The Beginner's Guide To Glastonbury Festival?

K2SO

12 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Totally agree with this, I was a bit disappointed in 2014 when I couldn’t get into the Baggy Mondays then in 15 went a good hour before and just had a couple of beers waiting for them to start. It’s great fun if you like 90s indie, always wanted to go back but there are always other things and being organised on the Thursday seems too much effort when it’s so much fun wherever you find yourself with random strangers chatting shit.

im actually very jealous of first timers as I’ll never get that again, but every time someone new joins our group they always love it. You will have the best time 

my other top top, don’t take things a stranger gives you in the Common at 3.30am when you have lost your mates in 2016!

Yeah first time I went in 2015 I was really disappointed with the festival come Thursday evening because of the crowds. I was pissed off how I'd missed a lot of the things I'd planned because of the crowds (also tired, drunk, and suffering sunstoke I think). I remember thinking this Glasto thing is gonna be a one off for me, how wrong I was haha. It's also a struggle the first time for some because you're there for the music and there's very little on comparatively.

Obviously come the next three days I had an amazing time and now five Glasto's on I'm wayyy more relaxed on those first couple of days. But I do sometimes get annoyed to miss stuff (for example I missed out on She Drew the Gun at the Crows Nest in 2019 that was annoying and couldn't get close to the WG secret sets).  

I haven't missed Baggy Mondays for the past four festivals though! It's one of the things I most look forward to! For me it's the only thing really worth the organisation on that day - I schedule everything around being at the Stonebridge haha.  

Send a Glastonbury postcard to friends & fam or just one to yourself, perhaps with a smear of mud (dry obv NFRNFC). When you get home a little chuckle about the condition you were in when you wrote it.

A frozen strawberry daiquiri and a dance at the rocket lounge. 

Ribbon tower at least once.

Sit on the hill and marvel at the festival beneath you. 

Edited by Levitz

Just now, Levitz said:

Send a Glastonbury postcard to friends & fam or just one to yourself, perhaps with a smear of mud (dry obv NFRNFC). When you get home a little chuckle about the condition you were in when you wrote it.

I did this back in 2019 sending a lovely memento to my now wife, in September it hadn't come through the postbox so thought it must have been lost in the post. Randomly, one afternoon walking down our street together to get an early evening cider, the missus looked down, saw a Glasto postcard on the pavement, picked it up to give it to whatever house it was supposed to go to, only to find my half cut scrawl on the back! 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rockandnoll said:

I did this back in 2019 sending a lovely memento to my now wife, in September it hadn't come through the postbox so thought it must have been lost in the post. Randomly, one afternoon walking down our street together to get an early evening cider, the missus looked down, saw a Glasto postcard on the pavement, picked it up to give it to whatever house it was supposed to go to, only to find my half cut scrawl on the back! 

Haha that's brilliant. It found it's way to you. 

54 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

That's The Magic Teapot. Previously in Green Craft Field but not returning there this year because it was deemed too noisy for that field. 

But....there will be TWO Magic Teapots at Glastonbury this year! Not sure where but I suspect maybe Avalon and  Green Futures.

One of my favourite venues. All acoustic musicians welcome and everyone else to join in the singalong. 

Somehow I've never seen this before! Will have to have a look out for it!

Baggy Monday's is an amazing Thursday night experience but it is a behemoth as well. I actually prefer it outside the tent, more space to breath and the atmosphere is still amazing. 

Also, Club de Fromage in William's Green, can't remember what night, but brilliant fun, and one of my absolute favs, even over the late night areas is after the headliners in Rock the Kasbah. Just banging tunes and a massive singalong/dancealong. 

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Magic Teapot update. 

One will be in Avalon and the other near the John Peel stage.

Honestly, well worth a visit. It has a huge place in my heart as it reminds me of the constant and wonderful accoustic jams at the free festivals of my youth. The beating heart of a festival.

This is what to look out for.

42460188_301194757137161_6249924220298461184_n.thumb.jpg.00ed93a4bac8cccb164c3cc69b251b90.jpg

Cool will definitely check these out. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

THIS, A HUNDRED TIMES THIS.

And if you're feeling particularly peckish, putting a white russian into a variety pack of cereal bulks it out a little bit and gives you all the vitamins and minerals a growing person needs.

