The Beginner's Guide To Glastonbury Festival?

K2SO

Our group is going to have at least one first-timer in it this year (potentially 3, depending on re-sales) and the rest of us have been brain-storming to think of things that you'd reccommend first-timers to see/do at Glastonbury.

We're not looking for the obvious ones of "Watch the fireworks" or "See somebody you've never heard of" we are looking for things that are just SO GLASTONBURY such as visit the Dragon.

Have you guys got any good suggestions?

On the Wednesday evening, walk up the hill to the Glastonbury sign but make sure they don't look back until they reach the sign. Then, when they do, on your command, get them to turn around. Video their reaction to the beautiful sea of humanity that stretches out across the valley. One of my favourite things to do with first-timers, I get as much a kick out of their reaction as they do from seeing that view for the first time

• Upvote 4

Tiny Tea Tent. Never ceases to amaze me that such a little oasis of calm exists there. It's the perfect place to stop, get a proper builders tea in a proper mug, and just sit and  gather thoughts for 10 minutes instead of rushing straight to the next thing.

Mik Artistik on Croissant Neuf Bandstand on Wednesday afternoon. Especially as it's going to be sunny. Just glorious weirdness.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We’ve got a first timer in our group this year, I think I’m most looking forward to doing a bar crawl with him on Thursday, he can’t get his head round the fact you can actually do a bar crawl there.

Lol. As if. Get to one. Plan crawl. Six hours later one of you is naked and painted in giraffe spots.

26 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

On the Wednesday evening, walk up the hill to the Glastonbury sign but make sure they don't look back until they reach the sign. Then, when they do, on your command, get them to turn around. Video their reaction to the beautiful sea of humanity that stretches out across the valley. One of my favourite things to do with first-timers, I get as much a kick out of their reaction as they do from seeing that view for the first time

Give them shrooms forty mins before the trek. 

• Like 2

Just wander and smile at everyone. Gaze in wonder at the enormity and beauty of the site, the fields with their colourful patchwork of tents. Treat every minute at the festival as if you might never get back.  And read torts Glasto guide, I still read it avidly. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, K2SO said:

We're not looking for the obvious ones of "Watch the fireworks" or "See somebody you've never heard of" we are looking for things that are just SO GLASTONBURY such as visit the Dragon.

Tbh there isn't an answer to this question, not a proper one anyway. 

The beauty of Glastonbury is that two groups of people can have entirely different festival experiences, exploring and discovering different things. 

Wanna do a 5k run, sit in a naked sauna, do a nature trek, carve stone figures, do laughter yoga and never watch a live act all weekend you absolutely can, and you won't be bored.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The beauty of Glastonbury is that two groups of people can have entirely different festival experiences, exploring and discovering different things. 

Wanna do a 5k run, sit in a naked sauna, do a nature trek, carve stone figures, do laughter yoga and never watch a live act all weekend you absolutely can, and you won't be bored.

This is correct. Let them find their Glastonbury. Hard not to want to show them things mind. 

I'm been thinking about this with someone in our group..

Instead of telling the first timer to come and do this thing or that thing, after you're set up and ready to go, place them at the front of your crew and say 'let's go'.

Stop at the places they want to stop, take an unexpected left turn when they feel like it, etc.

Discovery and exploration is such a cool part of a first glastonbury, and I'm thinking doing this will kinda recreate a bit of that feeling for the rest of us too.

Edited by Simpo
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, K2SO said:

Our group is going to have at least one first-timer in it this year (potentially 3, depending on re-sales) and the rest of us have been brain-storming to think of things that you'd reccommend first-timers to see/do at Glastonbury.

The whole thing is so magical the first time you can't go wrong. 

The woods up by John peel is pretty cool. 

But my #1 has got to be the rabbit hole, if you're into late night stuff. God I love it in there, just a weird kind of magic. 

I've read all the guides and stuff over the internet and kind of regret it now (my first time this year too) + being on here etc. Would just let them explore a bit and give them a good tour so they want to return then make their own way next year

Just now, Kinkyinuit said:

The first thing I'd say is actually don't put too much pressure on having the most magical, wonderful time.

V. good advice that.  I've realised a couple of times, usually after the fact, that I've come away feeling a little deflated because it hadn't met the absolutely unreasonable expectations I'd set myself.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

V. good advice that.  I've realised a couple of times, usually after the fact, that I've come away feeling a little deflated because it hadn't met the absolutely unreasonable expectations I'd set myself.

Still now, after every Glasto, I get the feeling I’ve made wrong choices, could have done this or that instead… even though it was brilliant and I done loads. 

Ask them what they want to do. One thing a day and on the way there, and way back just allow yourselves to be swept along whichever path you fancy.

Also prepare them for a slump at some point from being overwhelmed and fear of missing out of something. Definitely try to see the quieter bits.

I would say allow yourself to rest and relax a bit too. Don't feel guilty if you take some time out to sit down, eat and just people watch for a few hours. Or even just chill by the tent for a bit. It is very easy to overdo it and potentially make the entire experience quite difficult - especially when you're hitting 30k steps a day

• Like 1

Back to @K2SO's original question, if they're up for it encourage them to wander on their own a bit and find what they like.  I did that when my mates first took me in '09, saw a couple of flyers stuck to the longdrops that I thought looked interesting so I buggered off for a bit and arranged where to meet back up with them. 

I had so much fun just following my nose and stopping when I saw or heard something vaguely interesting, without feeling like I was trying to direct those who knew the place better or thinking that I was derailing other plans.

• Upvote 3

Usually when we've got first timers in our group we let them take the lead on the Wednesday as we explore the site. It's tempting to try and pull them from place to place with the promise of all these little areas/venues being amazing, but I think the full effect is lost when it's promised - naturally stumbling upon them is the magic bit.

12 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Yep the only advice I ever give people is to make sure they at least walk around the whole site over the 5 days and try and watch something on at least 4 or 5 non televised stages. That way you are not being too prescriptive but they will experience more of the whole thing. I remember chatting to someone who had been to the festival 3 times and still hadn't even see the park stage. The joy is that there's something for everyone and that something isn't the same for everyone. 

• Upvote 1