The Beginner's Guide To Glastonbury Festival?

K2SO

Remember to keep wandering. Allow yourself a wobbly* amount of time in each venue etc, and press on.

Oh, and before you head off on your journey into 'it', make sure you really do know where your tent is. You will need to get back to it in the dark and possibly totally fucked up. Triangulation of reference points is your best bet to achieve this. Once you know how to get back then you can go 'in' easy. 

Have fun.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Remember to keep wandering. Allow yourself a wobbly* amount of time in each venue etc, and press on.

Oh, and before you head off on your journey into 'it', make sure you really do know where your tent is. You will need to get back to it in the dark and possibly totally fucked up. Triangulation of reference points is your best bet to achieve this. Once you know how to get back then you can go 'in' easy. 

Have fun.

Oh this! I like to go to the loo after the first tent beers then try to find my way back before setting off!

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Oh this! I like to go to the loo after the first tent beers then try to find my way back before setting off!

I have never got lost at Glastonbury. Mind you, I always camped in the same area for all the years that i went. I did manage to get myself lost at Bestival when it was on the Isle of Wight. When I woke up in the morning (in someone else's flattened tent), it was to find that I was about 5 foot from my own tent.

Enjoy what you can... Hope to see more.. Don't turn into a glasto flake... 

Camp in glasto 

Don't wash. Drink 

Be nice 

Trust but only when you feel you can... You'll be to feel it

Like no one. But make life long friends.. 

Peace and cider 

One suggestion (and don't howl me down till you've read to the end) is to take a fold up camping chair (one of those that folds up into a bag that you can easily carry over your shoulder).

When you are wandering/bimbling around by day you may just want to sit from time to time and chill.  If the ground is wet you can get out your chair and sit. Also if you are watching a big stage like The Pyramid from a distance you can open it and sit.

However there are some golden rules about chairs.  A lot of people that hate them, so never open up your chair in a busy area.  If you do sit, perhaps in a chairy area, always check with the people behind you to make sure you are are not blocking their view or encroaching on their space.

So a chair with care.

Edited by grumpyhack
  • Upvote 2

On 3/14/2022 at 9:21 PM, K2SO said:

Our group is going to have at least one first-timer in it this year (potentially 3, depending on re-sales) and the rest of us have been brain-storming to think of things that you'd reccommend first-timers to see/do at Glastonbury.

We're not looking for the obvious ones of "Watch the fireworks" or "See somebody you've never heard of" we are looking for things that are just SO GLASTONBURY such as visit the Dragon.

Have you guys got any good suggestions?

Don't follow your mates around all weekend - go off on your own for some of the time. 

Deliberately get lost. 

Talk to random strangers. 

• Upvote 1

Carry a refillable water bottle.

Use the free lockups.

Wander without purpose but set your approximate direction with some consideration for the time of day.  It’s a huge site so no point trekking to SE corner or Pangea at 11am, when there’s nothing much going on, and other parts of the site will have lots to offer.

Never pass by a compost toilet with no queue without asking yourself if you need a shit. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

One suggestion (and don't howl me down till you've read to the end) is to take a fold up camping chair (one of those that folds up into a bag that you can easily carry over your shoulder).

When you are wandering/bimbling around by day you may just want to sit from time to time and chill.  If the ground is wet you can get out your chair and sit. Also if you are watching a big stage like The Pyramid from a distance you can open it and sit.

However there are some golden rules about chairs.  A lot of people that hate them, so never open up your chair in a busy area.  If you do sit, perhaps in a chairy area, always check with the people behind you to make sure you are are not blocking their view or encroaching on their space.

So a chair with care.

I would up vote that, if I hadn't ran out of the bastards.

9 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Enjoy what you can... Hope to see more.. Don't turn into a glasto flake... 

Camp in glasto 

Don't wash. Drink 

Be nice 

Trust but only when you feel you can... You'll be to feel it

Like no one. But make life long friends.. 

Peace and cider 

I read this in the style of "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sun Screen)" by Baz Luhrman

6 hours ago, lukemack said:

Don't que for anything more than half an hour, unless its something you really really want to see, always another venue/act/bar 

This.

Saw so many people queueing at the water stations last time when there were empty ones a minute further along. 

Same with food, nothing there is worth queuing ages for as there’s always something just as amazing with no queue time. 

My main tip…

Chat to as many random people as possible, it’s the little conversations you have along the way which make Glasto very special. 

9 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Don't follow your mates around all weekend - go off on your own for some of the time. 

Deliberately get lost. 

Talk to random strangers. 

Definitely a big fan of the random solo wander. I meet so many people doing this. Helps if you’re wearing something daft, people always want to talk to you and ask what the hell is going on with your outfit. 

Another recommendation from myself. If someone offers to glitter you up 

Don’t say no!

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I would up vote that, if I hadn't ran out of the bastards.

Got you covered. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Simpo said:

That's fab. Thanks for posting. I'm going to send that to a couple of friends who loved John Peel. well, who didn't love John Peel. 

As an aside, there used to be a photo on here which showed John Peel looking down on a couple lying in the dirt of the ground of the festival, with the bloke providing a cunnilingus service for the woman beneath his head! I seem to recall John Peel stating that he had 'seen it all now'. 

there's a lot to be said for sitting down and resting yourself, yknow - you dont have to be permanently running around seeing/doing/etc etc. Some of my very favourite glastonbury things have happened when ive just been sat down somewhere watching whats going on; a nice nap on the hay bales in the theatre and circus fields, watching the seagulls (the six foot ones) trotting around nicking everyone's chips, a quiet pint in the staff bar by arcadia sat on the sofas was blissful just after a shift one year, lazing at the back of the field when babymetal were doing all sorts of strange things on stage, an hour of yoga followed by a nap in the greenfields - not doing anything can facilitate you doing lots afterwards, cos youre nicely rested! 

• Upvote 1

Actually I think if I could give people any advice it would be this make sure your plans are very elastic especially on Wednesday and Thursday. If something is really busy even if you really wanted to see it either get there well in advance or sack it off and do something else. Your choices are your choices; some will be good and some will be bad but you are not wed to them if you decided to go and see something and you are not enjoying it as much as you thought you would, go and see something else. 

And in a Baz Luhrmann style wear sunscreen even if its overcast. You'll be out in it all day.