I can't recommend enough having some vodka and kahlua on your person at all times.  Between there being many places to get iced coffee to make espresso martinis and milk to make white russians, you really can't go wrong.

I was planning on bringing 2l of tequila (that's my thing) but I might also bring this for some iced coffee goodness 😄

40 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Baggy Monday's is an amazing Thursday night experience but it is a behemoth as well. I actually prefer it outside the tent, more space to breath and the atmosphere is still amazing. 

Also, Club de Fromage in William's Green, can't remember what night, but brilliant fun, and one of my absolute favs, even over the late night areas is after the headliners in Rock the Kasbah. Just banging tunes and a massive singalong/dancealong. 

Latitude last year had club de fromage every night after the headliners - great fun

36 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Magic Teapot update. 

One will be in Avalon and the other near the John Peel stage.

Honestly, well worth a visit. It has a huge place in my heart as it reminds me of the constant and wonderful accoustic jams at the free festivals of my youth. The beating heart of a festival.

This is what to look out for.

42460188_301194757137161_6249924220298461184_n.thumb.jpg.00ed93a4bac8cccb164c3cc69b251b90.jpg

Have been to the festival 5 times and never came across this. Will defo keep an eye out for it!

47 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Kasbah is gone. Pretty sure it wasn’t there in 2019.

Used to go to Club de Fromage in Islington, was great silly fun. On that note, does anyone know if Wheel of 4 Tunes will be back?

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Kasbah is gone. Pretty sure it wasn’t there in 2019.

Used to go to Club de Fromage in Islington, was great silly fun. On that note, does anyone know if Wheel of 4 Tunes will be back?

Kasbah gone. No way. That is a real shame. I spent many a late night in there. Surely something else around there to replace it?

On 3/14/2022 at 10:38 PM, Simpo said:

I'm been thinking about this with someone in our group..

Instead of telling the first timer to come and do this thing or that thing, after you're set up and ready to go, place them at the front of your crew and say 'let's go'.

Stop at the places they want to stop, take an unexpected left turn when they feel like it, etc.

Discovery and exploration is such a cool part of a first glastonbury, and I'm thinking doing this will kinda recreate a bit of that feeling for the rest of us too.

That’s always one of my biggest pleasures for a Wednesday & Thursday. I’ve taken a whole bunch of newbies over the years and always let them decide to pick a direction and uncover stuff on their terms. It’s so much more fun than doing all the ‘guided tour’ stuff or giving directions…and you always run into something new at the same time. Its a right buzz. 

That is until it’s Friday and there’s a band on that we can’t miss - then interventions normally need to be made.

Edited by dogeggs

On 3/15/2022 at 1:50 PM, gigpusher said:

Yes for me it's part of the build up. Also I think there's a fine line between not planning anything and wandering aimlessly and always missing out on everything. I just make lots of very fluid plans. I tend to look at it each morning to remind myself what's on offer but I have sacked off all plans and sat in those deckchairs in the theatre and circus fields for several hours before and had a bloody brilliant time. 

My very first festival, I planned to go and see Tony Joe White in the Acoustic but got stuck in the Theatre Fields running around the field singing the Flintstones song and pretending to be an ostrich while ambushing innocent people.  Didn't regret it.  (though I did see a bit of TJW which I'm pleased about as he died a couple of years after).

Last time I spent time in the Glasto Latino tent learning to Salsa, again no regrets.

On 3/28/2022 at 1:39 PM, jfaragher said:

This is similar to mine, which is -  yes you probably do need a piss, just squeeze one out now whilst you're passing, and save yourself a trek later.

Yep, if you pass a toilet without a queue, go even if you don't think you need it.

And after 2019, similar thing for water, if you pass a tap without a queue, fill your bottle, drink it and fill it again.  Only festival I have ever been to where I swear I drank more water than beer!

3 hours ago, Neil said:

been 25 times and never seen it.

It's still a relatively new thing - The Teapot only made it's Glastonbury debut in 2019, after starting out at Bearded and a couple other smaller festivals in 2018.

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

I did wonder if you'd skipped 2,cos I've seen you write recently that the first was 86 and for mine I have to tot it up from my sig, as though counting on my fingers 😉

my first was 86 i might havw miscounted.