nicer and healthier than what you can buy.

I've never found a satisfactory way to make toast on a camp stove (Unless you're taking one of those giant camping stoves with a grill underneath; if so, good luck carrying that in... 😐). Fried bread is a much better option, best with butter but oil will do.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Ruddy love a post-drinking, early morning, Tesco finest croissant. Although, if you can find some that are individually wrapped that’s better.

I need morning pastry.

Freshly baked ones on site! 

• Upvote 1

IF we get a ticket and IF we can get a campervan pass to go with it, we will have the luxury of a cooker and fridge, so really looking forward to breakfasts on the farm. 

18 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Ruddy love a post-drinking, early morning, Tesco finest croissant. Although, if you can find some that are individually wrapped that’s better.

I've seen these ones lots of places recently: 

7 Days Croissant with Cocoa Filling M?? 80g

I also love a pitch brioche.

Brioche Pasquier Pitch Chocolate : Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

It’s not a cost saving exercise but I always have to bring some Huel or Grenade bars or something similar for when I wake up. I’m a terrible eater when I’ve been on the booze and I’ll often lose a bit of weight (usually a bit of muscle unfortunately) at something like a festival or stag do if I don’t force myself to eat. They’re easy to eat, I’ll normally have a couple so I know I’ve had about a third of my calorie requirement already, and will tide me over between waking up, and the inevitable several hours between then and getting everyone up, ready, and out and into a position to buy some actual real food.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton